1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witnessing to God-haters?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

How do you witness to someone who hates God? I'm not talking about atheists, but someone who believes in God, and blames Him for everything? Someone who screams obscenities whenever His name is mentioned? Thanks!

love,

Sopranette

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

If you are totally burdened for this person, you must give, give, give.
    Give them over to prayer. Give them your time and effort. Give them to God.
    Begin with prayer on their behalf. Pray that you can be a light for them to eventually have a love for God. If eventually that light shines through then God can take over if they see their need for Him. If they never see the light that you bear then you just might have to let go and perhaps someone will come along and water what you have planted.

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

This person goes to church on Sunday, yet I have seen him make an obscene gesture at the TV when one of the characters said the name, "God". I've been praying for that one thing or word that will make him take notice. Maybe it is years of prayerful words, then?

love,

Sopranette

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like that person has a profound spiritual problem. Demonized people act that way, although that behavior does not necessarily mean the person is demonized.

To answer your question, I wouldn't waste words "witnessing" to such a person. I would simply live my faith out in front of the person and treat them with love, kindness and patience. The Holy Spirit is going to have to work with that person to get them ready to receive truth. In the meantime, pray for them and the Holy Spirit's work and be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit to know what to do and what to say at the appropriate time.

Also realize that the person may be demonized and you may need to one day confront the demonic powers if the Spirit leads.

5. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

I don't. If someone has already heard and rejected the Gospel there is nothing more that I can do. When Jesus talked to the people, many rejected Him, but nowhere in the Bible will you find Him running down the hill after them to try to change their minds. The apostles were told whenever a villiage rejected the message to shake the dust from their feet, not to hold debates and yelling matches. Case in point: The rich man who Jesus told to sell everything and follow Him. The man went away but Jesus did not chase after him and try to talk him into it. We are to spread the Gospel, not to have debates or convince people to share our beliefs. No one has ever 'led' someone to Christ, that is the Holy Spirit's doing. All we can do is to tell them the good news about Christ.

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

But what about the 99 sheep, and going after the lost one? Does this not apply?

love,

Sopranette

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

If it is a heart felt burden that you feel then yes it may take years of words and deeds.
    A farmer plows a field in rows to prepare it for planting. He might be the one to come along and do the planting. If he isn't then another will come and plant. The planter might do the watering and/or fertilizing. At each stage each person has a job. When that job is complete then another will take up the task. It is up to us to decide when God moves us out.
    If this person out and out rejects what you bring then just as Nonsequitur has suggested it is time to move on. Just trust that God will bring in the waterer.

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think you are on the right track here Sopranette, it is going to take some time.

It sounds to me like this person may be saved but has endured some type of personal tragedy and blames God for it. I would start by understanding and sympathizing with their pain and feelings. Have you never cursed God and blamed him when things went wrong? Have never wondered why a loving God would allow the pain and suffering of this world to take place? I have. Luckily I have a loving Heavenly Father who understands the temper tantrums of a child and while he has corrected me he never wrote me off or gave up on me.

Time, a consistent loving Christian example and being available to share their burdens, these are what you need.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

In our modern world today a great land owner owns the vast acreage that is used as farm land. This land owner will hire a farmer to farm his land. He will provide all the equipment that is required to have a productive farm. He will even house that farmer and his family so that it is managed year round.
    The farmer goes out to the field at the appropriate season and prepares the ground for planting. Today's equipment can plow and plant at the same time. And so the field is prepared and planted by one person in one day. The farmer goes to his irrigation pumping station and sets the timers for watering the field at the appropriate time of day for however many days it takes till harvesting.
    Harvesting comes and the Land Owner gains the profits and he pays the farmer.

Commit to time and effort is the way to win the lost.

#9 Palatka51, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  10. Dr Mike Kear

Dr Mike Kear New Member

This would, I think, lend credence to the idea that the person may be demonized. If a person truly hates God, why would they want to hang out in the one place where His name is glorified and His people are gathered to worship Him?

I think the other posters are correct. This may take some time. Pray that his eyes be opened to the love of God and pray that the hold of the enemy be broken in his life.

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I do know he has been burned by so-called Christians in the past, but most of us have and get over it, don't you think he would, too, at some point?

love,

Sopranette

12. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I don't think EVERYONE is at church to worship Him. Some are there because, well, that's what's done on Sunday mornings...always has been.
    How do you know if someone is demonized? Sorry, but all I can think of is Excorcist movies.

love,

Sopranette

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Those roots go deep. I think the ability to "get over it" comes from our level of maturity. I would pray that God will open his eyes to see the difference between the actions of sinful people and the love of God.

The advice given so far is excellent. Keep witnessing when God opens the door, let him see your Godly lifestyle, and keep your friend in prayer, but remember that it is aways God that changes the heart. Our job is only to be obedient.
    And yes, it may take years.

14. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Are you sure his anger is actually directed toward God and not at those who, as he sees it, claim to be God's people?

15. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

That's the thing. He sees the two as being one and the same.

I'm not bothered by the foul language. Sadly, I'm used to it by now.

love,

Sopranette

16. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Mel! Wise words, some to take to heart,

love,

Sopranette