1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women as ministers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 21, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Debby,I'm printing it off actually. I would love to be a youth minister but I am having conflicting thoughts so I am enjoying both sides of the matter. I have my application here for Liberty University's Seminary waiting to be filled out. I just need to pray about it some more until I feel it's not right or I am totally at peace. Right now I am somewhere in the middle. This isn't something I always wanted to do. God just recently brought it to my attention and I can't ignore it.

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Of course not. The Blood of Christ covers all the sins and mis-doings of those who trust in Him.

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it is a matter of interpretation. So you just have to go with the Lord puts in your heart. I would not put down anyone here for disagreeing with me on this one. As far as I'm concerned, in the Family of God as a whole, this is right up there with baptism, the Lord's Supper, and even speaking in tongues. We all have our interpretations that we will defend with great vigor. What matters is the basic message of the Gospel, "What have you done with Jesus?" Amen?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

To inject a little light hearted humor.
    Originally posted by Debby in Philly:
    Did anyone read the link I posted?
    Originally posted by Pa. Jim:
    Of course not!

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Hey. I'm willing to look at all points of view on this one.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When folks post almost identical topics again and again, trying to get an answer they like or vindication for something they do, I get irritated.

On any of the previous threads, you will find what the Scriptures say.

The only "minister" from a spiritual perspective is the pastor/elder or other gifts of ministry, and from secular perspective our government officials.

[One new thought - the woman at the well as not "an evangelist" as in a minister of the church. She was a witness, sharing salvation with her friends (and lovers). We are ALL to do that and I commend it.

But when Paul later uses the "office of evangelist or pastor or apostle" it is an official position in the church and apples/oranges from our simple sharing of the Good News.]

7. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Donna, I noticed you are SBC. So is your church fairly open to women in this position (excluding the pastor role)? Or, is this your opinion aside from your church?

8. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Quite frankly, this is how I look at this issue. If the Devil wanted to significantly reduce the impact of Christ's church on the world he would cause the following two things to happen:

1) Split Christ's Church into various denominations who won't work with each other due to minor differences in doctrine or tradition, and

2) Limit the effectiveness of 50% of the church (women) by putting restrictions on them.

Ask yourself this question. If Christ walked into a church this Sunday that had a woman pastor do you really believe He would walk up on the podium and angrily remove her simply because she's a woman? I can't see it happening.

When she dies and stands before judgement I believe she will hear those words we all long to hear, "Well Done My good and faithful servant."

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a hoot! You have a title "straight and narrow" then give the most liberal slant, totally "blowing off" the Bible, that I've seen.

Change your name or change your ways!

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

What? About a woman being educated? Our church doesn't have a problem with women being educated. We will not accept a woman pastor (or deacons).

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Following whats in your own heart means doing it your way no matter what scripture says.

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

i want to agree but I don't want to break the rules either

13. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but "what scripture says" is different things to different people. That's why we have division, and why we are even having this exchange here.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

It means something different to people, not to God, to Him it means one thing. Even so, we are to follow scripture as our authroity on right and wrong and not, our feelings. Has everything you ever felt been good and in line with scripture?

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I also believe there is only ONE meaning for scripture and not 'different meanings for different people'. New Agers (NO ONE ON THIS THREAD) like to use a little scripture with a lot of falsehoods to prove their point. Even the JW's and Mormon's will use scripture mixed with other things to prove their stance.

I think these verses talk about the misuse of scripture by groups like those I mentioned above. Even some Baptist churches have now accepted the gay population saying God didn't mean what he said.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

16. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

As least what I say is Biblical and compatible with Christ's teachings. Topics like this one make me think of an argument between Jesus and the Pharasees.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I couldn't agree more.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    StraightandNarrow - I "gave it" to you and you are welcome to "give it back"!! No hard feeling in the exchange.

But the issue is one of basic Bible interpretation and whether the Bible is understood as allegorical (giving vague, general principles) or literal (giving word-for-word, careful instruction of "how-to").

Let's take THAT issue into another thread in the Theology Forum.

19. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

My husband is the pastor of our SBC church and before they hired him, they asked me if I'd be youth director (they didnt pressure me to.) That's how we worked at our previous church, so I was thrilled that we could continue to be a team. Then 2 years later when our "song leader" resigned, they hired me for that role as well. (I have a Masters in Church Music). They looked at other candidates, but they thought God had put me there for a reason. For our very small church
    (and small salary) they would not have been able to get a man with the education that could support a family and not commute (they really didnt want a commuter- and we are waaaaaay out in the country). It has worked out beautifully. I coordinate the worship services according to DH's preaching plan, and staff meetings are a real hoot! [​IMG] I do not "usurp" authority over him in any way. He actually teaches me so much. Musically, I do teach males in a church setting, but I have the education, and they are eager to learn. As for teaching students, again, I have a seminary education and since many folks around here have GED's or a high school diploma only, they are getting more from me than they would from most men in our church. Now, I DO discuss with my husband every passage I teach because I dont want to just gloss over something or miss something. He attends every youth event and is usually the one who gives the "devotion" at these events. These teens spend tons of time in our home, eating our food, playing with our kids, and even sometimes spending the night. We talk straight with these kids, and they know we'll talk/listen on any topic they need to discuss. We really work as a team, and we love it. So call me director, minister, worker, I dont care, but as long as God provides the opportunity, I will minister to these kids. As for being able to relate to guy issues, well, I'm not a guy, but I do know and understand issues they have. Men dont menstruate (and its a shame!), but many can discuss it intelligently.

Our church would never go for women deacons or pastors, nor would I. But support roles in the church are NOT clearly lain out in the New Testament, no matter how many times the "usurping" verse is quoted. A class on the social setting of the New Testament (which is currently available at our church) would be tremendously helpful in understanding some issues in the New Testament that we try to fit into our own cultural ideas.

I havent really posted much on these topics that have been debated here lately, so there are all my would-be posts rolled into one!!! [​IMG]

20. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

The link by Debby in Philly presents the common arguments for ordaining women as pastors/elders. The position is known as egalitarianism, in contrast to complementarianism which holds that women are certainly gifted and qualified in many areas, but that they are not to be in the position of pastor or deacon in the church. This came up under a thread about women deacons and I had planned to complete my response earlier this week, just have lost control of my schedule due to circumstances beyond my complete control. Posting to the board is somewhat of a leisure activity for me and I have lost most of my leisure time this week. Hope to complete a detailed response by middle of next week. Since it will be somewhat detailed at points, will probably put in on the theology section. Will come back here with a link though.

In the meanwhile, here is an excellent site that presents the complementarian (and I believe the Biblical) side of the issue.

http://www.cbmw.org/questions/