1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine As A Beverage

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by adisciplinedlearner, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will not give my child beer because we choose to not drink so beer is not in the home other than the 4 pack of Guinness I buy in October to last us the whole winter in four meals of Irish Stew. We choose to not drink because we have had extensive ministry with the college kids at church and they struggle enough with the pressure to drink to excess that we feel we can show them that it is OK to not partake and still have fun. However, we have had alcohol in the past and to this day do not feel that we sinned or erred in any way.

Now, did you know that a child of 10 can drive a car on their own property and that many farmers do so? That is fine in my book. However, in my culture here on Long Island, we do not have large family farms so we do not allow 10 year olds to drive cars. It's the same thinking - alcohol or cars.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You're advocating illegal drugs? Seriously?

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Section 244.085(3) of the Kentucky Revised Statutes provides:
    I believe most of the states have similar laws.
    .This is from a report by the American Medical Association.
    There are scores of similar findings in other reports.
    It doesn't work that way. See the AMA report cited above. By your logic, a 40 pound child should be able to drink 20% as much as a 200 pound man. However, the effects on children are proportionately more severe.
    It's not "Do as I say, not as I do." It's telling children thay can't drink until they are 21. After that drink responsibly and if you can't drink responsibly, then refrain from drinking.
    So you are saying drinking is a sin. As someone said earlier here, I guess Jesus and the apostles would be denied admission to your church? Talk about being a Pharisee! Or maybe you're like the temperence lady who encountered a man drinking in a bar and upbraided him for this practice. The man replied, "Lady don't you know that Jesus Christ himself turned water into wine?" To which the lady retorted, "Yes, and I would have thought a lot more of him if he hadn't done that."

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Your comment has stuck with me today. First, It has not been so in my family and my family is an extremely large one. (around 150 in my immediate family) A young drinker is the out of the ordinary in my family and my father was a strict prohibitionist. Possibly one coming from a Christian family is often more noticed and more made out of it than normal, but remember this. God is not finished with those individuals you speak about. Just as the prodigal son returned, so have a lot of the rest of us, and that due to our conservative Christian upbringing. I know one thing, I am not changing the mainstay of abstinence practiced in my family period. If one strays, I will plead the blood until they return, and I believe they will.

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'm certainly not suggesting it is the norm. I came from a family of abstainers and have never abused. Of course, the validity of my comment depends upon the exact implications of "abused," and I'm sure if one grew up in a family that abused alcohol, they are far more likely than anyone else to abuse it themselves.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:
    That's funny. Why would you? Just to show him?

Better never touch that stuff. There's NO comparison between using wine and filth.

It's impossible to imagine Jesus would puff marijuana; just the thought makes me sick.

#66 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    I am willing to admit mistake.

Deuteronomy 12 does not say exactly 'get drunk'.
    It says "Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy wine .... but thou MUST eat them (including the tithe of wine) in the place which the LORD shall choose." "And if the place which the LORD hath chosen be TOO FAR from thee thou shalt eat in thy gates WHATSOEVER THY SOUL LUSTETH AFTER." "Whatsoever", of course of meat and drink the LORD blessed the person with.

It says however, "thou shalt REJOICE before the LORD in ALL that thou puttest thine hands unto" --- while eating or drinking, cf. 16:14, 27:7, from 'sameach', 'to be merry', 'celebrate'

Of grape juice?

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I do it almost every day.:thumbs:

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now what would be a good reason for a person to start drinking alcohol at age 21?

What is your reason for drinking alcohol? Please don't say "taste", everybody knows that is bogus. So why do you find a need for the drug?

You would have to prove that Jesus was drinking fermented wine.

This the favorite answer for those who love their alcohol. They do not understand the difference between fermented and unfermented wine.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Careful not to view the issue from a USA point of view. Marijuana is very legal in many countries. (And will be in the USA one day soon)

So tell me why smoking a little bit is any different than drinking a little bit of alcohol?

You alcohol lovers like to throw around the "law" until it works against your argument. Here in Pa the law states that one is drunk at .08 blood alcohol content. This would mean that about two beers and an average man is considered drunk by law. About one drink for an average woman. This then means that you folks having two or three beers are drunk. Now how do you find a loop hole for your drunkenness?

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about here. Tons of people like the taste of liquor.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no difference between the two drugs. Both are for pleasure to alter the mood. Both have the same effect on the brain.

Why should you look down on another person's choice of preferred drug when you yourself take a drug for your own pleasures?

Why do you take alcohol? For the taste? Or the effect? I know by experience that unfermented wine taste 100 times better than fermented.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is your need for the drug?

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I don't need it. I haven't had anything to drink in weeks. I enjoy it on occasion.

15. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Because he is not allowed to start at age 20. :laugh: Seriously, it's like any other rite of passage (going to college, getting married, going in debt to buy your first house, etc.)
    Well, I do like the taste but it's more than that. It's pleasurable, just like drinking coffe, eating ice cream, watching a movie, having s*x, etc. The proper attitude toward drinking is nicely summed up in Sirach 31:35-42:
    Actually the burden is on you to show that He wasn't because John 2:10, Luke 7:34, Matthew 9:17 and other passages show they were talking about an alcoholic beverage.
    All right, show us the difference and while you're at it, explain why the verses I cited don't refer to alcoholic beverages.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And that is why it is in the Apocrypha!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why is that bogus? I love the taste of many alcoholic drinks. A good margherita with Mexican food rocks. Of course it has to be on the rocks - I hate the frozen ones. ;) A glass of wine with a good dinner is amazing and the closest I get to it now is to cook with it. You can't beat the taste of wine in cooking whether it be red or white and it's false that the alcohol all cooks off in a few minutes of cooking. Of course beer and pizza is the perfect pair but now I do with a coke. There are many other drinks that I used to drink because of the taste. So I don't understand the "everybody knows that's bogus". I STILL drink a seabreeze which is grapefruit juice and cranberry juice with vodka but I just don't add the vodka (which adds a little bit of a different flavor but not too much). Even my 9 year old son makes this for himself and I'm sure it's not because it used to have alcohol in it. :laugh:

18. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you serious? Everybody knows that the taste of wine is bogus? When you make statements like that, you lose whatever credibility you had.

Of course, people drink wine for the taste. Why else would they spend $10-$50 or more per bottle? (OK, the health benefits to your body of drinking red wine is another plus.) If people want to drink simply to get drunk, believe me, they are far cheaper and easier ways to do this instead than drinking wine. And if there's no difference in the taste, why is there such a hugh range in pricing -- perhaps more than any other beverage?? You can get really cheap stuff for $5 and for more than $100, you get really excellent wine.

19. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

AMEN! I agree.

20. billwald

billwald New Member

I drink alcohol for two reasons.

1. attitude adjustment

2. It reduces the need for pain pills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.