1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women’s positions in the church poll

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Sep 29, 2010.

?
  1. Children or youth director/minister

30 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Music director/minister

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Sunday School teacher—children or youth

36 vote(s)
    90.0%
  4. Sunday School teacher— adult women

38 vote(s)
    95.0%
  5. Sunday School teacher—adult men

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. Sunday School teacher—mixed gender adults

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Deacon

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. Associate Pastor

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  9. Administrative Pastor

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  10. Senior Pastor

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know about the wisdom of this poll, but it’s just a following up of the related thread, and also in the Baptist (only) section, as different churches have differeing views, as well as positions.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good poll and already surprising (to me) results.

Four out of twelve (that is one-third if my public school math serves me) BAPTISTS think having a woman pastor is biblical????

Interesting.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

There are lots of us. We're catching up with the rest of the evangelical world in that we at least thoroughly engage with the issue.

Anyways, all of the above, though I'm not sure why a woman would want to teach a men only class. Also not sure why we need men only class.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly. But the bulk of Baptists are Souther Baptist Convention, the Black conventions, or historic Independent types (coming off the Northern Baptist Convention). NONE of these would condone women pastors.

So must be only the most liberal Baptists (my home church left the American Baptist Convention for its liberalism long before women's lib) that would so violate one of the clearest teaching of the Word.

A colleague of mine said that NO church has a female elder/pastor. If they put a female in such a role, they forfeit being a church by definition.

But on with the poll.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree. You certainly are catching up with the rest of the world, but falling behind in the Lord. Everyone who hates the Lord jump on board!There was only two possible choices possible from the poll.
    Sunday school teacher for children
    Sunday school teacher for women.
    What we are seeing is that we have allowed to creep in those who stand against the Lord and His word. Now the church will pay and is paying the price for its rebellion. We are now full blown into the falling away fueled by this postmodernism that is griping the world and church. Unless we repent the true church is doomed to die a death of sin and rebellion. Believing they are alive but dead.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying that everyone who disagrees with your theological stance regarding women in the church "hates the Lord"?

Hardly. Paul commended Phoebe, who was a deacon in the church, in Romans 16:1. Did Paul "hate the Lord"?

The true church cannot die. The Lord sustains it and not even the gates of Hell can prevail against it.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Uh...that was evangelical world.

Are you really telling me that the Church is going to die? That's way more disturbing than female leadership.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Oh come on, Dr. Bob. You know as well as I do that female leadership is not a liberal idea by definition. It has very little to do with the true liberal influence on the Church, which goes so far as to deny the resurrection. My church is theologically conservative and still allows women to serve.

You also know that it is not so clear and that we must interpret instead of jumping straight from reading to application. Careful what you imply about those of us who strive to be faithful to the Bible and obey the Spirit's leading in our lives.

9. RAdam

RAdam New Member

If you were faithful to the bible you would accept the clear teaching of scripture rather than set it aside for modern society's ideas.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the same line used by many Baptist preachers in the South used in the mid-1800's about slavery.

And I bet a fair number use this sentence or ones very close to it in defending segregation in the 1950's and 1960's.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No I am not saying anything. The Lord says it. Unless we keep His commands we do not love Him.

The passage in Romans about Phoebe is not suggesting that she was a deacon in the official capacity. The word simply means one that serves. She was not an official deacon as in the church. That is made clear in 1Tim. A woman cannot meet the standards of the Lord.
    Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

So if they take the position that a woman is intened to be deacons then you rebel against the Lord.

You are correct that the true church cannot die, but what we are seeing today is not the true church. You make that clear in trying to defend women as deacons and not holding to sound doctrine.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

WOW! How old are you! Do you have any tapes of what you are saying?

13. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Great red herring! Way to tie in racism! That'll surely shut me up.

The bible nowhere teaches that one should own slaves. I would like to see a verse in support of slavery from the bible. I see many verses that deal with slavery, but always the bible seems to be neutral on the subject.

This quote from you is ridiculous: "And I bet a fair number use this sentence or ones very close to it in defending segregation in the 1950's and 1960's."

Really? You bet? How about some evidence before assuming some preachers used this line during segregation days. If you don't have any, perhaps you should keep your "bets" to yourself rather than accuse people all the while having no idea whether your theory is true or not. But, then again, what does it matter to you? I mean, it served its purpose right? Whether you were right or not doesn't matter, only that you discredited my argument. If you had to make a false accusation to do it, it's well worth it.

You cannot find a single justification for promoting slavery or segregation from the bible. Not a single one. In fact, the NT plainly speaks against great racist views the Jews held toward the Gentiles. Oh man, that just ruined your argument. Too bad. On the other hand, the bible plainly and clearly assigns the leadership in the church to men and restricts the church offices to men. But you'd rather run around and try to link my arguments up with racism than be truthful concerning the scriptures. Par for the course with you.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no where can you find verses condemning slavery. Paul seems to see no problem with slavery not did Peter.

