1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine in the Bible....alcohol in general

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by scooby, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Molly

Molly New Member

Clint,

I appreciate your honesty on this topic. Praise God you are alive to tell your story....I pray many will learn from your truthfulness. God forgives us! Praise god for his mercy and grace! ;)

2. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

This is how I see it:

The Bible says that we are not to be drunk with wine. Does it say that we cannot drink wine, no, it just says that we are to not be drunk with wine.

Is alcohol safe with everyone? NO! Is it evil? NO! It is okay if you are not drunk with it. When I turn twenty-one, I probably will hae a glass of wine once in a while, not for the sake of having it, but because I may want to have a glass with dinner. As with all other gray areas, we need to be careful with how we use wine and alcohol and if you can't handle it, then you shouldn't have it.

Is wine and alcohol evil? NO, it just isn't for everyone.

~Sorry if this is a repeat, I didn't have time to read the entire thread.

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is my post re: this topic from another forum several days ago. It SHOULD make you consider how your actions MAY affect the weak & struggling Christian. If this concern is of no consequence to you, then you should seriously question your relation with Christ!!??

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We seem to have a fixation here at the BB on the consumption of alcohol but what about an over indulgence in food? And yes I am overweight.

Over eating and obesity causes a host of health problems, wastes our money, shortens our lives and robs our families of our presence due to an untimely death. Yet we joke about it and flame out at the "wine-bibbers"

And in fact the Bible condemns it (as well as drunkenness and over-sleeping) :

Proverbs 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

What is the ultimate difference between drunkenness and gluttony (which we accept) and why is it so easy to criticize others for the "sins" we ourselves don't commit?

HankD

5. A.J.Armitage

A.J.Armitage New Member

Clint,

It certainly seems like you shouldn't drink, but without the specific Biblical injuction that you admit isn't there, you have no justification for generalizing. Being sinful for you doesn't make it sinful for all Christians.

It's probably true that Jesus wouldn't have given you the wine he made, but there are obviously people he did give it to.

6. scooby

scooby New Member

Gluttony and obesity are not necessarily synonyms. Gluttony is eating to excess, even to the point of making oneself sick and vomit. There are plenty of obese people who do not engage in any sort of bulimic behavior that simply have sluggish metabolisms.

7. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know AJ, the Bible also supports slavery.

Just because the Bible says it's okay, maybe we should all own or become slaves.

After all, we can't say that we know better than the people back then.

Hey, owning a salve, if I treated as the Bible instructs, would not be a sin, right?
    -----------------------------------------------
    I hope you're getting the point about these conversations. Are you beginning to see the potential harm that can incur from them?

8. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Yet what kind of slavery did the Bible permit Clint? Slavery as we saw it in the south? Or indentured servanthood? [​IMG]

I have to wonder why I myself feel so increadibly strongly against alcoloh. It may have been because my parents tried to force me to drink it or said "yeah wait til you grow up, you'll want it after a hard day at work" or something to that effect.

It may be that not all things that we are allowed to do are good for us. The Bible doesn't necessarily condemn masturbation. Nor does it necessarily condemn body rings, tattoos, or many other things that can (and probably will) hurt our witness for Christ. And quite frankly, where someone will spend the rest of eternity is a far cry more important to me than having a drink or two when I want to.

When something has ruined so many lives, has caused so many people to live in a hell here on earth, I just don't see how "because I crave it and the Bible doesn't condemn it" is a good enough answer. That's just me though. I know I will struggle with letting my kids have to make these decisions for themselves in the future.

Thank you for your story Clint.

UNP
    Adam

9. A.J.Armitage

A.J.Armitage New Member

:(

I did see a potential harm. It's come to pass.