1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Women ministers

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rebel, May 28, 2015.

1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both articles the one linked too and the one about Hebrews are weak and in need of more research. Almost no one sees Priscilla as the author of Hebrews. It is absurd to think she was a co-pastor. Like many other things in the wiki article such ideas are purely eisegetical.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, like 'Mr. Nobody' John Yates? He serves alongside Albert Mohler, Mark Dever, etc., on the Council of The Gospel Coalition.

From his sermon "St. Paul and Women":

"Priscilla really had the gift of leadership and discernment. She and her husband were single-handedly responsible for straightening out Apollos, that wandering preacher. A mighty preacher he was, but he didn't quite understand the gospel or the Holy Spirit. Together they straightened him out. Funny how God always seemed to raise up women in the places where [Paul] started churches, strong women who shared with [him] in leadership like Timothy did, and Titus did. There were two in Philippi, Syntyche and Euodias—strong ladies. They had some quarrels between the two of them, but they led powerfully. Phoebe—she was a deacon in the church at Cenchrea—was a tremendous help to [Paul]. Then, in Rome, there were so many women who were in leadership there with the men. There was Persis; there was Tryphosa; there was Tryphena; and so many other women who shared. Then Andronicus and his wife, Junias—they were so gifted in church planning and in leadership that we sort of referred to both of them as apostles together. Although it certainly wasn't customary in those days for women to do anything beyond their traditional roles, it was clear from the beginning that the Lord did intend women and men both to teach, to lead, to organize, to minister together."

"Many churches have found that having an ordained woman as one of their pastors has strengthened the whole pastoral team greatly. To some, it would feel uncomfortable to have a woman preach or stand at the Holy Table. To others, it would be rather comforting. Listen, a person's gender is not as important as their wisdom and their maturity and their gifts when it comes to ministry."

#3 Jerome, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Strictly speaking, the words "minister," "preacher," and "pastor" are not exactly synonymous with each other.

Granted, a pastor usually fills the roles of a minister and preacher, but not all ministers or preachers are pastors.

One IFB church I was in had "deaconesses."

These were ladies (usually the deacons' wives) who assisted in preparing for the Lord's Table (communion). This involved the making of the unleavened bread and filling (and later cleaning out) the cups.

These deaconesses were not "church officers" and were not considered to be church staff personnel. They had no particular authority but were merely helpers.

I see no particular problems with a local church having deaconesses; however, that church was the only church that I know of that had such a position as deaconess.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think Scripture could be more clear about a woman in a role of a pastor. However, I do believe in women ministers. I am a woman minister and have done a lot of ministry in my years at our church. But then again, anyone who does anything more than walk in the building, sit in the seat and then leave after the service is over is a minister. We ALL should be ministers. But this doesn't change the fact that a pastor is a role that is set aside for men.

6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Thank you for this post.

It seems clear that women were indeed in leadership roles in the NT, including teaching.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Were they teaching in the assembly and were they teaching men in the assembly?

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

From what I have read, yes.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you refer me to the verses?

10. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I believe these are evidence for it, although you may disagree:

Acts 18:26, about Priscilla

Philippians 4:2-3 The article says this: "Not surprisingly, Euodia and Syntyche are chiefly remembered as two people who had an argument, and their names are most commonly associated with disagreement. However, for some commentators, as also for some church institutions, there is further significance in the implied leadership role of the two women within the Philippian church. This leadership role, which some have suggested included ordained ministry, is taken to be implied both by Paul's interest in their argument, and by the language used by Paul in addressing their disagreement."

See also this article: http://newlife.id.au/equality-and-gender-issues/euodia-and-syntyche-church-leaders-at-philippi/

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind of a stretch don't ya think?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are right. I disagree because it's reading into the text that which is not there.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it is more akin to saying the sky color is pink with purple pocadots.

14. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Possibly. Although considering the culture of that area in that time, it does seem unusual that Paul would say these things about these women and seem to give them such prominence. Also, there is the case of Junia.

Anyway, I don't think these cases are overwhelming evidence but are some evidence for women in leadership positions. It is apparent, though, that Priscilla and Aquilla are considered a team and equal. And Priscilla is obviously presented as teaching Apollos.

I do try to be objective despite my personal opinions and preferences.

#14 Rebel, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
  15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Paul was following Jesus' example and recognizing that women are important and are able to do incredible ministry but realize that Jesus chose 12 MEN to be the leaders that He would leave. The women were still vitally important and He made sure to show up to them first (or maybe the women were just more on the ball and so encountered Him first - I wouldn't be surprised - LOL) but that doesn't mean that women can fulfill the role of a pastor.

However, in individual situations, I've also taught men. When there was something I was more knowledgeable about, I've taken the time to show a guy where something is spoken of in the Bible - but like Priscilla, I do it with my husband with me as well.

16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are a Christian you are a minister. There are ministries inside the church. There are ministries outside the church. There are ministries in every workplace.

So, be a minister wherever you find yourself.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

18. vooks

vooks Active Member

I have a question or two;
    1. Between Teachers and Prophets, which is the greater gift as per 1Cor 12:28?
    2. Should women praying cover their heads as per 1Cor 10:4-6?

#18 vooks, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2015
  19. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Food for thought.

And Philips 4 daughters - prophets.

Anna in the temple - a prophet.

with 1Cor 12 saying that in the church there are "FIRST Apostles, SECOND Prophets, THIRD teachers"...

Who are first to see the risen Christ and give that message to others?? the women.

Who is first to proclaim Christ - the Messiah in the temple? Anna.

Interesting subject.

in Christ,

Bob

20. targus

targus New Member

And false prophet Ellen White.

Seriously why are SDA allowed on this board?