1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will You?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, May 18, 2011.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Colossians 3:1 If then you were raised together with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated on the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things that are above, not on the things that are on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, our life, is revealed, then you will also be revealed with him in glory.

Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service. 2 Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God.

There is a contagious attitude today this not just the plague of the Church, it has infected all of mankind. It's known to me as the I Cain't Virus and it is most commonly found in young men under the age of fifty. The I Cain't Virus is exactly what is wrong with the two scripture references I began with. When I was almost two years in the Faith I had it and when God called me, a two year old Christian to teach, I did not ask Him, "What class, Sir?” I just told Him I cain't and began to rebel against Him until Brother Richard Clark and I sat down and he told me that the class our Father was calling me to teach was the Primary Class, 1st and 2nd grade.

From that moment on I would like to tell you that I did not fight with God over anything else... ever again, but if I do I'll have to repent and come clean latter so, up front, that was the first of many lessons on trusting my LORD that I have endured. You see, I've also come down with this disease from time to time. It is however growing to be a much worse condition with time. The above verses deal with our responsibility and our duty to our LORD, we are to live Holy Lives, dedicated to Him.

I have been told time after time that most Christians cannot live as Holy a life as I do and to that statement all I'm left to reply is "Poo!” All any man or woman need do to live a Holy Life, given to God, is to change a few things in their lives and that is something anybody can do. I can tell you right now that a beer or a shot of Wild Turkey a day will not send you to Hell. I'll go so far as to tell you that I love a shot or two of Turkey 101 and then I'll tell you "but” I haven had a shot since January 1, 1990! If I were to be found in a club with a shot of Turkey in my hand, it would be the end of my life of value to my LORD.

When I was married I changed a large number of points in my life because I wanted to be pleasing to my wife. When I joined the Army and became a Junior Crew Chief on the UH1 Helicopters I had a goal... Senior Crew Chief as a Professional Soldier. My entire life took a new direction and it required that I, literally, change every aspect of my life. At nineteen years of age I suddenly was responsible for a three hundred and fifty thousand dollar helicopter. The lives of every pilot, gunner and Grunt that stepped onto that ship placed their lives into my hands.

It's not much different out here though! When I went to work as a Switchboard Installer for Western Electric, the Union Railroad, several major insurance companies and Houston Belt and Terminal R.R. Depended on me making good decisions that would allow them to run their business without endless trouble and in like manor, God wants to use us to do His work... to live the life the rest of the world will look at and seek to model their's after. Believe me, they are watching you if you have ever said anything about God in their presence.

God has work for you so... Will you?

2. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Although Romans 12:1&2 are many times quoted separately from the context, the first two verses are really a lead in to be fully committed to using the individual gift or gifts God that has given specifically to us. First we should not think that our gift is any better than anyone else' gift (see verse 3, "For I say...). Then verses 4-8 says to be fully committed to performing the specfic gift that God has given you.

Romans 12: 1-8
    "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness."

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Yesterday was the 48th anniversary of my rebirth, and one thing I've learned in that time is that there are a lot of things I CANNOT do and don't have the ability or talent to do. Teaching is one of them. Except for pastoring a church, I have tried every position in churches--from janitor to deacon. Some things I'm good at (like singing and leading the singing) and many I'm not.

We all have our special talent(s) (some have more than others do). Of course, there are those who don't want to be used of the Lord and hide their talent(s). I've heard many a great singing voice in congregations and wondered why they didn't use that voice in the choir at least. However, no one can do everything, and their are things that God does not intend for us to do but gives that talent to others--many who fail to use it for His honor and glory.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think sometimes people will say - "I dont want to show off". Now, is that really true, or are they using an excuse.

"The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything."
    Theodore Roosevelt

"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Phl 4:13

#4 Salty, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
  5. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard that one and it is impossible to make a blanket assessment here there are several points to view this statement from but the most condemning to me is, "Why are you saying anything then?"