1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine is fine

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by fgm, Jun 27, 2003.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Praise God. Don't take this as approval of what led her there, but it sounds like the ugly story had a very happy ending.

2. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Well, my answer to the original question is not to drink at all. My reason is I believe that it is SIN.

The rule issue was sort of a joke, but seems like I remember way back then someone drying to promote drinking and the moderator called them on it.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh I understand! However, most never rise above such an addiction. My brother is missing again. He disappears for years. We never know if he's dead or alive. He once tried to kill himself and messed up... spent months in a Canadian hospital. When he isn't living in the woods, he's in jail. He had been sober for a couple of years. I'm praying he's not drinking again but when he disappears he usually is. He's now 50.

Diane

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

To say that drinking Alcohol is sin, would indicate that Jesus Christ was a sinner, which is contrary to scripture which indicates that He was the only One without sin.

5. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

I'm just curious to know what verses you use to show that Jesus drank wine.

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

7. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

(Homebound)
    Here's a good website for not drinking.

(Fish)
    This is the first point from that site:

"1. The word wine in the Bible is a generic term; sometimes it means grape juice; sometimes it means alcoholic beverages. The following verses prove that the word "wine" can mean fresh grape juice, the fruit of the vine: De. 11:14; 2 Ch. 31:5; Ne. 13:15; Pr. 3:10; Is. 16:10; 65:8; 1 Ti. 5:23. "

If the author had done any research at all, he would have seen that there are 3 different words used in the ancient languages. "Yayin", "Tirosh", both Hebrew, and "Oinos" which is Greek. It is bad interpretation to use different words and claim that the english translation of those words must have different meanings. Of course they will have different meanings, they are different words *slaps head* [​IMG] How can someone trust this guy's opinion when he clearly hasn't studied things out?

I would suggest doing a word study on the word "Yayin", since it is used more times than any other word that is translated "wine", and it is used in various contexts as well.

Also, for those who think "wine" has 2 meanings (which it does if you look at the different Hebrew words, but the Hebrew words have different meanings), please read this, it is from my research paper. I'd rewrite it, but I can't think of a better way to put it.

Numbers 6 gives the law regarding the Nazarite vow. Verse 2 gives the purpose of the vow: "to separate himself to the Lord." When people made this vow, there were certain requirements that they had to keep that would be a physical sign of their spiritual vow of separation to God. Verse 3 gives us the first requirement, which is regarding yayin and strong drink. "He shall separate himself from yayin[i/] and similar drink; he shall drink neither vinegar made from yayin nor vinegar made from similar drink; neither shall he drink any grape juice, nor eat fresh grapes or raisins." The term similar drink is translated from the word shekar, which is the same as strong drink or intoxicating drink in other passages. First of all, we should assume that the word yayin here means the same as it does in the other passages where the meaning is clear, therefore it is alcoholic. Since God required that the Nazarite drink neither yayin nor strong drink, this must have been a norm for the Israelites. There would have been no point of separation if God was condemning something that was already condemned for the nation as a whole. Some say that this means they were not to have grape juice, but if that were the case, then why mention grape juice again later in the verse? The simple answer is that it cannot be grape juice; it must be wine.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

IMO it is a terrible site. It makes scriptural connections where there are none (or the connections are tenuous at best), and uses erroneous interpretations of scripture (such as the typical "avoid all appearance of evil" mistake). This is a prime example of inserting your own meanings into scripture according to your personal agenda.

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 11:19 "The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber...'"

Jesus enjoyed food (eating) and they falsely called Him a glutton (one who eats to excess). Jesus enjoyed wine (or some other alcoholic beverage) and they falsely called Him a drunkard (one who drinks to excess).

His words make no sense if the wine of his day is not alcoholic. If you drink grape juice to excess, you simply get too many calories in your system. Drunkeness is caused by the alcoholic content.

10. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I'm glad to see that those that drink are not okay with the web site I posted. This is your first step in the AFA course. Step two is just one step away, you can do it. [​IMG]

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not only did Jesus drink alcohol, He even supplied it to others. It was in fact His first miracle.