1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Will You TOSS One Back over the Holidays?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 17, 2013.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Yes, but in moderation [please explain]

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. I do not drink alcohol, but see no sin in others drinking

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. I do not think alcohol is an act of sin [please explain]

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  6. I drink wine. It is not the same as beer or hard liquor.

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Wine is the same as any alcoholic beverage and should be avoided.

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Even though I do not drink, I allow alcohol at gatherings I host.

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. My family and friends drink, but, NOT at my house!

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. I avoid gatherings and restaurants where alcohol is served.

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

We might have a Winter Grind for brunch New Years Day.

Funny thing happened once. A preacher friend and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch one time, church caught wind of it and a few took us to task for it in their self-righteousness. I asked if they like to eat at Applebees (I know thwey eat there) as they serve alcohol, but said that is different. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. Ed B

Ed B Member

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the concern, I really do, but...eh...I just don't think it'd be wrong. I haven't up to this point because I'm underage and breaking the law isn't Biblical.
    I was raised to be against the idea of alcohol consumption, and that's part of it, too, but in more recent years I learned that scripture doesn't entirely condemn it. Of course, I understand that that position is a bit debatable.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to or that I won't put a good deal of thought and consideration into it and how it'd affect those around me, but I'm not entirely against the idea.

#43 evenifigoalone, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  4. preacher4truth

:thumbsup: :laugh: :laugh:

5. preacher4truth

I read recently about Joseph and his brothers celebrating in Genesis and that in so doing they drank a good amount of wine. Good Reformed Baptists they were (v. being uptight fundies or their ilk) . :)

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's right. It is a myth. It is Independent Fundamental Baptist folklore.

Whole NATIONS like Germany and France drink beer and wine like we drink colas over here.

They have a far smaller percentage of alcoholics than we do.

Prohibition and IFB fundamentalism (along with Pentecostalism) have given the world more drunks than Jack Daniels could ever dream of giving us.

Instead of teaching moderation they teach abstinence which means- they don't teach children the RIGHT way to drink.

Most of their children are going to drink at some point and since in their deceived minds it's "all or nothing"- then its all since its not nothing. They think, "Well if I'm going to backslide by drinking a glass, I might as well go all the way!!" And "all" in this case means- DRUNKARD. Hence, their damnable abstinence doctrine makes people drunkards.

You can either teach people responsibility or abstinence. If you choose abstinence, then you forfeit the opportunity to teach responsibility.

How much better the church would serve the youth of our nation by casting off this all or nothing nonsense- this teetotalism and teach our kids RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is very different in taste from grape juice.

But it does what God intended it to do when he made it. It "makes glad the heart of man."

Psalm 104:15

The thing is, Quest, be responsible. Treat it like a car. It is a great tool that makes like much easier and more enjoyable. But there are safe ways to use it and dangerous ways.

Binging with your friends nightly at college is going to ruin your life much like driving 100mph on a twisty gravel road is going to ruin your life.

Be responsible. If you do that, then it will be the blessing God intended for it to be.

#46 Luke2427, Nov 21, 2013
  7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Great post!!! Your number one best point is that prohibitionists, IFBs, and the temperance clowns created more alcoholics, DUIs, ruined families, lost jobs, and death than the alcohol companies ever dreamed of. Another thing I have found is that those busy bodies who flap their jaws all the time about the subject never had time to tell others about Jesus, and more often than not, are in first place for the local church gossip. I have never believed in putting sins on a scale, but IMO, a gossip does multiple times the damage to the Christian faith as a solid Christian who drinks responsibly, which does no damage.

The whole mindset is an exact image of the Pharisees. Create your own rules that are not Biblical, impose them on everyone else, then obey them with the power in yourself.

No, I will not drink during the holiday season, or any other season because I do not drink. I have explained why many times, but rest assured it is not because of some self imposed guilt trip whose origin is one of these babbling church members who infect the local congregation with their constant talk.

#47 saturneptune, Nov 21, 2013
  8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have a friend who is the malaprop king. Here is one of his classics:

"I don't drink, but I do occasionally take a little wine for municipal purposes."

9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that came to mind. We used to live in Italy when I was little (my parents were in the Navy), and while I don't remember much about it, I believe my mom said they drink wine with their noonday meal there, even the children.

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

After reading all the post of the drinking crew it seems like I detect some what of bragging in their post. Pride wears many faces. I do not have to go to scripture to prove the evils of drinking out weighs the good. I had nineteen aunts and uncles and many of them found an early grave because of drinking. Quest, please don't drink. You will not control the bottle, it will control you.

11. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...since it's a highly contested topic I should have expected to get a variety of responses, I guess...
    I'm kinda...not really looking for advice? I was just answering the poll question...

#51 evenifigoalone, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't seen any prideful posts here or bragging. Does one brag when they eat a fine meal? Watch a good football game? Have a good hunt? Same with having a fine ale or lager.

It is a tragedy you lost so many in your family due to abusing alcohol, but it is not true that the bottle controls believers. The Holy Spirit makes sure of that. If anyone is controlled they are allowing themselves to be controlled.

13. salzer mtn

This is debatable. Once years ago when I was working in corrections soft drinks were a dime apiece in the machine. I worked second shift and at a certain time of the evening I would drink a couple of Pepsi's. After so long at this habit I found that I was addicted to the sugar. I was telling my uncle about this one time and he said, I am addicted to the alcohol the same way. Yes we both allowed the control up to a certain point and then we were controlled. We found my uncle four years ago dead with two empty rubbing alcohol bottles by his side.

14. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have those who are plagued with mental or physical anxieties a result of allowing themselves to be controlled? It does seem to me that as long as we're in the flesh all of us stand subject to be manipulated and controlled by forces beyond any manageable ability.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apples and oranges. We control what we put in our bodies, not being born with mental disorders.

16. salzer mtn

webdog, how does the Holy Spirit makes sure one is not controlled by alcohol ?

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apples and oranges

...both are fruit.

18. preacher4truth

And perhaps some can detect self-righteousness in yours?

Horrible comparison to what we are talking about. You're describing drunkards and using the comparison on those who can consume in moderation to God's glory. These are two differing scenarios and persons.

That's simply not true.

#58 preacher4truth, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  19. salzer mtn

If it is not true tell me how it is not true.

20. preacher4truth

What you're implying and inferring is that if a person drinks they are a drunkard and are controlled by alcohol up to and including those in this thread who allow moderation. What you are saying is simply not true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.