1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will you see The Exorcist?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Aug 20, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

All our news is filled with the new Exorcist movie. Will you or should Christians see this type movie?

Diane

2. rufus

rufus New Member

The last Exorcist movie I watched as a teen frightened the bejeepers out of me.

Nope, I'll not see it.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I think it would be too scary me. Going to see Alien vs. Predator this past weekend is about as scary of a movie as I care to watch.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

5. mozier

mozier New Member

The Exorcist has nothing to do with Christianity whatsoever.

There are demonic possessions, definitely. However, you do not need Roman Catholic priests to do the exorcism, as the movie implies. In fact, they are not part of the solution, but rather the problem.

An exorcism should be done by mature, strong, and experienced Christians who are familiar with such things. With prayer and fasting, they need to pray God's protection and put on the armor. Then in the name of Jesus, the demon is removed. Not by "holy water" or Latin prayers, but rather by the power of Jesus Christ himself.

Remember, in Acts certain jewish men tried to exorcise a demon in the name of Jesus, and the demon said, "Jesus I know, and Paul I know, but who are you?" And with that said, they were savagely attacked. This is very serious business, and only for-real Christians should only be considered for this.

Seeing a movie like the Exorcist (either the orginal or the sequels, including this new one) gives one the wrong impression on the whole thing.

mozier

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I will stay about as far away from the movie as "the East is from the West"

Its true what Mozier said!

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

Only if they're giving large amounts of money away and will let me wear my headphones and close my eyes.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I can't even watch the commercials! YIKES!

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw the preview before the Alien vs. Predator movie last weekend and the preview was pretty scary itself.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Unlikely and I would say no Christians should probably not see it, yet saying that people should not see it is often exactly what the producers want to happen to get free publicity. I would hope that Christians have seen some of the garbage that goes on in movies, and have the discernment to walk out on movies that mock God.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I will probably see it due to my ministry. Teens will be asking me about it (this happened with "Stigmata" and I was sorry I had not seen it until later since it had stuff from the Gospel of Thomas that I could have addressed). I also saw "The Craft" and "Practical Magic" for the same reasons -- and sure enough, teens in youth groups asked me about these (as they did with "Sixth Sense"). I lose credibility with them when I don't see the more popular of these movies (I do not see slasher/gore films, however, as they have nothing to do with my ministry).

I want to be able to correct any errors about demon possession. One good thing, despite all the bad stuff, one Christian reviewer said the movie does acknowlege Jesus as Lord and his power over Satan (though it gives too much credit to Satan).
    That review is at www.movieguide.org

However, I would not recommend this movie (but I know teens will see it!).

12. Rooster

Rooster New Member

I hate to admitt it as a conservitive, but I can't wait to see it, I love scary stuff, and the Excorcist is probably as scary as it gets :eek: , I admitt as a Christian I shouldn't spend my money on such garbage, and the movie puts out a Satanic influance, but I'm also the guy who likes to visit haunted places too. I agree that the Catholic influance is not good either, but seems appropreate to link the Catholics (Pagens) with Satanism, they go hand and hand, birds of a feather... Basides if you used a real Christian, the Excorcisim would be over to quick, and have no sequel ;) .I would rather view it at a movie theater than in my home, if ya know what I mean, not that it makes it any better. I don't know what can I say? :confused: [​IMG]

13. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

If you want to get a better perspective of casting out demons (not exorcism) see if you can find a copy of " The devil and Karen Kingston

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have to say Rooster that this surprises me. In the light of the strong conservatism expressed in other posts this at least appears to be hypocritical of you.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

That which brings about a spirit of fear is not of God.

15. Watchman

Watchman New Member

No I will not see it.
    As far as those possessed, I feel that the demonic world works more cunningly in the last few hundred years. Those so "possessed" do not display the obvious behavior characteristics that you see in these movies. What they display is an ability to lead people into error or to their ruin. The founders and ministers of false religions and cults, as well as some who have proved to be very destructive: Hitler and Jim Jones come to mind. Sad to say, many of them teach in seminaries and stand in pulpits.
    No, we need to worry more about them that have given, "heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons" (1Timothy 4:1), than a little girl whose head spins around.

16. Pete

Pete New Member

Just drive a cab on a Saturday night. Scarier than any movie and you even get paid (sort of) to do it ;) ;) ;)

(DISCLAIMER #1: No liability accepted by myself if you do go out there and do pick up an "interesting" one ;)
    DISCLAIMER #2: I haven't done a Saturday night shift for a couple of years myself [​IMG] )

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    But do you hear "Tubular Bells" on those fares?

18. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

The question should be:

"Would you take Jesus with you to see this movie?"

If you're truly saved, that's exactly what you will be doing if you go see it.

19. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess. 5:22

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its interesting if you think about it!!

Just a few months ago---the craze was The Passion

Now, Hollywood wants to excite---the spirit world can easily manifest itself into the physical--quiet the opposite from Jesus---who when He was "reviled, reviled not back"