1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think the government should have changed that. They should have left things the way it was. What happens is when you bend on one thing, then eventually, they will break you on other things. That's why I don't believe in compromise. Compromise shows weakness & overtime, the other side (or party) will attack it. That's what has happened to America morally.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Christians have to engage in politics at some point. When you go to the voting booth do you support candidates that hold your biblical values or do you allow ungodly candidates because of how it may effect your wallet.

This country was founded on biblical principles. That is completely different from a theocracy. The first textbooks in schools were bibles. Both our Declaration of independence and many if not all of state constitutions recognize God in some way. And yet it can not be claimed that there was ever a theocracy in this country. Passing laws based on biblical principles does not make a theocracy. There should be no point in a Christians life where God and biblical principles are left out. That is a dual hypocritical life.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Without the Great Compromise, we would not have a country. Compromise is not always weakness, but give and take to resolve and impasse. Republicans and Democrats must compromise with one another in order to pass legislation. Otherwise you get a logjam that will not budge.

Of course, in Congress' case, maybe that would be a good thing. :laugh:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Whose beliefs do you want enforced, then? You do legislate morality. Otherwise, you have anarchy.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are generally accepted principles, such as the right of the individual to be free from harm from others. I'm not saying that some level of morality cannot be enforced, but I do not favor one groups morality being forced on the population, regardless of the group, even if that group is my group.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. If those rebellious traitors had left things as they were, we'd all still be serving our God-given monarch!

Long live the Queen! :thumbs:

(joking)

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you always assume it is about the wallet?

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The country was not founded on biblical principles--it was founded on enlightenment principles. If you sat in a room with the founding fathers, I would bet that you would not theologically agree with more than 2 or 3 of them. You have the Deists like Ben Franklin and Jefferson, along with the Unitarians like John Adams--not exactly representative of the theological tenor of this board.

And the Creator referenced in the DoI could be any god. Sure, many of the states had official religions, even...you know...the kind that liked to persecute Baptists.

And it can be claimed that certain state governments have had theocratic government, especially pre-Constitution.

Passing laws based on biblical principles may not be a theocracy per se, but in the context of a multi-religious, multi-cultural society, basing a law on one particular religion's tenets is neither democratic nor appropriate. If you believe otherwise, just be consistent in claiming that you only care for democracy or representative government if your friends are in charge.

In the USA, the government is the government of the people--not just of Christians. After all, we rebelled against an explictly Christian nation with its monarch in charge of a church.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Your posts indicate an ambivalence regarding the morality of homosexuality. [By the way, they are not "gay"; they are miserable sexual perverts]. It is not a personal believ that homosexuality is wrong. Scripture is very clear that homosexuality is a sin and a perverted lifestyle. For this reasont God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

As for homosexuals being in the military, have you served in the military? I have and it is no place for a homosexual. As for marriage anyone who professes to be a Christian must acknowledge that marriage is between a man and a woman. Even most pagan religions acknowledge this truth.

10. OldRegular

Well Stephan when the Muslims take over you can enjoy life under Shiria Lay and not worry about homosexual rights!

11. OldRegular

The question is not will homosexual marriage pit church against church but is a congregation that endorses homosexuality or homosexual marriage really a "church", the body of Jesus Christ?

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK then...

Just realize that all systems of law enforce morality. The libertine, raunchy, pagan culture of Rome...had a set of laws that enforced a moral code.

We will choose a moral basis for our code. I want no part of a moral code that not only legalizes homosexuality, but insists that I celebrate the lifestyle (e.g., anti-discrimination laws that include sexual orientation).

I repeat...you and I will choose what moral basis our legal system is based upon. Choose wisely.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anti-discrimination laws do not mean that you celebrate the lifestyle. For example, I do not celebrate a Muslim's religious beliefs. However, I respect his or her right to practice religion, even when it differs from mine. I also do not think that we should discriminate against them.

14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here you go...the historical and the Christian definition of marriage is heterosexual. Is same-sex marriage a Christian practice? No.

However, I do not believe that the state's standards should necessarily be the same as Christianity's.

For the record, I was not aware that the definition of marriage was determinative of one's Christian faith.

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will stand firm against any imposition of Sharia Law, as should all Americans who believe in freedom.

16. OldRegular

Then you won't be standing very long!

17. OldRegular

For the record you are wrong! Obedience to what GOD teaches is certainly determinative of one's Christian faith. When GOD created a help mate for Adam HE did not create another Adam; HE created a woman. Both the Old Testament [Genesis 2:24] and Jesus Christ in the New Testament [Mark 10:6-9] teach that marriage is between a man and a woman. For a "professing Christian" to claim otherwise is certainly an indication of his standing with God.

18. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Laughter is the best medicine and I feel great when I read your comments OldRegular! What makes it even more funny is that I know you honestly believe the things you type.

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No laughing on this one. You are right on! :thumbs:

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obedience would be not entering into a same-sex relationship.

The other would simply be incorrect interpretation.