1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

witnessing

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by hou816, May 3, 2007.

1. hou816

hou816 New Member

hi everyone, this is my first time here, not sure exactly how this works. I am a new christian, around 6 months but I seem to have many questions. I'm told that's normal. when do you know what to say to people and when to say it about Jesus? I know personally if the guy that witnessed to me camme up and started saying all this stuff about God and sinning I would have back away and probably would have avoided him. I want too help others find Jesus just not sure how. I don't know where to start. any advice would be greatly appreciated. take care and God Bless:jesus:

2. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Hi hou816,

Welcome to the board.

I've been working on a website to try to help people with questions just like yourself. It's at www.AllAboutEvangelism.com

While my favorite "method" is the one taught in The Way of the Master teachings, I do realize that everyone is not comfortable doing it this way, so I'm trying to include a variety of teachings on the subject of sharing your faith at my website. Check it out when you get a chance.

God bless you for your desire to share Jesus with others!

Brian

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hi! Welcome to our board, but more so welcome to the family!

You bring up a good point. Some people don't respond well to a more "in-your-face" method - but for others it is what they need. The soul winner needs to be conscious of the Holy Spirit's guidance in how to deal with each individual.

I'd recommend you find someone in your church who is experienced in this and ask them to go with you once a week. Let them do the talking for awhile, and just watch and listen.

Also, as you go through your daily life, look for times when you can leave a tract. Keep a good stack of them in your car, and carry some in your pocket all the time. Then hand one to a cashier in the store, leave one with your tip at a restaurant, etc. Especially at work your church-going or your testimony might come up - having a tract handy can help you explain some things.

Always be willing to just let God prompt you as to when you ought to say something. God will make it known to you. You might have instances where you find you are saying something that would have turned YOU off, but if the Holy Spirit is leading you it will be the exact right thing to say for the other person. This only comes with experience though. Give yourself time and watch people who you trust and who are older in Christ than you.

4. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

hou816, Welcome aboard! :wavey:

I like the Way of the Masters approach too.

Also, consider getting the book:
    Share Jesus Without Fear Journal by William Fay

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

hou816, welcome from me as well.

I, too, find that witnessing to strangers is difficult for me. And the "in your face" kind of witnessing would turn me off and I'm a believer.

If you desire to witness, it would help if you knew whether that person was saved or lost. So, if you feel led, simply ask, "where are you spiritually?" The answer will give you an immediate clue.

If it is obvious that they are not believers, the next question could be, "what would you say it takes for someone to have a right relationship with God?" Again, the answers will give you an idea of their understanding of sin and the need for a Savior.

You can take it from there.

And this I have learned over recent years: If you earnestly desire to witness, and prepare for it, you'll be amazed at the number of people God will send to you. And in some cases, you won't even have to open the subject. They will. When that happens, assume that the Spirit of God is at work.

By the way, don't worry about making mistakes that run people off. They're already run off. The Holy Spirit is not boxed in by our flaws. It is He who opens hearts, illuminates minds to spiritual things, convicts and draws. Our job is to share the gospel. And sometimes, when we've done that, the best thing we can do is shut up.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

A couple of other points I forgot:

Don't ask anybody if they're a Christian. Christian means different things to different people. If you do, and they say yes, you really don't have anyplace else to go with the conversation.

I've seen it suggested that the first question should be, "if you died right now, where do you think you would go?" If they give you a strong "to Heaven, of course," what's the next question?

If you get any answer like, "I'm going to heaven," "I'm pretty sure I'm going to heaven," "I'm saved, think I'm saved, pretty sure I'm saved, I'm a Christian, etc., the next question should be "what are you basing that on?" The answers will give you an insight into what you should do or say next.

7. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

I used this approach the other day. I said: "If you were to die right now, and were standing before God, and he said, why should I let you into my heaven, what would you say."

Their response will provide the bases of their belief. You likely will get the answer "I'm a good person." Use that as a lead-in to witness.

8. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Having trouble getting started on witnessing to someone can be one of the hardest things to get used to...and to have a fear or concern about it only makes you normal.

As for technique, you just need to find what is comfortable for you. Know the Scriptures and the truth behind them first and foremost, and have a workable testimony about your salvation that you can share at anytime.

Look at stuff like Evangelism Explosion, Way of the Master, and whatever else is out there...and glean what you can from them. I don't think any one way is more right than the other, but some do have better results.

The keys are faith and repentance based on the knowledge of sinfulness and a need for salvation.

God bless on your walk with Him:godisgood: and it's good to be working with you to build God's kingdom.

9. TheBibleSender

TheBibleSender New Member

I have a good book I would like to send you called One Thing You Can;t Do In Heaven by Mark Cahill It has some great pointers and tips. Pm me if you are interested. God bless. :)

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some good pointers already! I would second the idea of finding someone that you could go out with - on the job training. :thumbs:

Know that there are as many styles of witnessing as there are people. None are right and none are wrong, they are just the way people share their Lord with those that need to know Him. That is the key - know your Lord and share what He had done for you.

As has been said the Holy Spirit is where the power is - you do your job to the best of your ability and He will do His.