1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

windows 8

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by webdog, Jan 26, 2013.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Help! My wife just bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 8. It was sold to us as being much faster than our Satellite with Windows xp we bought in 2005. This thing is sooooo slow! We are using both chrome and internet explorer and both are so jerky and make the mouse lag. IE keeps crashing, and Facebook scrolling is like dialup.

Any suggestions on how to get it faster (settings, etc,). Ready to throw it against the wall!

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

That thing could be infected with viruses. Put it in Safe Mode and do a scan.

I am not familiar with Windows 8, but you could also try System Restore. Go to Programs, Accessories, Tools, then System Restore. Pick a date when the computer last worked correctly. Takes about 5 minutes to restore, the computer will automatically reboot and ask you one last time if you want to restore to an earlier date. Click OK. This will often clear up problems.

3. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    webdog,
    Yours is not the first complaint about 8 by far. I understand that you feel locked into Windoze but if I were you I would download Gparted and write it to a CD. Then boot your computer with the Gparted in the drive. If it doesn't boot Gparted, boot it again repeatedly pressing Delete. If it still boots to Win8 repeat the boot pressing F1, then F2 and then F11.

When you get to the Set Up screen (BIOS) read the directions to the right and alongt the bottom. Then go to the Boot Menu and change the Boot Order to Boot the CDE first. Then press F10, save and reboot. Now press Enter each of the three times it stops to accept the defaults.

Click on Partition, in the header, and reformaqt the Partition in NTFS. When it is finished remove the Gparted CD and insert your Windows XP CD from your other unit. When you reach the point that Windows wants the Key Code, turn the other Laqp Top over and punch in the Windows code found on the tag.

MS has, it seems, dropped XP from their radar as I have read on the web where many are doin this with zero issues. Technically, this is illegal but you are harming nobody. I, on the personal level, reccommend installing Ubuntu/Linux because it is legal, much like
    Windoze and runs much faster. This in addition to the idea that virus' are built for Windoze and Apple, it's much safer.

Hoping this helps.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    8 is not the best loved :) however most of it relates to the newness of the interactive parts.

A forum you could search/read is: http://www.eightforums.com/ they have some knowledgeable folks. If you don't resolve your problem post it there and you might find some aid.

Some things to consider:

1. Go to start/programs/accessories/system/system info and tell us what the processor speed and memory present and memory used is on the old one. Then go to the search charm on the new one and type in system information and tells us the processor speed and memory present and memory used on the new one.

2. On the browsers go to clear cache in the options and clear things out and try it.

3. Are other programs slow and or jerky?

4. Try booting the system, then shut it down without starting anything, then boot up and shut down. Do it the third time and see if it helps. Windows is supposed to have a bit of an ability to fix itself.

5. Go to control panel/device manager and see if any of the icons have yellow exclamation points or other indicators, if any do, open them and see what it says.

6. There is a memory tester in windows 8 I think, you might try that and make sure the memory is okay.

7. If you haven't had any updates since you got the new machine go to control panel/windows updates and check for updates.

Windows 8 has a good antivirus software so you don't need worry about that unless you dislike Microsoft's defender. Not that you might not have picked one up.

Also, be sure to burn your restore disks if you did not get them with the new unit. There should be instructions in the manual.

Overall the unit if equal to or better in specs than the old one it should run as well or better.

Toshiba should be a good unit.

If all else fails or if you think it easier call the service department, they should be able to help you out.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have windows 8 and it does not run slow

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Window 8 and it is okay but sometimes the mouse is jerky. I have an inexpensive ($300) desktop HP Pavilion p2-1310 with 4 GB ram and 500 GB hard drive. I do not use the version of internet explorer off the tiles but the other version. Nor do I use social media.

My complaint is that I have a copy of Thomas Nelson's The Ultimate Bible Reference Library (2002) that I bought on sale for $20 marked down from $90 a few years ago. It will not install because it needs DOS 3.3 I guess. Thomas Nelson never updated it, and I do not need it but I would like to have it.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For older programs you might google virtual box and or dos box I think it is, they set up mini holes in the os to run older stuff. It depends on why it won't run in win 8.

Some will run fine if you can install them then right click and choose properties/compatibility and play with the settings. On the other hand some won't even install.

I love Bible Companion Series - used it from the old seedmaster days but it wouldn't even install on win7 much less 8.

Other programs were 32 bit and even though they should run on 64 bit systems some do not - windows will stop the install.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I have a Windows 8 laptop (HP) AND Windows 8 phone and love them both.

I'm going to suggest that you have a hardware issue and I'd be on the phone with Toshiba (or if its not too late just take the sucker back to the store). I haven't had a single problem with facebook scrolling on this machine. On my XP machines yes. This machine is also much faster than my old XP machines.

I'm no expert but issues like you are having sound like hard drive and graphics card issues. (I have had both on different machines.)

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I should add that you might have to run a few things in compatibility mode, but Win 8 usually suggests doing so when needed. (except with Directv's app for watching online, that one won't even load until you manually tell it to run in compatibility mode. I'm still not sure I have it running correctly. No time to test lol)

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info! Right clicking etc. will not install this old software from Thomas Nelson--Ultimate Bible Reference Library.

I think that Microsoft should provide a download for old software. I have QuickVerse 2009, also obsolete, but it installed. It has several version of Scripture but I use mostly KJV. It has a couple of dictionaries and I use it for Matthew Henry. I also have SwordSearch 1.43 (2003) that I use as a concordance and it installed okay.

I am afraid to try virtual box or dos box because I do not understand them at all.

11. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest a download of E-sword (http://www.e-sword.net) then go to biblesupport.com and download resources for a few months :) I have around 2000 books, tons of stuff there. Be careful they have some Christian church, Catholic and other stuff as well.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can download resources right from inside esword in the tool bar

13. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones inside esword are the ones he used to offer on his site and the premium resources. Biblesupport has a ton of older commentaries - langes, pulpit commentary etc. The premium items are farily nice as well if you want to spend some money - not over priced as some of the software companies.