1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will the Real Bob Woodward Please Stand Up?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Oct 2, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/blog/BlogEntry.asp?ID=727

EXCERPT

Michiko Kakutani, the NY Times' book critic is a shrewd reader of texts, albeit a member of the over-the-top critics of the war crowd. Here is how she begins her review of Bob Woodward's new book:

'In Bob Woodward’s highly anticipated new book, “State of Denial,” President Bush emerges as a passive, impatient, sophomoric and intellectually incurious leader, presiding over a grossly dysfunctional war cabinet and given to an almost religious certainty that makes him disinclined to rethink or re-evaluate decisions he has made about the war. It’s a portrait that stands in stark contrast to the laudatory one Mr. Woodward drew in “Bush at War,” his 2002 book, which depicted the president — in terms that the White House press office itself has purveyed — as a judicious, resolute leader, blessed with the “vision thing” his father was accused of lacking and firmly in control of the ship of state.

As this new book’s title indicates, Mr. Woodward now sees Mr. Bush as a president who lives in a state of willful denial about the worsening situation in Iraq, a president who insists he won’t withdraw troops, even “if Laura and Barney are the only ones who support me.” (Barney is Mr. Bush’s Scottish terrier.) Mr. Woodward draws an equally scathing portrait of Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, who comes off as a bully and control freak who is reluctant to assume responsibility for his department’s failures, and who has surrounded himself with yes men and created a system that bleached out “strong, forceful military advice.” Mr. Rumsfeld remains wedded to his plan to conduct the war in Iraq with a lighter, faster force (reflecting his idée fixe of “transforming” the military), even as the situation there continues to deteriorate.' NY Times, Saturday, September 30, 2006

Well, which is it?

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If you look around, you'll find a lot of people who gradually came to realize what kind of a president Bush is. Woodward has tens of millions of fellows in that regard.

3. Forever settled in heaven

heapsa hubris

including this Op Ed in USA Today:

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In this situation, the judgement -- and fortitude -- of the writer in asking questions, in assessing answers, is absolutely crucial to establishing a reliable picture of what actually took place. That is why Woodward's dramatically inconsistent portrait of Bush is so disturbing. It is even more disturbing in that it corresponds to the shift in Washington attitudes towards Bush between 2002 (before the Iraq war) and after. If Woodward is so susceptible to the tides of opinion how can he navigate readers through the contentious waters of Washington politics. The probability is he can't, which is why this book should be called Caveat Emptor, rather than State of Denial."

5. Vera Hammoudeh

Vera Hammoudeh New Member

I would have to say i agree 100% with Forever settled in Heaven. Because Bush was so blind to what he lead this country into, & Rumsfeld is Pushy & will not take kind to anyone disagreeing with him, & is right & no one else can be in his opionion.

And look at the mess they have us in, & they have no clue as to how to get us out of it either. They walked into hell on earth is what they did, Mr Bush thought he could show his daddy what a BIG Man he is, But has no clue what to do now, does he?

:praying:
    Vera

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Bush wasn't blind when he invaded Iraq. His advisors (Wolfowitz, Rumsfield, Cheney) had this as an objective for 10 years.

7. Forever settled in heaven

Vera, Straightandnarrow,

fear not, for God is still on the throne, n this world isn't (shdn't be) our home anyway.

neocon "Christianity" has made the gospel witness that bit harder, but it hasn't thwarted the purposes of the Almighty one whit.

taken in the light of eternity, there's no need to :BangHead: or :tonofbricks: but only to :godisgood:!

SDG

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I noticed a praying icon at the bottom of your post. Did that mean you prayed for your president today?

Hope so...I pray for the ones I vote for, the ones I wish I didn't vote for, and the ones I never voted for.