1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

will Christians be held responsible

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by massdak, May 12, 2003.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

for mothers who kill
    their children?

the latest mom Deanna LaJune Laney murderess has done the unthinkable, it is reported that she sits in her jail cell singing gospel music, much like the yates mom who also killed her kids by drowning them she must be in some type of cultic religion. but you know the liberal media will blame Christianity anyway.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Well, in all fairness, I think Christianity should be blamed for letting people think that salvation means they don't have to do jail time. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a well-meaning person say "Christ paid the price, so [insert criminal name here] shouldn't be forced to spend their lives in jail, because they're a Christian."

3. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

what examples do you have of real born again believers that do not want to take responsibility for thier actions?
    or are you saying all who call themselves Christian?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Are you saying it doesn't happen, or that people who espouse such a view aren't really born again?

5. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i was asking you more the same question, you act as if it is a common occurrence for born again believers to use their salvation as an excuse to commit crime with no recourse. you are showing disdain in my opinion for Christians

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've unfortunately heard that line of thinking amongst the pews of several Baptist congregations, and, on one occaision, from a pulpit. I'm not saying that that's how most born again believers think, but it's more frequent than it should be, imo.

7. Larry in Tennessee

Larry in Tennessee New Member

Christ paid the price for their debt before God, if that person is truly a born again believer. However, that does not do away with a person's debt to society imo.

Love in Christ,
    Larry

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I believe in 'once saved, always saved'. I do not believe one can lose his salvation. If that were true, Jesus would have to die on the cross again to give us back our salvation. He died for us once and for all.

On the other hand, that does not give us a license to sin. We will keep our salvation, but we will surely pay the consequences of our wrong deeds.

If Deanna Laney is truly 'born again', she will go to Heaven; but she will also be punished here for what she did. Contrary to popular belief, there are many born again believers serving time in prison.

Being saved does not mean we are perfect, it means we are forgiven.

Blessings,
    Sue

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I have never heard that line of thinking, except on TV. You might want to find a new set of pews to be amongst. Christ forgave us our debts to Him. He didn't tell the justice system to do the same.

10. bapterian

bapterian New Member

"...she must be in some type of cultic religion"

She might be. Then again, don't be surprised if the name of her church has "baptist" in it.

Deanna LaJune should pay for her crime to fullest extent of the law. Christians are not exempt from the consequences of their sins. God sets up governments and courts to prosecute those that commit evil (Romans 13). Deanna is accountable to God for her actions and she is also accountable to man's laws that God has ordained and set up.

Yes, Jesus paid for the remission of our sins, but only God knows the condition of Deanna LaJune's soul. We cannot assume that she is saved because she is singing hymns in jail and professing Jesus' name. Jesus said that many will call Him "Lord" and He will tell them "I never knew you". This is the one of the hardest sayings of Jesus and a sobering thought for all of us. It smacks "easy-believism" right in the face.

It makes me cry thinking about what she did to her children! May God have mercy on her soul.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

My son spent more then two years in prison, was saved as a child,and I still agree with you John. We all sin, and sometimes those sins are against the law. Now Jesus died for our sins, thast true, but when they are also against the law, we have the conquensess to deal with too, He paid for our sin, but we have to face the conquensess. sorry about spelling.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

what examples do you have of real born again believers that do not want to take responsibility for thier actions?
    or are you saying all who call themselves Christian?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I think in Johns quote, it is the well meaning person(not necessarily the one who did the crime) saying that since they were christian they shouldn't have to go to prison. And I can tell you just when this did happen. When christians said that becasue the prisoner was a chrisitan now they shouldn't have to pay fot their crime, a vicious, horroable crime where two people were hacked to death with an ax.
    Carla Faye Tucker, who was exceted in Texas a few years ago. Her conquence to her sin.

You are so very right Sue, we all sin, and someties our sin is against the law. I met several men in prison who were christiasn who sinned strayed from God then sinned and commited a crime.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

sorry double post.

14. christine

christine New Member

I think we will answer to God for what we do, one day. However, I don't think that should exonerate us from punishment here on earth.
    I believe she has comitted the most horrific crime known to man. As mother's we are give a special trust from God, man, our children. I believe that harming your own child in anyway, is the ultimate betrayal of trust. We are here to protect them from all the bad and evil.
    I think she should be put to death, if for no other reason, then to remove the possibility of her having future children to harm.
    Christine :(

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be very surprised. I haven't noticed a propensity in the press for protecting conservative evangelical groups from negative exposure. In fact, the opposite seems to be true.

If she were a conservative Baptist or some other type of fundamentalist Christian, the press would have undoubtedly used it as a source of whatever mental disconnect or distorted view caused her to murder those kids.

16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting in what you all said... But I pose this question for you all to ponder... When a person is baptised does he leave the devil in the water or does a wet devil follow him out? :eek: ... I thought we give Christ all the credit but then again Saul of Tarsus was a righteous man in the eyes of his brethren on his Damascus road... Watch it when you call your Brother Racca thou fool... Because in doing so who is shown the real fool?... Brethren on here like to accuse and excuse one another and say I'm not that man or woman... Look in the mirror... Think again... We are all righteous in our own eyes but in the eyes of the Lord we all stand naked... Brethren still want to show us their fig leaves when God prepared the sacrifice and clothed us when we couldn't cloth ourselves!... Brother Glen :(

17. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Brother Glen, once again you bring the scripture into the light and help us to see His wonderous wisdom.

18. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we will here in time... On this side of heaven. If we have to answer in heaven for anything we did here would not that make Jesus Christ a failure?... He said he would save all his people will he do it or lose some?... If he died for all your sins why do you think some remain when you go to glory?... Did you know that there are heavens and hells for Gods people this side of heaven?... Read your Bible many go there before dying a natural death... There are heavens and hells on earth... Talk to some who have been there!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be very surprised. I haven't noticed a propensity in the press for protecting conservative evangelical groups from negative exposure. In fact, the opposite seems to be true.

If she were a conservative Baptist or some other type of fundamentalist Christian, the press would have undoubtedly used it as a source of whatever mental disconnect or distorted view caused her to murder those kids.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I stand corrected... kind of...

...Well at least until the other shoe drops.

I wonder if this church has ties to the Brownsville or Toronto movements? I have heard people claim that some of the charasmatic experiences in these movements were demonic.

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we will here in time... On this side of heaven. If we have to answer in heaven for anything we did here would not that make Jesus Christ a failure?... He said he would save all his people will he do it or lose some?... If he died for all your sins why do you think some remain when you go to glory?... Did you know that there are heavens and hells for Gods people this side of heaven?... Read your Bible many go there before dying a natural death... There are heavens and hells on earth... Talk to some who have been there!... I have been to hell and am back and do you have the strength to go where I have been?... And if I really told you all my testimony you wouldn't believe it but Brother Glen is a changed man!... And brethren it took me fifty years to get there and I always thought I was a pretty good fellow... You may know me on the board but you really don't know me... Brother Glen [​IMG]