1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witchcraft and Occult Class offered at My Alma Mater

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by govteach51, Nov 29, 2011.

1. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

I found out yesterday that in the Spring 2012, the History Department will be offering a graduate level course called "Witchcraft and the Occult." Medium sized state university, did both my undergrad and graduate work at the school.
    I am pretty much shocked and appalled.
    My question is this, how much of a fit should I throw? I no longer know a professor in the department, much less the department chair.
    Being a retired teacher and department chairman at a local high school, I would fight tooth and nail for district not to hire a person with this on their transcript.
    Any suggestions?

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think it all depends on IF the course is merely reviewing the "facts" of such things, or IF actually teaching one how to participate in such things!

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I think maybe you shouldn't react to quickly. Get ahold of a syllabus, look at the suggested reading material.

We Christians tend to get overly excited about any mention of witchcraft or the occult and then we have no way of understanding the draw of such nor any understanding of how to help those caught up in it.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's in the history department, I'm not sure what the issue is. It is highly unlikely that the course will be anything more than this history of these things. Of course, in the study of history, you will study things with which you do not agree.

Just because someone teaches or takes a course on witchcraft and the occult doesn't mean they practice either. If you only study that with which you agree, you don't deserve any college degree, much less a history degree.

None. Your complaint is entirely unreasonable. Even if you threw a fit, it wouldn't matter unless you were an influential donor.

It's nice to know that censorship is more important than academic freedom to you. Once again, studying a topic in historical context does not mean that you agree with it or endorse it in any way.

I took a graduate history course on the American South, and the prevailing theme of the course was slavery. Does that make me a slaveholder or sympathetic to slaveholding?

Don't worry about it. It's a non-issue.