1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will only the pure in heart see God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have heard it said that "only" the pure in heart shall see God. What are your thoughts on this subject please.

KJMatt.05
    "8": Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

John, chapter 14
    9": Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Revelation, chapter 1
    "7": Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
    :godisgood:

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To take that position from the "sermon on the mount," then it should also be true that only the "poor in spirit" shall be in the Kingdom of Heaven, only those that mourn shall be comforted, only the peacemakers shall be called the Children of God,.... et al et al.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, who else could be comforted except those who mourn in the sense its talking about and I don't see nothing wrong with only the peace makers shall be called the Children of God, do you? Don't take me wrong for I believe the Lord when He said "if you have seen me you have seen the Father" and every eye shall behold Him when He comes back. Reason I am asking this is I have heard it preached before and wondered what everyone on here thought.

#3 Brother Bob, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006
  4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Pure in heart, is that a heart that is made pure by the blood of Christ?

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Of course LeBuick, that is the one pure of hearts there are, I am sure that is what Jesus was talking about in this Scripture in Matt:.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context. In what manner are the "seeing" Him?

Matthew 5 (per vs 9) is speaking of the attributes of the children of God and they are blessed and see Him as their "forgiving Father".

In Revelation 1:7 those who see Him in this context shall "wail" because they also see Him indeed, but they shall see Him as "Judge and Jury".

HankD

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree HankD; Also, Jesus said if you have seen me you have seen the Father and every eye shall behold him in the second coming. Also, the scripture says "them that sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him.
    Anyway, the scripture don't say "only" , it say "blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God".
    I preached on it today and the one I heard preach "only" was sitting there, so I guess he is studying tonight.;)

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Maybe he took it from the word THE, THE being singular group in this case to say that the group of individuals whose hearts have been made pure by the cleasing action of the blood of the lamb, they and only they shall see God.

Question this brought to mind, will the sinners who are damned see God at the judgement?

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That was what he was saying, but "only" left everyone else out, including those in Rev at the judgement, but as the

following scripture say it must mean they will be the only ones who see Him in

heaven on His Throne forever. In other words "pure" redeemed will be the only ones in Heaven and will see Him there but

there are other scriptures that say He is seen of others here or will be seen, for He was with Adam.

All I know is what the Scripture says; "I saw the dead both small and great stand before God".

Also, Jesus said if you have seen me you have seen the Father (God) and in that day "every" eye shall behold Him.

Those that sleep in Jesus will "God" bring with Him.

I think the scripture is saying that the "pure in heart will see God in heaven on His throne" for the unsaved sure won't see Him then.

#9 Brother Bob, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Pure in heart???

Only those who have repented of their sins and have received Jesus----have genuinely received His heart---whose heart only is pure!!! Without the heart of Jesus one cannot see God!!!!

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Was Jesus God?

Did the unsaved see Jesus?

Will the dead both small and great stand before God?

If Jesus is God, will every eye behold Him in the resurrection?

What does it mean, "if you have seen me you have seen the Father (God)?

There is more meaning to that scripture than just "see".

#11 Brother Bob, Oct 8, 2006
  12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

1) Absolutely!

2) Absolutely!

3) Absolutely!

4) Absolutely!!

5) Jesus is just as much God as His Father is!!

6) There absloutely is!!! And those things are spiritually descerned

#12 blackbird, Oct 8, 2006
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Then every eye shall behold him.

The pure in heart will be with Him in Heaven and only they will see Him there.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We did a critical study on this question years ago that turned out very interesting. Though Jesus was Christ, many saw him as a man. The carpenters son. It was not until Peter said thou art the Christ, sone of the living God that even those who were closest to him began to see the dual aspect of his being.

If we take Jesus hand and call him a prophet, will we be saved. No. How does this corrolate to those who saw Him in the flesh yet never saw who he was? I hate to answer your question with a question but that is my question, yes they saw him but not with eyes of faith. So did they see him?

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Matthew, chapter 5 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

LeBuick; it just says "see God" and that is all we have to go on. We know it means more "in Heaven" or as you say "by faith".

Either way, if you are going to preach on it you should explain what you think of how they will see Him for to leave it an open question then someone is going to call your hand on it, like me.

It just says "see God".

Well according to the scriptures every eye shall behold Him and I don't have to guess for Jesus told them that "if you have seen me you have seen the Father (God).

I think they surely knew before Peter spoke the words. John the Baptist said "behold, the Lamb of God".

Hope that answers your question.

And that is the point I tried to make in my sermon today that it was Spiritually descerned and means, the saved being able to "see God" as their savior and in Heaven. Not that anyone was wrong, but that it needed to be explained what "see God" meant, or it would include everyone.

#15 Brother Bob, Oct 8, 2006
  16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

God is invisable

How can anyone see anything invisable???

It is by grace through faith that we see invisable God---and when in Heaven we shall see invisable God through the face of visable Jesus---who is invisable to us at the moment but who knows??? The next moment He may be visably revealed!!!

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

But you are actually agreeing with me on what the scripture means that is to "see God" in Heaven.

#17 Brother Bob, Oct 8, 2006
  18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

See God

But only through the eyes of Jesus!! If we see God at all it'll be through the eyes of His Son!!

It is crystal clear that God tells us that we can only see Him through His Son!!

PS---I, too, find it sometimes "weird" that someone acutally kinda sorta "agrees" with me on some certain doctrine!!!

#18 blackbird, Oct 8, 2006
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

blackbird;
    See God

But only through the eyes of Jesus!!

It is crystal clear that God tells us that we can only see Him through His Son!!

BBob; These two posts just don't add up. I believe the post in quote box is correct.

#19 Brother Bob, Oct 8, 2006
  20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If God is invisible then what or who did Isaiah see

Isaiah 6:1-4 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
    2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
    3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
    4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

Who was the 4th man in the furnace, Nebucadnezzar didn't have eyes of faith.