1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Blogging Kill Discussion Boards like the BaptistBoard?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Hardsheller, Dec 24, 2005.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardsheller, thanks for the comments and help. If the interaction becomes easier and users multiply, perhaps it will rival something like this discussion board.

I think one difference is that on the blogs (except for extremely well-known bloggers) the readership is more limited and so the variety of discussion and debate is also limited. Probably in some respects it's just what appeals to people. Maybe it's like choosing to go to Wal-Mart for most everything, or going to needs-specific stores for a specific item or two. BB has everything from politics to computers to sports to theology. Seems most blogs will usually be more limited. I feel like the BB kind of format will always have a following, but the number of users might drop off.

Thanks for dropping by and visiting my blog.

2. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One other comment after spending about a week and a half blogging and reading blogs. I find much of the same kind of interest there as here. If one can post a controversial topic that allows for a lot of opinion it will be a hot blog. If one wants to discuss scripture, it will kind of drag.

A few months back, there was a thread about Rosa Parks sitting on a bus seat that quickly ran to ten pages. When we started another one to discuss the implications and application of Romans 13, we struggled to get on to the second page. Blogs seem to share this in common with discussion boards, and may tend to be even more that way.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

RL

You're doing a great job on your blog. You reminded me of Shaped Note Singing which my Daddy loved to do.

I wish I had learned from him.

Jim S.

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Hardsheller.

It's not too late to learn shape notes! there are some shape note singers of the Sacred Harp variety in the Columbia area. Check 'em out if you get the chance.

http://columbiafasola.missouri.org/

5. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Regarding the effects of Blogging - Some observations.

Every Computer owner with an internet connection has all the tools necessary to become a publisher, author and commentator. It is a "Literary Insurgency of the Nobodies"(c)* and it is affecting the news media, government, and most organizations and institutions. One example is the Southern Baptist Convention and the blogging of an IMB Trustee.

1. Most Blogs will fade into obscurity.
    2. Some few will reveal talented personalities who will have an impact on the Christian world at large and their church and denomination in particular.
    3. Some will become valuable resources for information on specific subjects.
    4. Many will prove that any words spoken in public or private by Christian leaders will be subject to instant scrutiny and comment thereby racheting up the level of accountability that all of us should already be striving for in our speech, teaching and preaching.

* (c) copyrighted phrase coined by the author of this post.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ed, come over and visit me. You can blog paragraphs if you like! (See link a few posts above).

I think one thing could be the content of the blog. Some blogs appear to be written as more of an online diary or something -- one's personal musings just in case someone out there" is interested -- anyway, something that wouldn't incite much response. Another thing, as I mentioned above, is that the controversial topics that "invite" our opinions and excite our emotions are more likely to be "hot", even on the Baptist Board.

I also think that part of the problem is the fact that blogging is so new. When I was new to discussion boards, adding a post was somewhat daunting. Now it's second nature. Plus, since a lot of the bloggers are new, like me, often the blog sites are not as user friendly as they could be. When I first opened mine, the default setting was that a person had to have a blog account to add a response. Once I figured that out, I changed it to allow anyone to make a comment. On the blog I have, there seems to be no longer of how long a response a person can write if they're of a mind to!

Jim, I think those are some fairly accurate observations.

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i've got a couple of blogs of my own, and i tend to post more on message boards still.
    So i don't think blogs are taking away from message boards.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have not blogged yet. I tend to save my material for Sunday [​IMG]

9. leesw

leesw Member

Well, there is so much similarity between blogs and forums. Some forums have blogs as part of the forum. In some ways, in a forum, everyone gets their own blog!

At http://www.gracecentered.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi people post blogs/articles and others respond. I'm not sure how that is much different to a blog, except that it's not the same person over and over again.

I kind of think that blogs are beginning to saturate the net a little bit. Some will rise to the top and people will continue to read their articles, but, eventually, the new is going to wear off the candy and people are going to say, "Why am I reading this guy? I've never heard of him."

Maybe.

10. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Share it with all of us on your new blog! Many pastors are simply blogging their sermons. A good way to share.

11. Gene Hawks

Gene Hawks New Member

Message and Chat boards are not going away. I have a website ministry of my own. Written material and Lord willing sound coming soon. I personally think It's great, however message boards exist for those who desire dialogue. There will always be those of us who, want to ask a question or make a comment. You just can't do that with a blog or website.

12. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember a few years ago when the question was if email would replace snail mail?

13. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Well Gene,

You obviously haven't been reading Wade Burleson's Blog, (the Oklahoma Baptist Pastor who serves as a Trustee on the International Mission Board of the SBC). Since Tuesday evening at 9:27pm he has had 3126 hits on his blog site and one blog has 131 comments.

Click Here

You can dialogue on a blog and ask questions. People do it all the time.

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Hey just do like I do and use both. I like them both.

I just started the OP to get the opinion of the group.

I think Blogging is the coming thing. I think as it evolves it will become more popular among "some" Christians than discussion boards like this.

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Blogs are the natural evolution of homepages. I remember when homepages were first starting up, everyone was making one and sending it to all their friends. But noone would actually update their personal homepages or visit someone else's homepage unless there was conversation going on. Hence the blog which is all about conversation with a "preacher".

Message boards are a very different dynamic of conversation where the focus is not the "preacher" but the topic.

I find it amazing that newsgroups are still kicking around with the popularity of message boards. I personally cannot stand the format of newsgroups where I need to filter through every single post to find topics of interest to me.

I don't think message boards will ever be replaced by blogs. They are simply two different beasts.

16. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Remember Alta-Vista Search Engine?"

Of course, remember Timex computers? Remember ....
    :eek: it scares me what I can remember! :D

17. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

I like to read Blogs but was frustrated by having to bookmark all the sites and then browse to them to read.

I found the answer. http://www.futureglue.com/

intraVnews is the name of the software and it's free.

It is a Feed reader for Microsoft Outlook

This software is a free add on for your Microsoft Outlook program and works inside your email program delivering Blogs and other Sites right to your desktop inside Outlook as they are updated - just like email.

Restrictions:

You must have and use Outlook for your email (outlook express will not work)

You must download the correct program that matches your Microsoft .Net Framework software. If you do not have this you can get it on the Microsoft Update Page.

You will have to set up which blogs you wish to subscribe to. Sometimes this can be tricky as you have to find out what the feed URL is not the main URL.

I have used this software for over a week now and it has performed up to my expectations.

18. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

See what I meant by the Original Post?

I haven't been on the Baptist Board for weeks!

Too busy reading all the great blogs!

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I've never read a single sentance from any blog anywhere, and I wouldnt know an "Ipod" if it walked in the room right now...much less a "podcast", whatever that is. :D

Mike

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Many of us do both [​IMG]