1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wireless networking question

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by 4His_glory, Mar 15, 2007.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yesterday I bought a new wireless router. I set it up with my Mac which connects effortlessly to the network. However when I tried to connect with my old gateway notebook I had problems. Maybe somebody out there with more experience can help me.

When I open up the available networks page, I see the network I created on the list (along with all the neighbors). I tell it to conect and it cannot, but tells me that I am out of range even though all the little bars are full.

So I fooled around with connections for a while (I don't remember exactally everything I did) and now when it tires to connect it basically has the little slider bar and tells me it is waiting for the network to respond which never happens.

To make matters worse I then decides to reconnec to my modem through a networking cable (like I have for several years) and it won't connect. I tried to repair the connection and it says that it could not clear the DNS Cache. So I opened up command prompt and tried to clear the DNS Cache myself, but it failed part way through.

Help! :BangHead:

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have one mac addy in it will require a mac address for anything that wants to connect I think. Shut the mac feature off and see if you can get it to connect.

If the modem you are trying to connect to is for dial up, it also is being blocked by the router settings would be my guess (if it goes through the router).

Wireles/wired is tricky using dial up, but nice on dsl. I had a setup for dialup and it worked most of the time but would give fits now and then. Finally got dsl after fighting it for a year or two and all is great.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am using DSL not dial up. Do I shut the feature off by going to the router settings?
    And why can't I clear out my DNS cache? That makes no sense to me.

I just can't figure out why my MacBook connects with no problem but my old PC is giving me fits.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you put in a mac address both should work. If you only put in one mac address, the other unit can't have access - that is my limited understanding. It is security to keep all wireless traffic out except that which you allow by putting mac addresses in.

Try shutting the mac address feature off and see if both will connect.

5. kubel

kubel New Member

Recheck that your key is correct. I spent a few minutes the other day with what you described. It would detect the network, attempt to connect forever (with the status bar doing its thing), but never actually connected. Turned out I got a 6 mixed up for a 9 (was reading the code up side down on the bottom of my router and wrote it down wrong).