1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witnessing to Muslims

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by James_Newman, Nov 24, 2004.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Can anyone share their experiences witnessing to muslims? Are there any success stories in the house?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had an opportunity once in a chat room to speak with a muslim about Jesus Christ. Because he acknowledged Him as a prophet, it started out all right but when it came to His deity there was a lot of resistance.

I have no idea whatever came of it.

HankD

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People who make this claim are just plain stupid IMHO!

Anyone who claims to be Deity is either a charlatan, a basket case, OR what/who he says he is; but definitely not a prophet to be admired etc.!

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I think he was saying that the muslim acknowledged Jesus as a prophet, which I believe is what they do believe. They just forget that your supposed to believe what a prophet says. Or is that what your saying?? :confused:

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Islam believes Christ to be a prophet although they say Mohammed is the last prophet to speak for allah.

They (Islam) also believe that Jesus will return to earth.

I have no idea what just-want-peace is complaining about or who it is he is accusing of being stupid.

If it is me, well, I have been called worse.

Bad communications, sorry.

HankD

6. Brett

Brett New Member

I think just-want-peace is commenting on the incoherency on revering someone (ie, Jesus) as a prophet, who claimed to be the Son of God. If He was not telling the truth about being the son of God, and is therefore a liar and presumably NOT a man of God, why would you hold him up to the status of a prophet?

Hopefully I'm not off in my interpretation here, but I don't think he was talking about you, Hank. [​IMG]

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way Hank; sorry if I gave that impression

Dead ringer, Brett, bulls-eye!!

Boy, I never cease to be amazed at how easy it is to misconscrue someone's intent when there's only the written word. Just proves that one best be VERY careful of the message!

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My neighbor and his family are Muslims (refugees from Iran). The Husband and wife have been here 20 years and are naturalized citizens, like myself. They're among the nicest and friendliest people I've ever encountered. In the years we've lived in the same complex, we've had many opportunities to discuss matters of faith, and they've always let me share my faith with them. Because I don't "push" my faith on them, they're always receptive to me.

A few months ago, we got around to discussing the issue of Jesus as Messiah and Savior. The husband told me that the concept of having Jesus pay for our sins makes a lot of sense to him, if God is a God of love. To me, it was quite a breakthrough, since I've been hoping to be a witness to them for years. I have no doubt that some day in teh future, they will want to accept the gift of Christ's salvation.

The trick is that I don't "erupt" my faith out on them. Neither do I "avoid" when the opportunity is put before me. I wait until the Holy Spirit gives me the opportunity, and I don't do any more than is called for. If I erupt all at once (as other Christians have done to them), I will likely drive them further away from Christ. Also, I never come from a point of "you need to". I always discuss matters of faith as "this is what I believe" or "scriptures tell me".

I hope that when they come to Christ, that I will be around. But if I'm not around, I look forward to seeing them in Heaven.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right! I saw a documentary on human communications which claimed that the raw words we use are only about 20% of the message we are communicating.

Facial expression, body language, pitch of voice, etc, are the rest.

HankD

10. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

According to President Bush, there's no need to evangelize to Muslims. He believes that Christians and Muslims worship the same god and that they have their own way to heaven, different from believing on Jesus Christ.

http://www.reedheustis.com/articles/10292004.htm

11. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

At work alot of our resident trainees are Muslim. I try to be nice to them and I usually let them leave rounds or the clinic to go for their prayers. I think they like me because I can speak some Arabic - or it amuses them anyway.

I would echo what JohnV said. We need not "erupt" on them. An example of Christ-like behavior speaks more than alot of pious words. I had a Muslim tell me once that I and another friend were the first Christians he'd met who actually seemed "believable". He related that almost all Christians he'd met were seemingly bigoted, uninformed about their theology, and no different behaviorally than the lost.

Sad.

12. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Those "Christians" who are no different than the lost are not Christians. They're fooling themselves but probably no one else other than others like them. The are far too many people like this in the church.