1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Pastors?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dianna, Sep 26, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! :thumbs: :thumbs:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Further, now that I am riled up and ready to preach some . . .

The problem is that 'men' quit being 'men of God' when we started accepting 'hirelings' into the ministry. If we are willing to accept just any man that wants to work for a pay check, the we should expect that women will want to step up and get a pay check as well.

But, both are against God, His Word, and His will - IMHO.

Lord, Your people need revival.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well.........sorry, LeBuick, I just don't see the implication here that Priscilla and Aquila were left in charge of the church there. Even if they were there in some kind of teaching role, it would have been Aquila teaching. Possibly Priscilla was teaching women, but nothing indicates that. Every time Priscilla is mentioned, she is mentioned with Aquila, her husband.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tongue3:
    Thanks to you and dcorbett for absolution. If you have to, step on my toes to keep me on them--does that make sense?? :laugh:

5. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

The Gift of teaching

If you have the gift of teaching then whomever you are you should use that gift.The Holy Spirit will give you opportunity that is a key element of the Holy Spirit..."an opportunity giver"

A sovereign God knows what God is doing working with women who have the gift of teaching encouraging them and giving them opportunity by opening doors.

A local church and its leaders through help of prayer and the Holy Spirit will decide and those who want to brag and be self righteous they do not allow women teachers they have that freedom and can prevent it in their church...so the bottom line is ...you can choose but do not belittle the gift and if a woman has it...I personally would encourage her using it.

My goodness if you want to split hairs...a woman evangelist is basically teaching....teaching for an end result for a person to make a decision ..in so doing she is teaching revelation..and that revelation is Jesus saves! no buts attached.

This movement of spiritual women who are good hearted and want to serve will only grow because men are failing and some of that failing is they are now mixing politics with their interpretation of religion.

God will always get His job done and will use a woman in a nano second to get spiritual truth out and revelation of Jesus Christ out.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

again, Aslanspal,

is a woman's ministry negated simply because she only teaches to women? Why do some of you only consider it "using her gift" if she is preaching to men? Doesn't that seem the very epitome of what you are speaking out against?

and also, just because "opportunities open" does not mean it was God who opened the doors.

It isn't self-righteous of anyone to declare the Bible to be true. Any woman who pastors a group of men must ignore the Bible in order to do so. How can any of us consider that a GOOD policy for a "pastor" to have?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A woman can certainly teach - and use her gifts - but just not with men. Prophesy is OK but teaching and having authority over men is not. In our church, we have MANY women working - in counselling, teaching, worship, drama, children's ministries, cell ministries, preschool, and creative worship. Each woman is working in her gifting and God is using them in a mighty way - AND they are not disobeying the Word.

Ann

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's vocational will and spiritual gifts for a person never trumps His revealed will in the Bible. Check it out--most of the occurences of the phrase "will of God" mean His will as shown by revelation.

A sovereign God knows what He revealed to us in the Bible and does not contradict it by His providence.
    Oh that's great--if they believe the Bible just as it teaches, the church is bragging and self righteous. It's always easier to attack the person rather than deal with the exegesis. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    "The end justifies the means," eh?
    And how do you know this if God has not revealed it in His Word? Do you have chapter and verse for us? Any passages to exegete? I'm not accusing you of believing in it, but this is essentially the same kind of thinking done in neo-orthodoxy--"Live in the moment, there is no sure revelation, I just believe what God reveals to me in His Word at that moment, though it may differ from what others think, the Bible is not actually the Word of God but it contains the word of God."

#68 John of Japan, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christians for Biblical Equality make reference to this article which presents one egalitarian interpretation of 1 Cor 14:34-35 and 1 Tim 2:11-12.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately for scholars such as this, the average man or woman in the pew all over the world will continue to take these passages literally and apply them literally. To illustrate that, I once went to a link from the Baptist Board telling the story of Joanne Shetler, a pioneer Bible translator with a tribe in the Philippines. (And by the way, I admire tremendously the work of such pioneer translators.) When she and her helper came to the passage in Timothy he stopped and considered the matter. The next time they met for church the national leader got up and said, "The missionary has been leading the services, but we learned in the Bible that a man should do so, so I will be leading now." :thumbs:

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The author above is taking the passages literally, using the historico-grammatical hermeneutic, looking into the immediate literary and theological context of the passage and considering the historical context of when it was written. I'm not saying his interpretation is necessarily correct, but there is nothing figurative about it.

12. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I am so thankful that the Word of God can be understood without a degree. I am
    so thankful that I serve a God that made his perfect Word available to us. Many believe that the
    Word of God changes or has mistakes and contradictions within. One of the deceptions that Satan has used so well is to say that certain parts of the Word of God were only relevant at certain times to certain people. This is a lie. In all of this discussion over women "preachers" no one has dealt with the one isue that is as plain as the nose on your face. What is it? Silence. Look it up its in your bible. There are many who will debate with you over the meaning of speaking,prophesying, or usurping authority, but everyone knows what silence is. I hope. Until we believe that God meant exactly what he said, and live it we will be unstable in all our ways.

#72 deacon jd, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  13. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is interesting to me that the word both JoJ and deacon jd respond to was scholar. If he wasn't a 'scholar' and he didn't reference 'scholars' would you pay more attention to his words? I would hope we critically consider the interpretations of Holy Spirit indwelled Christians whether they are scholars or not.

I don't necessarily agree with his interpretation, but presented it as being representative of a significant portion of evangelical Christianity for our consideration.

14. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Egalitarian evangelicals do not believe that the bible is contradictory, only that non-egalitarian interpretations of the bible are contradictory.

Slavery.

15. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God definitely meant what he said. But problems come when we believe God meant exactly what we think he said.

16. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Yes, verbal-plenary inspiration would make a difference in interpretation. However, verbal-plenary is a man-made concept not supported in scripture and it would allow for humans to have created something perfect. "God-breathed" is not "God-spoke." Therefore, I think that is why the very important distinctions are made, as the authors were led by God to do, separating what God specifically said, and what they interpreted things to mean.

17. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

Yes. Slavery is in the Word of God,and if you have a slave you need to treat him as the Word of God instructs you to treat him.

18. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

If he wasn't a scholar I would still have no confidence in his words because it is contrary to the Word of God, and to be honest with you the only person that I know for sure that is led by God the Holy Spirit is myself. The best way to measure a persons words are by comparing them to the Word of God. Gods Word is the only word that matters my friend.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Not quite accurate, The purpose of 1 Timothy was written to instruct Timothy as he corrected heresy among church leaders set up new church leaders in the churches - plural.

I would have to say that this interpretation completely ignores the primary text - IMHO.

20. Karen

Karen Active Member

Marcia,
    We've discussed this before, and I greatly respect your views. But is there no contradiction here in your saying that the example of Priscilla does not justify a woman teaching a man and your own very fruitful book and conference ministry? Men are present in the places and churches in which you speak. Men hear you on the radio.

For that matter, if all these men on this thread are mistaken, why are several women trying to "teach" them differently?
    As a group, we come up with some finely parsed differences between teaching in church and out of church.