1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IAMWEAK_2007, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So now you will not even admit you sin? You are pathetic. You violated a BB rule, and you try to justify your sin by putting it onto the Word of God? BLASPHEMY!

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I have been in a lot of debates and seen a lot of things, but SFIC, YOU take the grand prize for sheer lunacy. It is a pity that one is so self assured of their interpretation of scripture (and that IS what it is) that they refuse to consider the counsel of other believers, proudly call them fools (pride), and overlay your belief into the Word of God (adding to scripture that which isn't there). You fail to demonstrate love for your brothers and sisters. Truly, you must be a sad, petty and bitter man. I am sorry for what ever has caused this in your life, but you need to study the Bible you claim to love so much, as to what it says about loving your brethren. Your twisting scripture and ignoring other verses is tatamount to editing God's word. God needs no editor.

Goodnight, and may God touch your heart and remove this bitterness you spew.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

SFIC, would you please clarify something? Are you saying that people go to Hell because they drink alcohol?

4. standingfirminChrist

Better [is] the poor that walketh in his integrity, than [he that is] perverse in his lips, and is a fool. (Proverbs 19:1)

Scripture clearly says what I said. If you say I sinned in saying it, you are denying more of God's Word

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

25 Let not wine-drinking be the proof of your strength, for wine has been the ruin of many.
    26 As the furnace probes the work of the smith, so does wine the hearts of the insolent.
    27 Wine is very life to man if taken in moderation. Does he really live who lacks the wine which was created for his joy?
    28 Joy of heart, good cheer and merriment are wine drunk freely at the proper time.
    29 Headache, bitterness and disgrace is wine drunk amid anger and strife.
    30 More and more wine is a snare for the fool; it lessens his strength and multiplies his wounds.
    31 Rebuke not your neighbor when wine is served, nor put him to shame while he is merry; Use no harsh words with him and distress him not in the presence of others.

Source: Sirach 31:25-31 (NAB). This pretty much sums up what should be one's proper attitude toward this subject.

6. standingfirminChrist

Excuse me??? Did I say that? Drunkards will go to hell. Those that drink alcohol are in rebellion of the God of the Word, but I did not say they would go to hell. They will have to answer to God for their rebellion, but it is He who will decide who goes to hell, not I.

I only warn of the rebellion and consequences if one continues to rebel against God. It is up to them to obey God. I have done my part in preaching the truth written in God's Word.

If they want to mock and ignore the Word, that is their own folly.

7. standingfirminChrist

ccrobinson,

Let me clarify that quote.

My oldest brother is in hell today because he believed the lie that Jesus allows people to drink in moderation. If he had never heard that lie, he would not have drank that first beer on that premise. He would not have died in the VA Hospital in Charleston, SC 3 months ago because someone lied to him and said 'One drink won't hurt.'

It is people who call themselves Christians that cause people like my brother to pick up that first beer and send them straight to a devil's hell because they could not control themselves. The alcohol controlled them. The first drink lied to them and told them they could have another, and another, and another.

Many who call themselves Christians, instead of warning people of that which can send them to hell are pointing them to hell. They will have to answer to God for deceiving many with that lie that God permits alcohol in the life of a Believer.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't recall ever saying this before on the BB, but this thread has long since gotten out of hand on all sides, by most all concerned, probably including me, and in several different directions, at once.

So, I'm outta' here. G'nite, all!

Ed

#428 EdSutton, Oct 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2007
  9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Thank you for the clarification, SFIC. My condolences to you on the loss of your brother.

10. kubel

kubel New Member

It's probably inappropriate and immature for me to say this (since this subject and the doctrines people hold in this topic are taken very seriously), but the last few pages of this thread have proven to be quite humorous, for me at least. It's funny how a position (to say nothing of how faulty it is) can lead people to believe it's ok to personally attack several dozen participants in this debate just because they don't hold to a preferred side of the argument.

Why do we get into these "You are either with us or against us" attitudes. Can't we all just say, "I disagree" respectfully, without pointing fingers and screaming, "POO POO HEAD!!!"

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your brother, standingfirminChrist.

