1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women in Politics

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Cutter, May 5, 2010.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You missed the point, man! God's design for man and woman is not the same as you think it should be. It is what He meant it to be. Show me something that you think supports your view.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The word for helper means completion. It doesn't mean helper in the sense of an aide or a subservient purpose.

This is the problem when we take a nuda scriptura approach instead of using good exegesis and interpretation.

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Give me a break. man! The word "helper" means "helper" - plain and simple - and, yes, it was a completion of God's design. It does mean subservient in certain functions while equivalent in the total creation. God did not make woman as a lessor creation but He did make woman as a helper for man and under man's authority. Like it or not - that was His design. The concept is clearly reinforced in numerous other scripture.

#63 Dragoon68, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
  4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm still waiting for scriptural proof to back up your opinion. Wake me up when it's ready!:sleep::laugh:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The word is ezer and it is used for God as well. Does God need a completer? No. It's used in Psalm 20:2 "May he send you help from the sanctuary and give you support from Zion!" Is David saying "May he send you completion from the sanctuary"? No. Your Hebrew is quite lacking.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

God placed the man as leadership in the church and the home. While women and men and their appropriate places are not mentioned in scripture such is true because the issue was not brought up, not because God approved of women in politics.

Being consistent with the church and the home there is no reason to think God would view women in politics in any manner different from the home and the church.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a very liberal interpretation of scripture ... a false one.

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

If, after reading these posts, you do not have the biblical proof, I am afraid you will never wake up. :BangHead:

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If thou doest havest a dangly part, thou art fit before the LORD to serve as a chieftain. If thou havest not the wiggly spout, thou must be a hysterical and unfit maidservant. - Cutter 4:24

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

See, Magnetic Poles gets it. :applause: If he, of all people, can get it then every other liberal on here should be able to, too. :thumbsup:

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Hat is in the Ring, for Women in Government!

While there are Biblical truths that tell us that women have no right to be in positions of leadership over men in a church setting, there does not seem to be any Biblical reference as to whether or not women should be in places of leadership in government.

The reasons this nation did not have women in leadership roles in our early days of infancy as a nation, must have been a personal preference of our founding fathers.

And, while it is true that women were not even allowed to vote, on August 26, 1920, the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution became law, and women could finally vote in the fall elections, including in the Presidential election. IMHO, this Amendment opened the door for women to seek the right to sit next to men in all public offices in order to run this nation.

Secondly, it must not be forgotten that - as I have had it pointed out to me so many times in past posts - that this is not a Christian nation, therefore, the Bible has very little influence in how the government runs, and which sex is allowed to lead it.

I can't believe that in some ways, I'm actually in agreement with Crabtownboy and MP, but, this is a matter that has little to do with the church, because this nation does have principles that separate the church from the state. "The separation of church and state is a legal and political principle derived from various documents of several of the Founders of the United States. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution reads 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . .' The modern concept is often credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke, but the phrase 'separation of church and state' is generally traced to an 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists, where Jefferson spoke of the combined effect of the Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. It has since been in several opinions handed down by the United States Supreme Court,[1] though the Court has not always fully embraced the principle." taken from Wikipedia.

There seems to be no Biblical justification that would prohibit the American form of government from having women work side by side with men in the operation of this nation.

Sorry, Cutter, but this one looks like a "slam-dunk" for women's rights!:flower:

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

12. Magnetic Poles

Giving credit where credit is due...Good Post RD2.

13. Mississippi John

Great post RD2 !!! :thumbs:

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No way, my friend! There's plenty of Biblical basis defining the roles of men and women and their relationships starting with creation that illustrate it is not God's design to have women take on leadership roles over men. There are some many areas of society where this failure is increasingly evident. It includes the marriage, home, family, church, government, and military. What we have now is a society that doesn't know what to do. Men compete with women and women compete with men. Women grow up thinking they have to do what men have to do in order to be equal or fulfilled in life. They do not have the security of a strong husband to look to - marriage has become a weakened institution - and they seek it for themselves outside the home. The home - the God prescribed domain of the woman - suffers because of it. "Love" and sex are readily available outside the security of marriage for both men and women. Men don't assume responsibility for leadership in the home, over the family, nor in civil government. They seek to pacify everyone and compromise on every opportunity. They abdicate their responsibilities. Men of principle are sorely lacking. Good women have, from time to time, stepped up to the plate to fill roles men should have filled. Good for them but that does not mean it was so intended. The Biblical record illustrates generations after generations of male leadership, responsibility, and accountability even for the fall of mankind. It is man that holds the authority and the responsibility. We have given it up because we fear the wrath of political correctness in this modern world. We let people change the proper interpretation of God's design into a devious domineering sexist attitude. But that is not the kind of leadership that God design nor the kind being advocated. If men would start fulfilling their roles at home as husbands and fathers, raising their children to understand God's truths, and taking charge of their family then, perhaps, this corruption of God's design could be reversed. That's how I read it in His word and see it in this world! The political correctness garbage means nothing to me!

#74 Dragoon68, May 6, 2010
  15. Magnetic Poles

I Can't Believe It's Not Cutter!

[​IMG]

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You just can't believe there might be more than a few people who think differently than you and most of those who have responded. It wouldn't matter to me if I were the only one! I give Cutter credit for being bold enough to speak the truth as unpopular as it might be. I happen to agree with him on this one.

Making men and women "equal" in all things - not in the since of value but in the sense of purpose and function - is a highly destructive trend that destroys the institutions of the marriage, the family, the church, and the government. It's effects are evident in America's present decline.

17. Magnetic Poles

You are a bigger buzzkill than Buzz Killington.

Seriously though, I do not find it hard to believe there are people who think like you do. I find it highly amusing. It must be wild living several centuries in the past. Party like it's 1699 dude!

18. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Is that you, Peter?

I know you do and you've got lots of company.

God has not changed in the centuries since he created us. We, on the other hand, continue to find ways to justify our disobedience.

I urge you to read carefully His complete word and better understand how he designed man and woman to function together in harmony but in different roles for different functions and how far from that harmony we have drifted over time.

#78 Dragoon68, May 6, 2010
  19. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

My wife and I love reading this scripture:

Proverbs 31:10-31

"An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil All the days of her life.

She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. She is like merchant ships; She brings her food from afar. She rises also while it is still night And gives food to her household And portions to her maidens.

She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard. She girds herself with strength And makes her arms strong. She senses that her gain is good; Her lamp does not go out at night.

She stretches out her hands to the distaff, And her hands grasp the spindle. She extends her hand to the poor, And she stretches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of the snow for her household, For all her household are clothed with scarlet. She makes coverings for herself; Her clothing is fine linen and purple.

Her husband is known in the gates, When he sits among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, And supplies belts to the tradesmen. Strength and dignity are her clothing, And she smiles at the future.

She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her, saying: 'Many daughters have done nobly, But you excel them all.'

Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her the product of her hands, And let her works praise her in the gates."

This describes the traits of a woman that every man should desire in his wife.

It is centuries old but it is still absolutely relevant today.

#79 Dragoon68, May 6, 2010
  20. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Here we find more of God's instructions to women:

Titus 2:3-5

"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored."

God said and he meant it!

#80 Dragoon68, May 6, 2010