1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine is fine

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by fgm, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

BrianT, do you mind if I use your list of verses for a discussion I'm in? I was just going to copy and paste it if that's fine with you.

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

No problem. [​IMG]

I recommend http://www.godgavewine.com as a great book that deals with this subject. I made that list of verses after reading that book.

3. CubeX

CubeX New Member

It is alright to drink, as long as you do not indulge yourself in it and become drunk. It is bad stewardship and it places the alchohol at a higher level of God (after a lot of it, it does seem to be an idol). But also, we were told to have ourselves so that no one could hold anything against us, so the matter is, if you do drink a little without getting drunk, then you are ok. But it's basically better not to so no one can accuse you of anything.

That's my two cents, go ahead and just read and ignore, it'll be fine. :D

-CubeX

4. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

No problem. [​IMG]

I recommend http://www.godgavewine.com as a great book that deals with this subject. I made that list of verses after reading that book.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks BrianT. And I already bought that book, used it for some of my research paper. Didn't get to use it for too much of it, since it took forever to get delivered, but I used an old book I found at Wake Forest's library called "Religion and Drink" by E.A. Wasson. It was written in 1914. It made me think that the whole "2 types of wine" argument is something that is fairly recent, within the past 80 years or less.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

6. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

CubeX, how does one know when to quit before one becomes "drunk"?

If I was asking your advice here regarding my plans for drinking alcohol for the first time, what would you tell me that would help me to understand how much is okay, versus how much is too much?

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, that is definitely a good page that describes the sinfulness of alcohol abuse. [​IMG]

8. CubeX

CubeX New Member

Well, there are legal limits of achohol consumstion allowed. You know this. But, I believe that it was somethign like 2 glasses was supposed to be good. Also, I read that 2 glasses of Red Wine is good for your heart. It was on CNN.

-CubeX

9. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

So CNN is your authority? The correct answer to the question at hand is, THERE IS NO LIMIT, because everyone is different.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Brian is right. The link I gave has lots of info about the abuse of alcohol. However, in many families there is a tendancy for alcoholism or other drug abuse. ONE DRINK is too many for members of that family!

My brother has wasted his whole life being a drunk. My uncle Johnny died a drunk. My Aunt Vera was a drunk who sold her body for drinks. I remember having to go with Aunt Edith to pick up Aunt Vera at the police station. Some man had thrown her out into the street without her clothes. My Aunt Vera died last year in her late 90's. The last 40 plus years of her life she spent working for her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and trying to undo the damage she had done to her children and their children.

I guess I see this only from the ugly side. [​IMG]

Diane

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you decide you are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, I suggest you drink only one in an evening until you understand the effect of alcohol on your system.

12. CubeX

CubeX New Member

CNN is not my authority. The Bible is.

-CubeX

13. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

If you decide you are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, I suggest you drink only one in an evening until you understand the effect of alcohol on your system. </font>[/QUOTE]Isn't this in violation of the rules, recommending use of alcohol?

14. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

If you decide you are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, I suggest you drink only one in an evening until you understand the effect of alcohol on your system. </font>[/QUOTE]What great advice. :( :eek: :( :eek:

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you decide you are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, I suggest you drink only one in an evening until you understand the effect of alcohol on your system. </font>[/QUOTE]Isn't this in violation of the rules, recommending use of alcohol? </font>[/QUOTE]1.) I am not aware of such a rule. If I posted Paul’s recommendation to Timothy to have some wine, would that also be unacceptable?

2.) I am not recommending the use of alcohol – I’m recommending using alcohol responsibly if someone decides they “are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage”. If you are going to critique what I have written, please do not misrepresent what I have stated.

16. BrianT

BrianT New Member

No, because he started the statement with "If you decide you are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage....". In other words, if you *don't* decide you're going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, the rest of the statement doesn't apply to you. [​IMG]

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you decide you are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, I suggest you drink only one in an evening until you understand the effect of alcohol on your system. </font>[/QUOTE]What great advice. :( :eek: :( :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]Do you think that a person who has decided to enjoy an alcoholic beverage should just drink to intoxication? That’s foolish and contrary to scripture.

18. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

If you decide you are going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage, I suggest you drink only one in an evening until you understand the effect of alcohol on your system. </font>[/QUOTE]What great advice. :( :eek: :( :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]Do you think that a person who has decided to enjoy an alcoholic beverage should just drink to intoxication? That’s foolish and contrary to scripture. </font>[/QUOTE]No, just don't drink at all. What enjoyment do you have in drinking?

19. BrianT

BrianT New Member

OK people, learn how the quote thing works and trim your responses. [​IMG] We don't need 40 lines of text to read a one-line response.

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, just don't drink at all. </font>[/QUOTE]That’s certainly one option. Many people choose not to drink. For the first 32 years of my life I did not consume alcoholic beverages at all.

But that wasn’t the question… the person who asked the question wanted to know what advice one would give a person who had decided to drink and alcoholic beverage. I responded with a sensible answer. Since we know that drinking alcoholic beverages is not inherently sinful, I have no biblical justification for telling him he should not. I certainly have concerns about others who drink alcoholic beverages, so I suggested a way in which a Christian who wished to enjoy an alcoholic drink might do it without becoming intoxicated.

Personally I don’t care much for alcoholic beverages in general. I have not enjoyed any beer I’ve sampled and I only like a few wines – mostly white wines with a very low alcohol content. One of the main reasons I drink wine is for the health benefits – the moderate use of alcohol is good for the body.

By the way, I read through the posting rules and I didn't see a word about alcoholic beverages. Is that really a rule? If so, can you give me the reference?