1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will a Christian ever go to hell?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by James_Newman, Sep 4, 2004.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Perhaps one or two went to one of those seminaries that uses a pastor's basement for its campus, and has a smaller library than has my two-year-old grandson.

No, of course not, especially if it is a KJO “seminary” (actually, I believe that they call them Bible Institutes, a “school” where none of the faculty knows so much as what a college is).

And yes, there are some whacked-out seminaries, but there are also some excellent ones. And beside the seminaries, there are some fine universities where both the Old and News Testaments are extensively studied not only in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, but also in ancient translations into Latin, Syriac, Coptic, and Ethiopic. Can you name even one KJO who has even the academic qualifications to be admitted to one of these schools, let alone graduate with a doctorate from one of them?

KJOism is both a spiritual and an intellectual sickness that is so severe as to greatly handicap all those who suffer from it. And this same sickness so severely weakens both the spirit and the mind of those who are afflicted that they are susceptible even to the most foolish and demonic teachings, including those of Joey Faust.

Normal people, without this sickness, and with average intelligence and the determination to do so, can learn very much about the Bible without ever studying it in a seminary or university, and we have many such people on the message board. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Craig;
    If, as you say, this thread is NOT about levels of intelligence nor whether or not one is "educated" ; why then would you display such arrogance as the above quoted statements?
    Whose criteria are you using for "normal people"?
    You make sweeping charges that "none of the faculty knows so much as what a college is."; and then say this thread is not about our intelligence? Why then make such condemnatory statements such as you have posted?

Craig, shame on you. You are displaying the VERY SAME attitudes you have sweepingly condemned KJB believers of alledgedly doing. There is a word for this.
    Then you accuse ME of being hypocritical?
    You are WRONG Craig. This is NOT about purgatory. Should you learn a little something about purgatory you would know this.
    In your blanket dismissal of the truth of accountability you are, by implication, saying that we are not accountable to God for our behavior after we are saved. That, my dear brother in Christ, is heresy. Evan Paul testifies against this when he says, "shall we sin all the more that grace may abound? God forbid!" (loosely quoted) Indeed, the WHOLE OF SCRIPTURE proclaims that God demands obedience of His children. Not to MAKE them His children, but BECAUSE they ARE His. Else how will the world know we are His unless we BEHAVE like it?

When you stepped off the subject to attack the training, education and intelligence of KJB believers, you left yourself open for someone to point out the error of your arrogance and uncalled for condemnatory charges. [​IMG]
    In His service;
    Jim
    PS Yes Craig, I CAN name a KJVO who has the qualifications to be admitted to one of "your" schools. In fact he has a doctorate in Jurisprudence.
    His name is David Gibb, director and founder of the Christian Law Association. [​IMG] :rolleyes: :D

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

You guys kill me. You can't answer the arguments so you shoot subjective KJVO and Purgatory cannons (no-cannonballs) across the bough and I'm sure it makes you feel much better. BOOM!

I could send you a large list of respected scholars who were not KJVO, who went to a "respectable" seminary, and who believe in Millennial exclusion. You could go here and study for yourself.

http://www.inthebeginning.org/schoettle/booksonline.htm

Lacy

[ September 14, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Lacy Evans ]

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Craig;
    Forgive me please, it was not you who accused my of being hypocritical.
    [​IMG]
    DHK; rather than ACCUSE the brethren, perhaps you should be more like the Bereans?
    In His service;
    Jim

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

It is ironic that someone with a view on salvation which is practically identical with RC theology (Conditional security) would accuse someone (who teaches the Baptist doctrine of Eternal security) of teaching Catholicism.

You have not proven with even one verse of scripture or one Biblical precedent that the doctrine of Millennial exclusion is similar to RC Purgatory.

For that matter your statement "Catholics simply have too much respect for the word of God to do such a thing." makes me wonder if you could (would) adequately refute the RC doctrine of purgatory.

The similarities are minimal and the differences profound. (Much the same way that Mass and The Lord's table use the same elements but then the similarities break down.)

Until you offer some (loaded) proof, (No more empty BOOMS!) your associating my beliefs with RC Purgatory is nothing more than subjective railing.

Lacy

5. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jim, All that I am sayin is that you ought to be consistent. If you are going to use a quote from William Tyndale, and then insist on using the KJV, that is inconsistent. Why not use Tyndale's Bible from where you took the quote and be consistent. It was Tyndale who challenged the Anglican Bishop that he would put a Bible (his Bible) in the hand of every ploughman of England. And by his death he had. But it was the Tyndale Bible, not the KJV.
    DHK

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no intermediate state. There is no "purgatory" concept in the Bible. Paul always taught that we would go straight to Heaven when we die. He looked for the imminent return for the Lord. He looked to be immediately with the Lord at death. He says it again in Philippians:

Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

To die is gain; not pain.

