1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Leading Prayer and Singing...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Sep 11, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Shouldn't Scripture be the rule of faith and practice in the life of the church?

2. Therefore, we must have Scripture to support what we believe and practice.

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Sure Scripture should support what we practice and preach, but just because Scripture doesn't come out and explicitly state something doesn't mean that you cannot reach a conclusion about a subject by collectively taking into account overall Scripture regarding the roles males and females fill in the Body of Christ. You yourself could not give a definitive scripture in the Calvinists thread about children going to hell, but you did voice your opinion, probably by doing what I just mentioned.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I provided some Scriptures, but I haven't seen any from you.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What? Seven pages and nobody thought it was a good idea for women to use semaphore? You women have something against waving flags?

:laugh:

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

1 Samuel 1:26 And she said, Oh my lord, [as] thy soul liveth, my lord, I [am] the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD.

Hannah thought it not wrong to pray before Eli the Priest before the temple door in the OT. Although she was rebuked by man (Eli), God heard and answered her prayer.

Psalms 150:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
    :2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
    :3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
    :4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
    :5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
    :6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Women have breath, women can pray, women can sing, women can praise the Lord.

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I had no idea what semaphore was. So I looked it up. Then I laughed!

love,

Sopranette

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 2:36-38
    And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;
    And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
    And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I happen to disagree that women should be pastors, or preachers, but sometimes I think some of you guys need a good sermon from a woman.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Here Cutter, add these to your list.

In the Upper Room of Acts 1 just before Pentacost, where the women and men were praying together in one accord as a church body.

Now this next one isn't so much about the church as it is amoungst the those of like faith.

Singing - how about the scripture which speaks of "speaking to one another in Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual songs" - There is no gender qualification nor ciriteria whereby they must do so only the to the same sex/gender.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Apart from a woman pastoring and giving authoritative exposition on the Scriptures, I see no reason why a woman cannot leading singing and prayer.

2. I just wanted to know how some argue for or against the position.

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I with you brother on this one. I agree with your position.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What then is the meaning of 1 Cor 11:5?

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Well, first off what is doesn't. I am sure it doesn't contradict I Tim 2:12, so that's why I agreed with Brother Williams. Woman are not to lead in Church services. So now to what it does mean. Disregarding the head covering part, because I don't think that is what you were getting at or what this thread is about. I think it means just what it says. Women may pray, women may proclaim the truth to unbelievers.

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks, TC. You are a mine of information!

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Where did you get that "women may pray, women may proclaim the truth to unbelievers" from 1 Cor 11:5?

2. What would be the need of proper decorum if it weren't in the public assembly before men?

16. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

By bring up that verse you obviously are trying to allude to something. I guess I don't know the point you are trying to make, so why don't you just tell me. What does that verse mean to you in relation to the OP?

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Women led in prayer in the public assembly in the presence of men.

18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

"But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved."

I think you are choosing to add a little more to it than it really says. I don't get from this verse that women are to lead prayer in church or to teach or have authority over men in church. There is no mention of that in this verse. It's not what the verse is addressing. I will choose to not read into the verse any more than it says. And since I don't believe scripture will contradict itself, I think 1 Tim. 2:12 does address this much more specifically:

"And I do not permit a women to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence."

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Where was this done? Is there anything in the context of 1 Cor 11 to help us answer this question?

2. 1 Tim 2:12 is another animal for another day.

3. Above you said that 1Cor 11:5 was speaking of women addressing unbelievers, Where is that in the text?

4. You said that I've added to the text, but where is that in the text?

20. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

It might be for another day, but I think it adresses the topic at hand much more specifiacally.

Well, since based on what 1 Tim 2:12 says I don't think it can be talking about leading men in church as you have chosen to conclude. So I conclude that it must mean something else. And since I think scripture does clearly instruct us (all Christians men and women) that we are all to share the Gospel to the unbelieving world, I think that this is a reasonable interpretation of what it might be referring to when it mentions woman prophesies. As far as when it mentions prayer, it is that alone it mentions. Women pray in many situations and here is some instruction of that, I don't see where this verse means leading the congregation in prayer. I think this verse is intructing more on the proper attitude of these things than anything else.