1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

With Trump out ...In your view, who won last nights debate?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Jan 29, 2016.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was an interesting debate, especially if you listen to the Fox News pundits, Cruz (who didn't see Fox slamming him with Trump gone) did nothing to help his cause?!

Also Kelly's "elephant in the room" comment clearly, at least to me, showed me that she does have a hidden agenda against Trump. It is clear that the GOP does not want Trump or Cruz, because Fox is tooting the horns for the favorite political establishment candidates.

The bias towards the non establishment candidates is quite obvious? No wonder middle class America has circled their wagons around Trump and Cruz and even Carson.

Still, I am asking for your view on who won last night. What say you????

• Like Like x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't believe I'm typing this, but.....Jeb.

He actually answered the questions. He had thoughtful answers, not sound bites. He didn't lose his cool. I'd put Kasich in 2nd place for many of the same reasons. Then Christie in third. Rand Paul had a good night as well.

Cruz had his worst night ever. Carson was practically invisible (what was with his closing statement of quoting the preamble to the Constitution?). Rubio was doing great until the immigration issue bit him again.

The whole debate had a more serious tone to it without the Insulter in Chief in attendance.

BTW, when Megyn Kelly asked the immigration question of Rubio and Cruz, including video of speeches and statements they have made in the past, that was a very, very tough question. I suspect if Trump had been at the debate and had videos of contradictory statements been shown about him, he would have recoiled and thrown a hissy fit.

#2 InTheLight, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was flicking over to the Donald Show during commercials in the Fox debate. Puke-ning how CNN has adopted Trump as their new "star". (sorry, but can't type Sickening without the emoji popping up and taking over the word.)

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My canned answer for ANY debate: Nobody wins a debate.

The question is who changed the minds of most people?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, Trump:

First Read: Why Donald Trump Won the Debate Without Showing Up

"Earlier this week, we wrote that Donald Trump's decision not to attend Thursday's GOP debate could be a brilliant tactical move -- or a disastrous one. Well, after watching the two hours of debate last night, it was clearly the former. Why? We can count three reasons:

His closest competition had a bad night: The man who's his closest competition in Iowa, Ted Cruz, had maybe his worst debate performance of the cycle. And a lot of it was due to the fact that he -- not Trump -- was the candidate with the target on his back. Marco Rubio went after Cruz, hard. So did Rand Paul. But it was Cruz who also did himself no favors by trying to win an interruption contest with co-moderator Chris Wallace (and lost) and who attacked the moderators' questions like he did at the CNBC debate (but was booed in the process). Cruz got his taste of being the frontrunner, and he struggled. The Des Moines Register's front page sums it up: "Rough Night for Cruz."

He got to skip Fox's brutal video montage: Trump also won by not showing up because he avoided getting the same kind of brutal video montage that Fox News showed first on Rubio (with his past statements vowing to fight amnesty and an earned path to legalization -- before backing the Gang of Eight immigration bill), and then on Cruz (on supporting immigration reform and a path to legal status). It was evidence to Iowa conservatives that NO ONE is going to get to Trump's right on the issue of immigration.

And he got to sit on his lead in Iowa with three days to go: Given it all, Trump got to protect his lead in Iowa and in the other early contests. Now it's still possible that Trump could lose Iowa - due to turnout -- but it won't be because of last night's debate. When you think about it, what we all thought was Trump's gamble turned into the safest move for someone with the lead....."

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fox's Trump-less debate had 12.5 million viewers between 9 and 11 p.m., according to Nielsen.

By comparison, two of the cable channels that showed parts of Trump's fundraising event, CNN and MSNBC, had about 2.7 million viewers combined.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last nights debate also had a higher viewer rating than the last one with Trump.

10. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Google's online poll said that Carly won it, lol.

Okay, about the ratings - true that it was the second-highest show in FOX News history BUT the highest-rated one was the first debate with Kelly and Trump, and that debate had twice the viewership of the one yesterday.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/01/fox-news-preliminary-ratings-218401

The earlier January debate was on FOX Business, which reaches less people. I didn't watch any of it, sick of all these endless debates and I didn't want to see Trump blow his own horn again.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thought that both Bush and Rubio were very good. Christie, Kasich and Paul had their moments. Worst debates for Cruz and Carson.

It may have helped Trump by not showing up, as I'm sure that there may have been some video "gotchas" similar to Rubio and Cruz. However, not sure how Iowans (especially those who are undecided - and that could be up to 1/3 of the electorate) feel about him skipping the debate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI, it's how Cassius Clay aka Muhammad Ali got his start, making a lot of brash statements and blowing his own horn. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did Yahoo Serious.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are both very smooth and articulate, but neither is a reliable conservative and both favor amnesty and open borders.

• Agree Agree x 1