1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will The Real Thomas Jefferson Stand Up

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Nevada, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Nevada

Nevada New Member

Listening to the radio, I heard more about the guy going around saying TJ was a regular old Christian. However, in college, I was taught the conservative clergy of the day didn't like him. Once, I went to the library and loaded up a microfilm containing images of newspapers from Jefferson's day. I was quite surprised. The first one I found, had on the front page an article about clergy being mad at TJ over something.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/08/157754542/the-most-influential-evangelist-youve-never-heard-of

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You were taught along the same lines as I was. I have a friend who has been teaching history at a small college for about 30 years and he said he would put Jefferson and Clinton in the same boat, same kind of people in many ways.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, interesting statement, but short of supporting data. Would you elaborate on how Jefferson and Clinton are alike? I would appreciate it very much.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You can looked it up, you have as much time as I do. I believe he was talking about both being very smart, both used talk of Christianity but didn't seem to believe larger parts of it and morals.