1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will the SBC split over the doctrines of sovereign grace?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by reformedbeliever, Sep 27, 2006.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

The problem is POB... that you think making a choice is the cause of regeneration. Call it non work or whatever... it is an exercise of the will, do you agree? Read John 1:12. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, {even} to those who believe in His name,
    13. who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

You see, those who received HIm, those who believe, were born not of the will of man, but of God. Thats not my opinion, but the Holy Word of God.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I appreciate your taking the time to tell me what I think.The Lord according to His Word is not willing for any to perish.Does that mean that none will perish?Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord Shall be saved.What does that mean?Choose this day who you will serve.What does that mean?
    Pastor Bob,Helen, and many others have left many many scriptures about choice and grace regarding this subject all of which have been immediately dismissed by calvinists , so I am not surprized by your remark.Unlike Bob,Helen and the others I am not willing to cover that same ground again.I am not going to get into an arguement over nit picking and hair splitting ideas or words.Few here are wesleyan in thier theology and most come closer or lean in a calvinist direction without completely agreeing.Just a note by way of conversation I have calvinist friends who are both evangelistic and who are witnesses for Christ on a regular and frequent basis so I don't buy into the arguement that to be calvinist means to be non-witnessing.:tonofbricks:

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Reformed,

You not only take great liberty with your statement but you also take your liberty out of context of the passage.

V-9 say the Light has appeared to all men.

but dealing specifically with verse 13 "Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

My reading suggests that of the blood actually carries the idea of "bloods" plural as in nations or ethnic groups. (you language majors can define that if you choose. Since the Jews would have held their linage above all others their birth right was not good enough.

The will of the flesh is akin to those who say I will be a Jew through deciding to be a proselyte to the Jewish religion such a one was Ruth who said "I will".

Lastly it would seem that based on context John would have been referring to the only other way to become a Jew which was by adoption. In another word the will of an individual to adopt another into their family thereby making them Jewish by adoption.

The criterea for spiritual birth is found in verse 12 and not in verse 13. Recieve and believe and not predestinate.

thjplgvp

4. reformedbeliever

You are very welcome. Did I misrepresent you? If so I'm sorry. If so, please explain what you believe.

Read in context. He is not willing that any of the elect perish.
    1 Peter 1:1. Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the elect who are sojourners of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2 Peter 1: 1. Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained a like precious faith with us in the righteousness of our God and the Saviour Jesus Christ:
    Here we clearly see that Peter was writing to the elect.

As a Calvinist, I have absolutely no problem with that.

Yep, we have to choose.

We have addressed these verses of scripture many times. We agree with the Bible. All of it. Not just that part that fits a system of belief.

Yeah, I don't buy into it either. I'm very evangelistic. I know there are elect people out there... we just gotta bring em the Gospel.

5. reformedbeliever

I suppose we are all entitled to our opinion. Its my opinion, and many other scholars, that the way I exegeted the scripture is correct. Of course we may disagree, hense the reason for the OP.