1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

With man this is impossible !

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Aug 12, 2015.

1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Matt 19:16-26

Did you know that if a person could keep the Commandments of God perfectly, that would earn them Eternal Life ? Listen to the discourse of Jesus with the rich young ruler, begin in Vs 16 "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"

The inquiry was what must be done to have Eternal Life, also Mark 10:17

17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

Notice here it says "inherit eternal life " Jesus indicated that if he would keep the Commandments, he would enter into Life Eternal Matt 19:17-19

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Yet the key is that God requires perfection, one must keep His Commandments perfectly !

Notice Jesus words to the young man after he boasted about keeping the Commandments of God Matt 19:20-21

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

See the Divine Standard is extremely High, one must Keep the Commandments Perfectly, even all of our thoughts must be always pure before Him !

Its like when Jesus said Matt 5:48

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

The word perfect means:

I.brought to its end, finished

II.wanting nothing necessary to completeness

III.perfect

IV.that which is perfect

A.consummate human integrity and virtue

B.of men

i.full grown, adult, of full age, mature

of mind and character, one who has reached the proper height of virtue and integrity:

And Jesus was quick to point out to the young man that he lacked this perfection by His words Mk 10:21

21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What I fine interesting is; The man came asking concerning, inheriting eternal life. Jesus equated,inheriting eternal life, with entering life and also entering the kingdom of God. The disciples equated, inheriting eternal life, entering life, entering the kingdom of God with being saved.

Jesus then said with men this is impossible. Man has absolutely nothing to do with any of the, equates.

Does verse 28 equate, regeneration, with the other, equates, and establish all the, equates, to take place when, he, Jesus comes to sit on the throne of his glory?

Ummm, we must be saved by mercy.

What is the mercy?

#2 percho, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

With man this is impossible !2

And Jesus was quick to point out to the young man that he lacked this perfection by His words Mk 10:21

21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

That word lackest means to fall short, in fact its the same word used in Rom 3:23

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

It means to be devoid of something, to be inferior !

Specifically what he lacked was a fulness of Love to God, for the Law requires this Matt 22:37-38

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

Neither did he qualify as to keeping the Second Most Commandment Matt 22:39

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The proof of this was made evident when Jesus told him to do these certain things :

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

However this was asking to much, it was more than he was willing to do, or could do for that matter and served only to sadden and grieve him Mk 10:22

And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

It made the situation seem hopeless for him, and Jesus concludes with the profound statement Matt 19:23-24

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

And His disciples in astonishment asked, who then shall be saved or enter into eternal life, realizing that to keep the Commandments of God in such High standard that Jesus has articulated, that it being made impossible, and Jesus aptly stated :

"With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."= The Incarnation of God Man !

Folks with men obtaining eternal life is impossible, man cant keep Gods Commandments as required, at an absolutely Perfect standard, and also it appears that Jesus relates being saved to obtaining eternal Life !

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

With man this is impossible !3

So now if it could have been done [but it couldnt] obtaining Eternal Life through keeping the Law of God Perfectly, why does Paul write this Gal 3:21

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness[and its reward] should have been by the law.

The reward of Righteousness is Life Prov 12:28;Rom 5:21.

Gal 3:21 gives the sense that Life could not have ever come by the Law ! Yet there is no contradiction because what is meant, though perfect obedience to the Law would entitle to Eternal Life Rom 7:10

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

It was never Gods purpose or design for any man/adam by nature to have the ability to do/obey the Law to that degree, no it was reserved for only Man to do, a Man that was also God, the Lord Jesus Christ Rom 5:15

15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

The Word Made Flesh Jn 1:14; Hence Jesus is saying back in Matt 19:26

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

That which was and is impossible with man, even in his best estate in adam by nature, its possible with God, the God Man Jesus Christ; for as the Covenant Head for His Church/ People Isa 42:21

21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

John Gill writes of this verse:

Jesus Christ did all that was required by Law and Commandment Keeping to Inherit Eternal Life. He did what was required as He told the rich young ruler what was required Matt 19:17

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

And so all for whom He Lived and died for, through Him [His Obedience Rom 5:19] must enter into Life, they through Him have done what the rich young ruler could not do, no man for that matter; But now because of Christ, they have a right to it, else God would be found to be unjust and Jesus found to be a liar !