1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Apr 26, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Very well said... Noah was a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5) just like the others. Moses, the Church in the Wilderness (Acts 7:38). God has always had a spokesman to speak to every generation (excluding the 400 years between the testaments) calling sinners to repentance... Well said.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree... If it were not about forced acceptance they would accept civil unions.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You have to get out of that rarified air.

It is only a matter of time unless there is a spiritual awakening in this country. Of course under Shiria Law all such marriages will be terminated.

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Do you see the day when a church must perform same sex marriages or lose their tax exempt status? I think of Bob Jones university who lost their tax exemption for disallowing inter-racial dating. Now lets not turn this into a Bob Jones bashing forum please. My point is that the gay mafia has made comparisons between the rights of blacks and gay rights.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have a valid point.

Bob Jones university is not a church, but a not for profit corporation ... exactly how most of our churches are incorporated in their states.

Non-profits are subject to non-discrimination laws like other corporations are.

Even if exemptions are included for churches in these laws (which has been the case so far), it only takes a single session in a state legislature to remove that exemption, or a ruling from a state Supreme Court or the SCOTUS.

I really believe this will be an avenue of persecution for evangelical church in the U.S.

peace to you:praying:

Edit to add this story: Judges legalized same-s*x marriages in Iowa. There is a female "pastor" quoted in the story as saying God put her there to perform these "marriages" or words to that effect.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_re_us/us_iowa_gay_marriage;_ylt=A0LEapeW9fVJE5QAvykGw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTJucWljaWFmBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNDI3L3VzX2lvd2FfZ2F5X21hcnJpYWdlBGNwb3MDNQRwb3MDNQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA3NhbWUtc2V4Y291cA--

#25 canadyjd, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  6. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure that will happen in time. That's why I don't like the idea of the government giving money to churches, or as the government puts it "faith based organizations". Generally, there's always some kind of strings attached. Lawyers are always looking for loopholes so they can make money.

7. historyb

historyb New Member

As well as all such people

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Good point... Let's stay in prayer that we all gladly accept the loss of tax exempt status and compromise the beliefs of the Church.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are some (like some militant Christians) going to insist that everyone personally accept their view point? Certainly.

However, Christians do not "own" the USA or the Constitution. In the eyes of the law, gay rights advocates have just as much right to make their case as any other groups.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While you are entitled to your opinion, one of the founding principles of the United States was freedom of religion. This is not a theocracy.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Straw man..............

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a well funded and wide spread effort among g*y rights groups to use the courts, our schools, our public institutions to force the acceptance of their life style upon our society.

I do not see the same sort of effort among "militant Christians" (whoever that is suppose to be).
    They can make their case all they want.

As I said before, I believe it to be an avenue for persecution of the church. I wouldn't be surprised if many "Christian" churches joined in the condemnation of those Christians that stood firm in their beliefs on the issue.

They'll probably call us "militant Christians".

peace to you:praying:

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not a straw man. If one intends to apply politically all theological principles, one desires a theocracy.

Not that you will care.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This could not be more false.

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think that the attempt to legislate one particular brand of morality is? Right or wrong, it's basically the same thing--force your way on everyone, whether or not they believe it, because you believe it is "right" or "just."

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vintage revmitchell...deny without explanation.

17. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't been hearing of any legislating for anything you have been talking about. So far, its been legislating the other way. Allowing homosexuals in our military, allowing them to get married, & talking about homosexuality in schools as early as kindergarten. That's what they are doing in the public schools, they are teaching that homosexuality is okay. Kids need to be protected from that. Pushing a lifestyle onto someone will not make people accept them, it will only repel them.

People can choose to live the way they want to live. I have no problem with that. They can go march in their parades with their rainbow flags & their upside down triangles. However, the choice(s) that people make will have consequences.

#37 BigBossman, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
  18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think that legislation is (in many cases the status quo) that prevents homosexuals from joining the military, getting married, etc? It's the insistence (based on personal belief) that homosexuality is wrong, so it needs to be legally hindered.

19. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that homosexuality is okay & not sinful?

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm saying you can believe that homosexuality is wrong but also believe that it is not the government's place to enforce your beliefs.