1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

With his stripes we are healed.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. (ESV)

So is the healing mentioned in this passage to include physical healing? Why or why not scripturally Is this passage a promise or guarantee of physical healing? Was the sacrifice of Jesus made also so that we may be healed now in this life time? If not what are the problems that arise from this teaching?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:)

I do believe it to be spiritual healing since we were dead before His sacrifice.

I've heard a lot in the past about how our healing is within our power through faith and that if we're sick, we don't have enough faith because God promises us health and well-being but I don't see that supported by Scripture. We see Paul, the greatest of Jesus' followers in the New Testament speaking of a thorn in his side and we see Timothy with a stomach ailment.

The big danger in this, I believe is that it takes the focus off of what God is doing and puts it on us. It causes us, when disease and injury come, to think that it's because of our own unbelief/lack of faith or whatever. Instead of saying "Thy will be done", we say "Fix me because I believe" and I don't think that's Biblical at all.

My husband dislocated his baby toe really REALLY badly on Monday. As in "Honey, that's bone sticking out" badly. So now he's on crutches and is praying that he can fight infection well enough to heal quickly. Why did this happen? I don't know but I do know one thing - that God will get all of the glory no matter what happens, whether it's a fast healing or major infection and hospitalization. It's certainly not a factor of my husband's faith but of God's sovereign will and the laws of nature.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, it promises physical healing, but not in mortal, aging bodies.

I think it's a 2 stage promise, like a lot of prophecies and promises in the OT are. We get the spiritual healing first when we are saved; the physical healing is the glorified, resurrected body in the future.

People misusing this text say the physical healing is now. But if that were true, we wouldn't age or die!

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities:

The suffering was for the "disease" of sin. So the healing is the forgiveness of sins in His blood.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good point and distinction.

6. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Example....Matthew 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I SHOULD HEAL them. Obviously not physical and those who promote it's physical "name it and claim it" are in grave error.

#6 Jedi Knight, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the "healing" of the Scriptures above are spiritual healing of the diseases of sin and death.

But, I also feel it is proper to pray for the restoration of physical health for myself or others, success of surgery or treatment for cancer, etc., as an answer to prayer as opposed to the claim of the "gift of healing".

HankD

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree with HankD

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since the surrounding verses are spiritual I'd side with it being spiritual healing. Our physical bodies will not be totally healed until the resurection. Doesn't mean God doesn't heal, but that He doesn't always chose too, theres no promise of physical healing in this verse.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I believe it is speaking of spiritual healing as well.

And I'll probably be sorry I started this, but this verse argues against the Calvinist belief that a person is regenerated to believe. Because notice it says that if they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and be converted, that THEN he should heal them. So they would have to be in this state of spiritual sickness when they saw, heard, understood, and were converted.

If they were already regenerated and had a new heart as the Calvinists teach, there would be no need to heal them afterwards.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    let's stay away from the reformed debates in this thread.

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uhhh, good luck with that! :laugh: