1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine Bibbing and Gluttony

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Nov 5, 2005.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, so who is the glutton?

(1) Pastor Billy Joe in Yazoo City fights his weight constantly. According to the government of the US of A he is obese. His whole family tends to the heavy side. It's a genetic thing. (My wife's family is this way--JOJ.) He does exercise some, and tries that new diet fad--sometimes. He'd love to cut back, but there is a pot-luck dinner Sunday and if he doesn't sample everything the ladies will be offended.

(2) Tanaka Taro is an apprentice sumo wrestler who wants to take the official sumo name of "Tatakainobaka," or "Fighting Fool." He leads an extremely disciplined life in his Sumo "stable." He is virtually a slave to the seniors, and has to work out 10 hours a day. However, he also is fed "chanko nabe" every day, a delicious stew specifically designed to make you obese, so you can push your weight around in the ring.

(3) Tommy Highlife is a skinny mini, but he describes himself as a "party guy." He loves the wild times that last all night, what with booze, drugs, women and food, yes all kinds of delicious desserts. Last night he threw up twice at an all night party--but boy did he have a "good time!"

So which one is the glutton, Biblically speaking? I say only Tommy Highlife is a glutton, according to the definitions we've seen. :D

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say all three. Sumo wrestling is not a necessity, eliminating the "need" to eat so much. Would it be OK for me to be a professional eater like Kobiyashi and eat 50 hot dogs...just because it's my "career"? The pastor shouldn't worry about offending the ladies...just the Almighty. If his "sampling" leads to gluttony, it's still sin.