1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wmu

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This question is basically for Southern Baptists

Does your church have an active WMU?

If so, tell us about it, if not, why not.

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's a WMU?

It is catching?

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

no, we don't. We have other women's groups instead. Still very active in missions and missions giving.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We don't. Instead we've redeployed the concept as our women's ministry, kept the spirit but changed the name.

The Women's Missionary Union has been a wonderful thing but seems to have fallen away due to a) realignment of denominational priorities and b) change in the nature of ministry programming.

The church I grew up in had a very active WMU and I have been blessed by their ministry. It is a wonderful thing. :)

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Womens Missionary Union here is the link

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Our church has an active WMU but there is only one woman under 50 and most of them are over 60. My wife is active in it but she participates out of a sense of duty, not desire. The younger women will usually pitch in if there is a local project but they are not part of the organization. They seem to prefer ad hoc activities more than the canned programs of the WMU. I believe they also have less of a sense of the importance of missions. I expect that within 10 years the SBC will have a women's organization but it will not be called WMU and will bear no resemblance to the present organization.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stands for Women Mad at U

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously, We have a WMU. They meet and talk about missions and set the offering goals for the Christmas International Missions offering and the Easter Home Missions offering.

It is something the older ladies grew up with and now enjoy. It will probably die a natural death as the more mature ladies pass from the scene.

The younger women would FAR rather do missions and use actual missions projects to teach children and others about Southern Baptist mission philosophy and work.