He was looking forward to seeing Christ--immediately, after his death. He would wait no longer.

Paul was confident of this thing:
    2 Corinthians 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

We would prefer to die. The same idea occurs in Php 1:23: "Having a desire to depart and to be with Christ; which is far better." The sense is, that Paul would have preferred to die, and to go to heaven, rather than to remain in a world of sin and trial. (Barnes)
    DHK

9. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Keep reading

Most of us believe in eternal security. But the question here is not the Lord's presence, it is his acceptance. WE LABOUR! (That means work!), Not to be present, not to recieve the FREE GIFT, but to be accepted.

You have to divide it brother or you end up with Roman Catholic Salvation/assurance by works. They Labour to be saved. They labour for the gift. They labour for assurance. This is the heresy that millions of martyrs died for rejecting.

We labour to be accepted at the JSOC. (Where only Once-Saved-Always-Saved, Eternally secure believers appear and are present.) We labour for reward, for the prize, the crown.

Divide the Gift and the Prize. A little kid knows the difference.

When my Daddy was angry, when I was disobedient, his presence was the last thing I was worried about. He chastened me sore yet he never disowned me. When I was being chastened I was definately IN HIS PRESENCE. (Ouch)

Click Verse for Commentary Notes

Ps 139:8
    If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell,[ouch] behold, thou art there.

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

DHK;
    First;(in order of importance) the scripture you have posted does NOT say that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. It says AND to be present with the Lord, not IS to be present with the Lord. Do you know the difference between the words, 'and' or 'is'? The two words are not the same. Not in English, nor in Greek, nor in Spanish for that matter. Therefore, your premise is false for it is based on a false reading of the given Scripture. You have commited isegesis, not exegesis. You have put in your doctrine rather than taken it out of Scripture.

Secondly; you are again in error. The quote is NOT from Tyndale's Bible. It is from his MOUTH. My statement had NOTHING to do with a Bible version. In context it was about the arrogance of SOME who think they are superior to others based solely on where they got their education. And YOU KNOW IT.

Thirdly, who says quoting a preacher and then using a different Bible than he is inconsistent? That is ridiculous! If that premise were true then you could NEVER quote Paul!!!! Or Ireneaus or Polycarp!
    And no, again you are wrong. By the time Tyndale died, every plowman in England did NOT have the scriptures. That day was a long way off.
    C'mon DHK, at least be historically accurate, if not reasonably accurate.
    In His service;
    Jim

11. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I don't see any verse in the Bible that says we ever "go to Heaven". Paul never mentions us "being in heaven". I'm not saying we don't go there, but this much I know: We don't do anything in heaven during the 1000 year reign of Christ. We'll either be here reigning with him or we're not.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The judgement seat of Christ is that which is described in 1Cor.3:11-15. It has nothing to do with any kind of "purgatory." It is a judgement of the "works" of the believers. If the works stand they shall gain reward. If the works do not stand the purifyin process they shall suffer a loss of reward. There is nothing of any punishment indicated those verses. We shall all give account, yes. But in 1Cor.3:11-15, the account is of the works that we do and do not do. It has nothing to do with punishment. You take Scripture out of context. My sin has already been paid for at the cross of calvary. I don't have to pay for them agan. You imply that the sufficiency of the blood of Christ was not enough to pay for the penalty of our sins.

Accepted in the Scripture. What does it mean? "Well done thou good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of thy Lord." The acceptance is one of degree, one of reward. It has nothing to do with salvation.
    The entire sense of the verse is this:
    Whether we labor: (that is labor on this earth with our eyes toward the coming of Christ with our reward in view), or whether we be absent (from this body) we will be accepted by the Lord.

One never labours to be saved. This is the heresy that you are expousing.
    "For by grace are ye saved through faith. It is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast." Either you believe it or not. Apparently you don't. Salvation is not of works. This is plain and simple. We labour. We will be rewarded for our labour at the judgement seat of Christ.

So God is not present with you now? Has He forsaken you altogether. Do you not believe you have the indwelling of His Spirit? Hebrews 12, speaking of chastening applies only to this earth. When I go to the Lord, I am in His presence. When I became His child He promised never to leave me; He also promised to chastise me. The chasizement is never carried over to Heaven. That is a heresy.

