1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will the GOP Stop FOCA?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Nov 9, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much discussion is taking place in this forum about the Freedom of Choice Act. If the Republicans have at least 41 votes in the Senate - which appears likely - they can stop FOCA by filibustering it. The question is: will the Republicans do it?

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I imagine they will. Though it seems odd to put the onus of responsibilty on the Republican minority. Nancy, Harry, and Barack can bulldoze about any legislation they want now. Republicans can't filibuster everything.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

No! Some of the Republicans in the Senate are pro murder of babies just like some of the "professing Christians" on this Forum. Included are Arlen Spector and the two women from Maine.

4. targus

targus New Member

Well as an Obama supporter you can always hope not - right?

5. OldRegular

I find it hard to believe that any Christian would support the murder of babies!:confused:

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

They can filibuster everything... Constipating the hill won't prove good in 2010 but they can do it.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Guys, I just sincerely apologized in a thread and will try to not let these comments get to me but I do ask if you can slow down on statements like this. There are many reasons to vote for or against a candidate and abortion is just one. I understand to you it is the only or the major one but I am a Christian and don't appreciate my Christianity questioned because of how I voted. If I need to be convicted, I know of a God who is able.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And God is doing just that. Or else you would not have responded to that post in this tone. :praying:

9. targus

targus New Member

BINGO !!!!!

10. OldRegular

I have been posing this question for over 30 years and have yet to get an answer. I will keep asking it as long as I am able.

11. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

Alot is on Obama's plate to clean up Bush's mess

My mistake KenH I thought this had to do with Card check, sorry and rbell it was an honest mistake no need to be a jerk and smarmy.

#11 YOUTUBECANBESAVED, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  12. rbell

rbell Active Member

I notice you completely ignored this FOCA issue. Is it that you have no good answer for legislators that would allow for babies to be killed, or is it that you support the FOCA itself?

I doubt you have the courage to answer this question. This isn't about Bush, his failures, or your hatred of him.

Answer the question posed in the OP. Enough of your politico-speak. Do you support the FOCA? If you do, how do you reconcile your Christian beliefs with a bill that directly contradicts God's law at such a basic level?

13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Brother LeBuick,

The statement: "I find it hard to believe that any Christian would support the murder of babies!" Is not questioning your (or anyone else's) Christianity. It is a simple statement reflecting one believer's inability to understand why any Christian would vote in support of a candidate or party whose legislative record and stated platform is to continue to allow and fight for abortion rights. Given the Bible's stance for honoring human life (created in God's image) I can concieve of no way in which Jesus would support or vote for a pro-choice candidate or party. Therefore, why should we as professing believers and followers of the Lord Jesus Christ do what He would not do?

You are falling into the false ethic of trying to figure out what is the greatest good for the greatest number of people. In doing so you are attempting to assign a weighted measure to a large group of ethical and moral questions and come out with one side out weighing the other. For you this works out so that you place greater weight on a proposed healthcare plan and a proposed economic plan than you place on protecting the unborn. Killing the unborn is ethically and morally wrong and no amount of good done in some other area can change that fact.

Grown adults have a voice and can cry out for better healthcare and better econimic conditions. The unborn have no voice unless we stand up for them.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the simple answer is that some of us Christians decide who to vote for based on including other issues and not abortion alone. I, for one, have explained this several times in this forum. That is why there is no reason to keep repeating OR's question over and over again when it has already been answered over and over again.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If FOCA makes it to the Senate and it looks likely to pass I certainly do hope that it will be filibustered. As I have already stated previously I am not in support of Senator Obama's position on abortion. I also disagree with the President-Elect on DOMA.

#15 KenH, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  16. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

If you could show me (us) from the Scriptures where God the Father or Jesus ever supported the killing of the unborn, of people who were not under the judgment of God, you would have a point. However, you can't make that argument from the Scriptures because it does not exist. Thus, we ask and will keep asking the question.

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

And yet you voted for him and the party that will work hardest to ensure the pro-choice abortion aganda. Amazing contradiction...:confused:

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a contradiction at all. As I have stated previously in this forum my opposition to all abortions does not drive my vote. It is one issue among a plethora of issues that I consider.

19. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I'm sorry Ken, but on this point you speak nonsense and talk in circles. Both your logic and your ethics are flawed on this matter.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not defend how I vote based on the Holy Scriptures because my voting for candidates is based on a plethora of issues, of which abortion is one. Basically, I don't think that a person sins regardless of how he/she votes. About the only instance I can think of where it would be a sin to vote a certain way is if the question of whether Christ Jesus is the Son of God was on the ballot and someone voted no - and I don't see that question ever being put on the ballot in the United States.

I know you don't like my answer but I have answered the question more than enough times in this forum and I do not plan on answering it again.