1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Herman Cain be the first black president of the USA?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Mexdeaf, Jun 6, 2011.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying it would be a legitimate argument. I'm simply saying that it would be made. Acknowledging prevailing perspectives about race isn't an endorsement of them.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only because you brought up the "black" issue.
    and what is wrong with the term "mulatto"?

I would rather deal with his political platform, but....

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who calibrates the melanin measuring machines? How much melanin does it take to make one black?

What does melanin have to do with anything anyway?

Selah,

Bro. James

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It has more to do with parentage than it does skin color, by definition. I work with a mulatto girl who is a Christian. I will try to remember to ask her tomorrow what she thinks of the term.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I did not bring up the "black" term. It was already on the thread.

2) The term mulatto can be considered offensive. I know that you don't like political correctness, but this is just a matter of courtesy. You can't change your racial composition, so why make an issue of someone else's?

3) Obama identifies himself as an African-American and/or black. Why can't we just accept this and move on?

Should we correct people who self-refer as white when their skin is actually closer to tan or peach?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what term should be used for a mixed race person?

"A-A" is too broad of a term and too misleading. As far as black - If I were 1/64 black, would you have a problem if I referred to myself as a black person?

And actually yes, we should move on - and not even discuss the color....

Actually most Caucasian do not self refer as white

Like you said - lets move on and discuss why men like Cain, Pawlenty, Santorum would be a much better President than Obama.

Therefore, my discussion on color has come to an end.

7. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

This :applause: :applause:

8. mandym

mandym New Member

And why would anyone think Obama is not black? Unless maybe they are color blind.

9. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

That's because many Caucasians aren't white. Asian Indians are classified as Caucasians but they aren't white. Many white people in the United States wrongly equate "Caucasian" with "white". I'm one who does, on the rare occasion I'm asked for my race, self-refer as white.

I think the term "African American" is a fine term. However, it is too narrow to be used as a racial category because not all black people are Americans. I only use it when I want to refer to Americans who are racially black. I normally say "black" when I want to refer to black people; "African" or "Negro" also work, but I tend to avoid the term "Negro" because it's outdated.

I like talking about race because it's interesting how different people groups differ in heritable characteristics. The more I study this topic, the more I become convinced of the reality of race. I don't think a perfect classification scheme can be developed, but it's pretty obvious that people groups differ in myriad ways involving heritable traits. Of course, this doesn't make one racial group superior over any other or any less in the image of God and I believe in equal rights for all people, irrespective of heritage.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Multiracial or biracial.

Why is it too broad or misleading? Generally it refers to an American of African ancestry.

If you were 1/64 black, I would wonder why you would refer to yourself as black and not as another ethnicity that composed part of the other 63/64 of your ethnic background. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it, but I admit that I would find it odd. I would think that the African-American community might take issue with it, though.