A figurative passage that David uses to describe the omnipresence of the Lord that you have taken out of context. Nice try.

Read Revelation 19. We are in Heaven, and will come with Christ at the end of the seven year Tribulation to reign with Christ. Read 1Thes. 4:17-20. The rapture will take place, which is the first resurrection. We will spend 1000 years in Heaven with our glorified bodies.
    Rev. 20:5 The dead (spiritually dead—unsaved) lived not again til the thousand years were finished. The second resurrection, the resurrection of the damned, the unsaved will take place after the Millennium.
    Rev.20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection. That took place 1000 years earlier at the rapture, as the Scripture verifies here. They shall come with Christ (as it describes in Rev.19) with Christ to rule on earth for 1000 years.

Revelation 20:12-15 Refers only to the unsaved. The dead in Christ, the unsaved, the damned, the condemned—those who have rejected Christ will be thrown into the lake of fire for all eternity. This has nothing to do with believers whatsoever.
    Nothing you have quoted has anything to do with any such "purgatory" at all. You espouse a heresy.
    DHK

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is correct. That is what he said.
    That is not what I was referring to.

That is right. That is the inconsitency of a KJVO.

From the History of the Bible--Dixon's Analytical Bible.

Tyndale made the challenge. Tyndale completed the work. Tyndale's Bible was circulated among the English speaking Bible. If you issue a challenge concerning a specific version of the Bible, then you ought to stick to that version. Tyndale's quote that you used was in direct reference to the version that he was about to make. But you would never touch that version.
    DHK

14. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Jim wrote:

Lacy wrote,

I don't believe that Christians are accountable for their sins so if they sin they loose their salvation. :D

15. Craigbythesea

Your sin has been remitted.

John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

16. Craigbythesea

I kept reading, and reading, and reading, but nowhere did I find any mention of purgatory during the millennium.

17. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

The judgement seat of Christ is that which is described in 1Cor.3:11-15. It has nothing to do with any kind of "purgatory." </font>[/QUOTE]I agree. Nothing at all to do with Purgatory.

What "reward" will we recieve for the "bad" things we have done in the body? Read it. That is what it says. How can you be rewarded for bad things and it not be considered punishment? The slap on the wrist, take away a cookie doctrine is not in this verse.

Do I?

I agree sin has been 100% paid for. That is not the issue at the JSOC. Only saved folks are there in the first place. Your eternal standing in Christ has already been settled before this judgment begins.

AMEN! That is what i keep saying.

AMEN! That is what i keep saying.

How can I be "espousing that heresy" when I keep saying the exact opposite? Have you read my posts?

Apparantly? Apparant means obvious, visible, or easily seen. If you would read, you would see that I said the exact same thing you did. "We will be rewarded for our labour at the judgement seat of Christ."

There is not one verse to support this statement.
    Perhaps you are correct. I have been wrong many times. But verses to prove it so would be better than just words and opinions.

A figurative passage that David uses to describe the omnipresence of the Lord that you have taken out of context. Nice try. </font>[/QUOTE]A verse that proves the omnipresence of God AND the presence of God in Hell. If hell is used as chastisement, God is there. Absent from the body, present with the Lord has no relevance.

Without scripture, that is just a tradition. The verse says we reign with him on earth!

Lacy

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Without scripture, that is just a tradition. The verse says we reign with him on earth!

Lacy
    </font>[/QUOTE]That was an error. We will spend 1000 years on earth reigning with Him in our glorified bodies. I did not mean to put Heaven there. We will spend 7 years in Heaven with our glorified bodies, for we will be raptured before the Tribulation, and then come back with Christ to reign with Him for a thousand years.
    DHK

19. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Your sin has been remitted.</font>[/QUOTE]Does he get his salvation back? :(

Lacy

20. Craigbythesea

Without Scripture, Kingdom Exclusion Theology is heresy. There is not even one verse in the entire Bible in which either chastisement or punishment of the Christian is mentioned in reference to any millennial period.

You can call me an “ingrate” and criticize my beliefs all that you want to, but you can not post even one verse from the Bible that specifically supports the heresy for which you are arguing in a Baptist forum to the peril of young and weak believers. Don’t change the subject. Simply admit that you have no scriptural support for the heresy that you are espousing.

Enough of the lie, here is the truth:

1. Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
    2. He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
    3. and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.
    4. And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
    5. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6. Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
    7. Now when the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison
    8. and will go out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea.
    9. They went up on the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them.
    10. And the devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (Rev. 20:1-10, NKJV)