1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wireless router question:

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Dec 25, 2011.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a wireless router plugged into a dsl modem. Our download rates are 160kps at best.

I called router company (Belkin) and they said to set the router up as an access point. Basically plug modem into one of the ports (not dsl port) and change some settings.

1. Why would they have me do that?

2. Why would that increase tranfer rates?

3. Anyone think this is wise procedure?

4. Will I still have all the router security stuff with this set up?

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I believe that they are asking you to do that to eliminate the computer that one has to route everything through. Should increase your throughput.

The router has a built in firewall, but is is rather simplistic and cannot replace an active anti-virus program on the computer itself.

In all likelihood, however, the gains will be minimal in the real world. Best way to increase speed is to get off of DSL and get into a cable modem which can offer speeds as much as 50 times that of DSL -- if cable is available in your area. DSL is limited by the speed allowed of the phone lines and most can barely handle phone traffic not to mention the drain of Internet usage.

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dug around this afternoon and found the home network is like totally slow as well. Did a bunch of files and 40kbs is tops on that. Thinking the router is awash somehow.

We have mix of 7, vista and xp which may be part of the problem but the two on 7 are slow as well????????

From what I've been reading, as you say, can't see how making it an access point would help either.

Digging deeper :) Thanks.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Click into www.speedtest.net and give that a try to see what your connection speed is, and also how you compare to others using similar service. That may shed some light on your issues.

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ran across your test site last night and we test at 1.2 mps. Found another and it lists about the same. Yet I NEVER get above 170 kps.

After lots of testing all on same network:

[FONT=&quot]Win 7 computer to win 7 computer transfer rate 1.8 mps[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Win 7 to Vista 700 kps[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Vista to xp 2.2 mps[/FONT]

Seems window versions have trouble with each other - not that I am surprised :)

Thanks for your assist!

Digging deeper.

6. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm the Local Tech in my neck of the woods and there are several "real" things to consider. First, if you are an AT&T Wire Circuit, and not the new Fiber System, your distance from the Switch Office makes a difference in your possible Line Speed. Next, You didn't give us your Paid For Line Speed, I do not pretend to know why but that seems to affect your Download Speed.

I have a 6.0 DSL connection but I'm 15 miles, as the crow flies, from the Switch Office and the Fiber System is in the ground but not connected at this time and my very best D/L speed is 3.6 meg. My computer is running Ubuntu/Linux and my wife's and daughter's run Xp with D/L speeds that are lower, something to think about but I can give no promise beyond the truth that AV and Firewalls are just window dressing and not even required if a Windoze unit is not present.

The advice about the Modem Firewall is correct, it takes just a few seconds to manually bypass it in an attack. Here in S/E Texas the number for DSL Tech Help is 1.877.sbcdsl5. These folks should be your first call, always.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm supposed to be 1.5 mps I think - will check that later.

I'm on earthlink.net, been with them for years.

I had problems few years ago and the phone tech that came out told me there was corrosion leaking out of the end of the cable and that there was only one free working line in the main cable and I got it. I suspect that is my problem.

We dropped cable due to constant changing prices/channels offered so that isn't an option unless we go back to the ripoff kings :)

Just found wireless phones can affect routers, so going to unplug that for awhile and test :)

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk about embarrassing, been computing since commodore and timex sinclair days.

The server is in bites and download speed is in bytes DUUUUUUHHHH!

Day and a half reading on forums of others having similar issues and the last one I snooped was the first to mention that little point of interest :)

Oh the joys of getting old and forgetful!

Having transfer rate differences between systems which I can overcome using usb stick for big stuff.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I assume that you ran the speedtest by bypassing the router. This tells you that the problem is not the DSL, but that it's on your home network.

Are all computers on the network accessing wirelessly, or are some of them wired? And are all computers trying to access the wireless network at the same time?

While the advertised rate is 1.5 Mbps, the real rate is going to land somewhere around the 1.2 Mbps that you found by running the speedtest. I don't have an answer for you, just asking about things to check into.

10. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found that it is my problem, the dsl is 1.5 m bit and the windows report is 160 k BYTES thus about equal :)

Our network is kind of hash city. 1 win 7, 1 vista, 1 xp on wireless and 1 win 7 and one xp are wired. The router is upstairs and wireless rigs downstairs.

Did find that Chrome browser does almost 200 K over the firefox 160. Am going to do some experimenting with browsers tomorrow.

Thanks for all the assist!