1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women in combat

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by thjplgvp, Jan 26, 2007.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Scarlet, I am finished also. I do not know about the speed with which women think. It may have been meant that men's reflexes are faster than women's. I know that my reflexes are slow with age. I also know that a man who says that he understands women will lie about just about anything....

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Scarlett

I think third issue you listed is a valid argument, although I would not phrase it like that. Women almost always are weaker.

Remember the guy who escaped from custody and held the girl hostage, the one who turned himself in becasuse his hostage read purpose driven life to him. Remember the reason he escaped, because the female officer was smaller and weaker them him. He simply overpowered her.

I dont know why you would rule physical strength out as an issue for women in combat.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't rule it out.

Being relatively smaller than men and less capable to perform some physical tasks is a strong argument.

I realize that that particular woman was not able to handle that particular criminal, but I guarantee you that there are some women out there who could have taken him down.

Am I saying that that is a reason for women being in combat. No!

But associating the word "weak" with women in a general and blanket statement implies inferiority of physical agility.

There are too many brilliantly gifted female athletes and too many mothers who perform heavy manual labor for women to be blanketly labeled as weak.

And labeling an entire gender as "weak" implies an intellectual discrepancy and a deficiency in character.

I simply felt that the broad-brush phrase, "women are weak" needed clarifying and could not stand alone as a stereotype and be a valid argument.

Again, I am not necessarily in favor of women being in combat. I am about 85% opposed to their being there.

I just don't like broad-brushed stereotypes.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Ok, I agree with that.

If we are going to allow women into combat (we should not) but if we do. Then they should be able to pass the same physical test as the men. And that does not mean we should lower the physical standards so they can pass.

If the physical test excludes %99.9 of women then so be it.

Women in the military should also be held to the same grooming standards as the men. That means short hair, no jewlery and makeup.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. If there are some women who are combat competent, then that means they haved passed the same physical and psychological requirement as men as and comply with the same grooming standards that the military requires.

What is the policy in the military for jewelry?

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

But that is not the way it is in the military or law enforcement. If the physical test is to dificult for women they lower the standards.

Most law enforcement use the Cooper Test for their physical standards. It gives different standards for male and female as well as age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_test

I was watching a program during the first Gulf War. There was a lady on an aircraft carrier loading bombs on airplanes. She had hair (curled) below her shoulders, makeup and dangley earrings. And a jumpsuit, looked funny enough that I remember it. :smilewinkgrin:

7. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I kinda like the idea of hordes of women burning and pillaging! :thumbs:

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes indeed, and I re-emphasize "NOT" in combat. Simply because she is female is enough, but, there is something about man protecting woman at a basic level that would unbalance a unified combat attack. Men are able to adopt a "warrior" attitude with all the proper hormones and endorphins, etc. in times of need and I believe women do not have them available. I wouldn't even have them "in theater", but in support positions many times removed from battle.

#48 hillclimber1, Jan 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2007