#430 kubel, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  11. Joe

Joe New Member

Ditto to this. It's disheartening that you, SFIC, do not understand that you are fallible. You could be misunderstanding the Scriptures in believing that your brother is in hell. That must be an awful torment for you to bear.
    I know the scriptures state drunkards go to hell, but you don't know whether your brother confessed his sins, and repented prior to death. This would allow the blood of Jesus to cover him. Only God knows the heart.
    You may see your brother someday :)

#431 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
  12. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

You arrogance matches your biblical interpretation of alcohol...contrary to Scripture.

Who in the world has a freezer in their house that will freeze at that temperature? Don't be ridiculous. My late husband used to put his wine, beer, and vodka in the freezer all the time--and none of it froze. Most people have household freezers. You gonna take a trip to the South Pole and freeze your wine?

13. standingfirminChrist

I never said I was infallible.

I am not misunderstanding the Scripture. The Word of God says drunkards shall not inherit the Kingdom of God. Melvin died a drunkard's death; with Hepatitis C and Cirrhosis of the liver. All because he believed the lie that God allowed drinking in moderation.

Melvin, in his last few days on this earth refused to talk with either me or our mother. Why? because he did not want to hear us talking about Jesus. One of my other brothers told us this after Melvin had passed. He was with Melvin the last two weeks of his life.

No, I will not see my brother again. The Word clearly says where he is. Where all drunkards go.

And many more will become drunkards and fall into the pits of hell because they believe lies preached and taught by others who call themselves Christians.

Just one drink won't hurt. Yeah, right. Tell that to my brother and countless others who were deceived by the alcohol just as Solomon warned.

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

For those of you on this thread who don't drink and don't consider it a sin--what is your reason for not drinking? And why is there a need to have a legal drinking age if alcohol can be consumed in moderation?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, wow! Ethanol will freeze at cryogenic temperatures! I wonder if Magnetic Poles knows what's required to achieve -173 degrees Fahrenheit?

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What difference would it make?

I'm guessing that if you risk your health by overdoing drinking (or smoking, for that matter), you need to be old enough to take responsibility for it. By the way, I don't think smoking is a sin, and I don't think your health would be harmed by an occasional cigar. But I don't smoke. Why not? I don't know. Just don't want to. I have smoked, and I wasn't repulsed by it, so it's not because it tastes bad. I just don't want to.

Also, as far as I know, it's perfectly legal to give your child a little wine at dinner. My parents gave me a little wine with meals at holidays when I was a kid. They didn't go to jail, and it didn't turn me into an alcoholic and/or a drunk.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

I never said you did. That was my conclusion when you decided with 100% certainty that your brother is in hell

You are not God. You can't determine with 100% accuracy where your brother ended up.

True, but it also says that The Lord died for our sins, so even a drunkard might squeek by if he repents.

Most who believe that drinking in moderation is ok don't die in this manner. But I am for not drinking just because some do die this horrible death. I would be embarrassed to be caught with an alcoholic drink in my hand because I know what it often says to others. It says if he is doing it, it could be ok for me when this could be untrue. It could contribute to their death.

You obviously have no faith that your brother confessed his sins and repented of them. From your story, I can see why.

Blessed are those who believe without seeing. So when they did see, which way did they go, I don't know.

I would never say this to anyone. Alcohol kills countless people, breaks up homes, lowers inhibitions allowing ungodly thoughts into the head. Or worse, ungodly acts to follow. Alcohol should be illegal.

#437 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
  18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Unless you live over here - then jelly is what Americans call jell-o and jam is almaost any kind of fruit spread.

Just thought I had my own foolishness to the highly articulate debate carried on with such godly charity, maturity, and reasonableness.

Were you people up all night posting this stuff?

#438 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 14, 2007
  19. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I have to agree with him if he died not wanting to hear about God and was a drunk the Bible tells us where people like that end up.

They would be wrong, because they can still die they same way.
    A Christian can cause someone to stumble by their actions. We are to be an example to a lost world. We might be the only Bible they ever see.

I agree, alcohol should be illegal. I'm for prohibition like Billy Sunday was. :)

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Are you guys going for a record here--44 pages and still counting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.