But that does not negate the point that preachers in the South used the Bible to defend slavery … just as preachers in the North used the Bible to condemn slavery. My sentence holds … preachers did use the same type of sentence to defend and/or justify slavery as you used in your post.

If you want to read the entire book, “Scriptural Researches on the Licitness of the Slave-Trade” go to:

http://books.google.cz/books?id=1dU...&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

On preachers and segregation. There is no doubt segregation was defended by preachers in the South.

Rev. Carey Daniels who was Vice Chairman, Texas Citizens Council aka White Citizens Council of Dallas and Pastor, First Baptist Church of West Dallas wrote: “God The Original Segregationist”

The sermon is contained in the book which you can buy from Amazon.
    Almighty God Created the Races: Christianity, Interracial Marriage, and American Law by Fay Botham

Rev. Henry W. Fancher Sr. wrote: “Segregation: God’s Plan and God’s Purpose”.

Rev. Jerry Falwell gave sermons at his church justifying segregation as God's will --- although, to his credit, he later apologized for doing so.

I can remember preachers on the radio railing about the reasons God demanded segregation. I was just a kid and teenager, but remember it well. I seriously doubt that any of their sermons are available. It was local radio and I am sure there were no archives nor recordings kept. Also, on nightly news back then preachers in the South were interviewed who defended segregation.

We have our fullest revelation of God through Jesus Christ ... but we do not yet fully understand that revelation and all that God desires. In time we will, but it will be a long time before that is true.

Let me give you one last quote. This is a quote from a minister, G.T. Gillespie of Jackson, Mississippi:

Interestingly he quotes no scripture to back up his opinion.

Getting late here. No more today. Sleep well.

#14 Crabtownboy, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Again! How old are you that you know what preachers preached in the 1800's?

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note, I said about segregation I remember preachers ...........

not about slavery. But any student of history can find information about preachers defending slavery.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No I am telling you that the church is already dead for the most part.

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Why didn't they use scripture to support them? Could it be that I was right in that the bible nowhere teaches in support of slavery or segregation? Hmm, interesting. There goes your argument.

Meanwhile you still haven't dealt with the fact that the bible clearly teaches against women being in leadership roles in the church and against women holding the two church offices. Unlike the red herring you brought up, the bible actually does clearly teach those things.

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Oh my goodness. You are holding me down to your own particular convictions. We are not talking about one of the fundamentals of the faith here. I'm not denying the virgin birth or resurrection. This issue is completely bound up in interpretation. I have struggled, prayed, read and done my best to follow the Spirit's leading in this issue. In the end, this is where I have come. The implications of your statement are actually pretty insulting and judgmental. You are basically saying that the majority of evangelicals who do not see this issue as so clear cut are intentionally not being faithful to the Bible. That is crazy. Some of the most godly, thoughtful, earnest and intelligent believers either 1) believe that women can serve in any capacity or 2) believe that there are restrictions, but it is not an easy interpretive task figuring out what it means or how to administer it.

If, in our finite human minds and hearts, we are wrong, God's grace is enough to cover our mistakes, just as it is if you are wrong, which I'm sure you don't believe you are either. I've been in your shoes before.

20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have somehow missed the fact that faithful Christians may come to different interpretations of scripture in their effort to keep the Lord's commandments.

Fortunately, the Lord judges rightly according to the intent of the heart and our faithfulness to His leading, so it is likely that neither one of us is under condemnation.

On what basis do you make that determination?

It is exactly the same word that is used for the male deacons in Acts. If you don't believe me, ask Dr. Bob. He is scrupulously honest about the word of God.

The way Paul specifically calls her out seems to indicate she is serving in an "official" position:

"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant (deacon) of the church in Cenchrea. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me." - Romans 16:1-2

As you probably know, many Christians understand that there are guidelines for female deacons in this passage:

"Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things."

I'll let the Lord judge His servants in this matter.

I see the true church all the time. The true church is full of people with issues and slight to serious doctrinal error. If the church in Corinth could be a true church, then any church that embraces the core of the gospel of Christ is a true church.

Hey thanks for the condemnation!

I don't feel any strong urge to try to defend female deacons since Paul commends one in Romans. For me to try to explain that away would be to deny sound doctrine.

FWIW, I've been on the other side of this issue. What began the change in my understanding of this issue was E. Earle Ellis's chapter entitled, "Paul and the Eschatological Woman" in his book, Pauline Theology. Until his recent death, he served on the faculty of Southwestern Seminary at the pleasure of seminary president, Paige Patterson.

He was an extremely conservative interpreter of scripture.