1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Pastors

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

12 Tribes of Israel (Jacob's sons)...all men. It sure wasn't because there weren't women better than some of them.

12 Disciples...all men. It sure wasn't because there weren't women better than some of them. Think Judas.

NT chruches' Pastors...all men. It sure wasn't because there weren't women better than some of them.

Modern churches' Pastors...all men. It sure isn't because there aren't women better than some of them.

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit set things up the way they wanted to and it sure wasn't because they were bending to the culture of the times.

2. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I don't think women can be a pastor.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course women can be pastors. But should they is a different question. I believe women taking leadership positions that men should have tells a lot about the men in that church.

One time I had a woman call me and ask if I was interested in their church. I was and told her that. The next time she called I could hear her husband in the background. he asked if I visited the people. I told her I did. She said, "Good, because the men in the church are so busy that they don't have time to visit." I began to tell her that they were busier than God intended them to be. I also told her that when I was in secular employment I was a manager and still found time to visit. At the end of conversation I told her I was no longer interested, She came back reminding me of how I told her earlier that I was interested.

I am of the opinion that the pastor is not there to do their ministry. I believe that churches that will not work do not need a pastor but a mortician available.

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] and [​IMG] :(

5. LauraB

LauraB New Member

If your a Fundamentalist then you will believe what the Bible says about it. The role of preaching, Pastoring are reserved for men.

Although there is a place in ministry for women. We can witness, do missionary work etc.. but leave the Pastoring to the Men. The day a woman comes in my church to preach will be the day I look for a new church!

6. Abdiel

Abdiel New Member

I agree that God has reserved the role of pastor for men. However, I also saw in Romans that Phoebe was a deacon. What about women as deacons/deaconesses?

The Greek word "deakonos" is the same for Phoebe as it is for 1 Timothy 3.

Thanks.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the early church women served as deaconesses. They dealt with other women and children. It is my understanding that a pastor never dealt with a woman in the congregation but a deaconess did. A pastor would talk with a deacon and the deacon talked with the deaconess who talked with the woman.

There is plenty of evidence that the early church utilized women in ministry. There were women whose responsibility was to work with other women and children. They performed pastoral work with the sick and the poor and helped at baptism. From the earliest times deaconesses visited the sick, acted as door-keepers at the women's entrance to the church, kept order among church women, taught females in preparation for baptism and acted as sponsors for homeless children. They also carried official messages. There was a clearer line drawn between the sexes than there is today. Women deacons were not on the same level as men deacons. They could not teach and minister to mixed groups of people or men, and they were not ordained.

For the first 1200 years of Christianity there is loads of evidence of woman deacons in the church. However, the Western Roman Catholic church never had them. Whereas the eastern church did

Almost every country outside of the U.S. has deaconsesses in Baptist churches.

The emergence of deaconesses is unclear. But in the third and fourth centuries the office deaconess developed greatly. In a letter dated 112 A.D. Governor Pliny wrote a letter to the emperor Trajan. 'In it he mentions a couple of deaconesses. (Book X, XCVI, 8, 289)

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Helped with the children and homeless children sponsors? What verse? Women deacons not on the same level as men deacons? Paul didn't seem to think so! They could not teach...don't tell Apollos!

BTW the way there is not word deaconess, there is only deacon which means servant. The language does not seprerate between women and men...servant is servant women or man. Paul used unique (read made-up) wording to show he was trying to talk about a women.

Then your understanding would be wrong

9. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We had a Bible college trained woman in our church who for many years taught the adult Sunday School Class, which met in the sanctuary. She always used to say that it was a curious thing that she could preach in that room at 9:30 Sunday morning, but not at 10:30. Sounds rather silly when you describe it that way.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In other Christian denominations, yes. In Baptist congregations, generally, no.
    Scripturally, there are some verses that may impliy a ban on women as pastors, depending on how one interprets them. Baptists have generally interpreted those verses to imply that women should not serve as pastors. As a baptist, I'm required to adhere to the interpretational position of the SBC, which is no women pastors.

11. delly

delly New Member

NO. Women should not hold authority over men in the church.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh! You can be baptist without adhering to ANYTHING the SBC (thank the Lord!) Do you mean as a Southern Baptist I'm required to the....?

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then your understanding would be wrong </font>[/QUOTE]There is not a word for toilet either. Does that invalidate your excuse for using one? You obviously have not taken a look at any of the documentation I gave you. Furthermore you have given zero to support your idea. Just American nonsense.

In some countries today a pastor never deals with a woman, another deaconess does. I never stated that a woman was on the same level as a deacon. If you will read the first paragraph I wrote you will see the line of authority. You obviously did not read what I stated and drew your own biased conclusion before you read anything, "Women deacons were not on the same level as men deacons. They could not teach and minister to mixed groups of people or men, and they were not ordained."

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe scripture teaches that women should not be pastors. But have you ever looked at how much SBC theology has changed over the years. If you take a look at SBC history you might be quite surprised. The SBC started over the issue of supporting the stealing of men and women. They supported slavery. The north did not.

15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't believe women should have authority over/or teach men in church.

Outside the church however - Pricilla and Aquilla might have something to say about THAT subject...

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Yeah Sue, they would say that they taught Apollos together.

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No! 'Fraid not! Pris would have said, "Aquilla taught Apollos! And I helped!"

18. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

lol Blackbird. You sound like a commercial for 'Shake 'n' Bake'.

19. Abdiel

Abdiel New Member

gb 93433, I appreciate your response, and I am inclined to say that a servant is a servant (deakonos = deakonos). I am SBC, but I do not feel "required to" believe in male-only deacons.

Also, yours was an intelligent response, but please don't generalize by saying "just American nonsense". I am an American who thinks and speaks freely with intelligence gained through public education in the USA. Thanks!

20. GospelTrucker

GospelTrucker New Member

1 Tim. 3:2 says "A Bishop must then be blameless, The HUSBAND of one WIFE"...
    That means the Pastor must not only be a man but can't have been divorced.