1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wireless problem

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Nov 15, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Running XP on a Dell laptop. Have had no problems with wireless connectivity. I just tried to add a new profile and add wireless connection on that profile. Put in security key, makes the connexion, signal strength is strong - but I get the message that it has no or poor connectivity.

No problem with connexion on one profile.
    Cannot get online with the other.

Any idea?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you need to add a new wireless connection?

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I could see where individual profiles, as opposed to the "all users" profile, might need you to set up a wireless connection...I have to wonder if Rev is on to something.

As I think about it, seems like the sequence of events would have been:

Set up a new individual user profile.
    Logged in as the new individual.
    The "wireless networks detected" message popped up.
    You clicked on your wireless network, and it asked for the security key.
    You typed it in, and it connected; but then messaged that there was limited or no connectivity, and you can't get online.

You log in as the other individual user, and the connection is strong.

I'll do some searching; this is a new one.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quick scan of about 12 pages of Google results, using different search terms, didn't seem to yield anything like your problem.

BUT, it occurs to me, you may have entered your security key incorrectly. I say this because normally we would expect a "connection failed" message; however, I've used a Dell for my job, where we were connecting wirelessly to a local server; it would tell me that I had limited or no connectivity, and I couldn't see the server folders. When I re-connected, and ensured I was using the proper password, everything was fine.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks - but I did it with "Show figures" and it connects, but with the 'limited or no connectivity' message.

6. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Interferrence?

Everytime I add a PC to our Home Wireless Network I seem to have to add the WPA key twice.... That is I have to set up the connection twice... Not a clue as to why... (Maybe because I have the SSID turned off on the Router?)

Wireless Routers (generally) run at 2.4Ghz the same as many Wireless Home Phones...

In some cases you won't connect at all if you have 2.4 Ghz wireless phones in the house at other times you'll get mixed results.

We had to go to 5.8 Ghz phones to use our network....

My "Home Office" is in my walk-in closet at the far end of our tiny house. The Walk-in Closet is an add-on with metal "studs".

I get from low to poor signal strength... But, I do get and stay connected.

Try setting the connection up from the same room as the router is in to eliminate these other issues.

Lastly, on your router turn off the Transmission of it's SSID to make it harder for a (casual) hacker to find.

Hope this helps...

Mike Sr.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks - I'll try that. We have no issues on the main profile for the computer or on other computers.