1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

witnessing,discipling, accountability for new believers and even established believer

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by mr. messy, Apr 12, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

I have been concerned for others in the witnessing, discipling, and accountability aspects for new believers and for "established" believers, older believers in the Lord.

How do we as individuals or as a church or a group of churches help a child, a young adult or just a adult come to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and then help train or grow that person(s) for fruitfulness in Christian life?

It did might easy for a new believer or one who has been in church for 1 or 2 or 3 years to begin to compromise and drift away from the Lord, from the fellowship of the local church and drop out of church?

Is discipling and mentoring the same? When should it start and when should it end?

Is accountability to another person or persons good or not?

Could there be different stages of growth in the Christian believer? For a child, there may life stages or life tasks such as crawling, walking, running. If there are such christian life tasks for a believer, then what would these be?

I am viewing this from my American culture at this time. The culture in your town may be different from mine.

Can we learn from the Bible principles, characters?

Can we learn from each other as believers?

How did Jesus do it in His physical lifetime?

These questions may be too much for one topic or thread.

Thanks for reading, mr. messy

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus sent them out to do ministry and to build their faith and dependence on God for their needs. Before H3e did that though he took them with him in doing ministry. It is much the same way you would train one of your own children in a physical and spiritual sense.

3. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

Let me quote one of the above questions. "Is discipling and mentoring the same? When should it start and when should it end?"

When does discipling end?

When is a believer "full grown" or an adult?

When is the believer capable of reproducing...that is leading another person to the Lord?

Does leading another person to the Lord qualify as being grown up as an "adult" or a "mature" one?

thanks. mr. messy

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Interesting questions.
    From a biblical viewpoint, it appears that a believer is "fully grown" when he has led another to the Lord and THAT one has gone and done the same.
    2Ti 2:2
    And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. glorybound012001

Jesus taught his disciples for 3 years before he turned them loose.But his three years was 24-7,not just on Sundays.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think we can always learn from other Christians.

I find myself a little stunned sometimes to realize I'm getting to that age where I've been saved longer than most of our church ministerial staff has been breathing, but I still learn so much from these amazing men of God every day.

I also try to teach. I include, in every lesson, no matter what age group - that you need to read the bible yourself. That you need to pray without ceasing - nothing is too big or too small to bring to God. That you need to question people and seek God's answers, not human approval. Some of the lessons can be as simple as, "Do you know how to look up a verse when someone gives you a reference?" To, "Have you memorized the verses that you find you get the most comfort and assurance from so that if you're ever stranded without a printed bible, you've got His words to you in your heart?" Do you know how to use a concordance so you can find answers in scripture when you aren't sure where to look?