1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Win 7 start button search

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Mar 21, 2011.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I type in something in the start button search at the top it says searching but nothing ever shows. I created a new administrator account and it works fine on that account.

Any idea where to find the settings I need to change?

Also on my wife's unit she has above the search window "see more" while I have "search everwhere" on hers when you click it windows explorer opens with further info. On mine I get an error that there is not program set to do that task and tells me to set a default program. In default, search is not an option.

Been working on this for months on and off with no luck. Have tried all the tricks on Microsofts forums but no change.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I use 7, and what I usually do when I use the start search feature is I type in the words or phrase I am looking for, the 'searching' will come up in the left hand of screen, but I usually just hit the enter button after typing the word/words/phrase and it opens explorer and does the search fine.

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct, mine used to do that also, but I get the error message that there is no program set as default for that feature.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am with the fellow that bumped it because I do not have that registry key :BangHead:

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Try the routine (all steps) below. Seems to work for some:

The problem is a permissions one so heres what i did.
    go to my computer and right click your c drive and got properties,
    uncheck the bottom box: allow files on this drive to blah blah.
    click apply and wait for windows to complete the update of your files it mat take a few minutes.

go to the security tab of the properties window,select your useraccount/name and click advanced.
    click the owners tab ( your account will already appear) click edit
    in the opened window select your account and check the box : replace owner on subcontainers blah blah and click apply and ok
    this also will take a few minutes. once done close all windows
    Click your start button/orb and in the search pane type folder options and hit enter,
    click on the search tab
    in the "what to search) field check the bottom box : always search the ames and contents blah blah
    in the "how to search" field check the top two boxes ONLY:
    i:include subfolders in search blah blah and
    find partial matches.
    in the "when searching non indexed locations" field select the top box: include system directories.
    click apply and ok.
    Click your start button/orb and in the search pane type indexing options and hit enter,
    click "modify" and check all items you want to be able to search in and click "ok".
    click "advanced"
    click the file types tab
    check the : index properties and file contents box.
    click the index settings tab,
    click rebuild. click ok.
    exit all windows.
    restart your system and give it ten minutes to rebuild the index the search away.
    notes:
    if you still have no results or some results but not all
    go to my computer and open your c drive select all folders and right click select properties,
    (do not select any hidden folders) check the read only box and click advanced check
    the top option only: check folder is ready for archiving.

some of these settings may already be correct on your system if so go through all steps

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not going to try that one, my drive is full and huge, would take forever to change attributes, besides the instructions tell me to use the search window THAT DOESN'T WORK to search for things. :tongue3:

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just did a search for the text you posted. Under the quote on one forum I found the following : "First off - following this procedure has seriously destabilized my system! Many of my device drivers have stopped working and I when I try to reinstall them they fail to install. This happened almost immediately after following this procedure."

It was on a MICROSOFT forum :tonofbricks:

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thinking I am fighting two problems. Just found out as I has suspected it ought to be, there is supposed to be a windows search explorer in set the default program windows and mine does not have this.

Have no idea how to get programs to list in that list, any ideas?

10. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stumbled over an email address for Microsoft support and emailed - they did a huge diagnostic automatically.

Will let you know what they tell me besides trying what has already been tried

11. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Microsoft finally got to their standard answer to everything, reinstall windows. They wanted me to do a repair system, but could not due to having sp1 on it and my dvd does not have sp1 soooooooooo I've been redoing a new hard drive for 24 hours or so :thumbsup:

It is about over.

By the way if any of you are/have used the MS Windows install clean up tool
    STOP IMMEDIATELY.

I couldn't find it on my drive so went looking for it and found a note that is had been retired because, though it had done some good work, it also had damaged other components. GUESS WHY I've had to restore my drive twice in the last year??????????? :BangHead: