1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Pastors?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dianna, Sep 26, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your humble apology. :wavey:

I'm willing to learn on the aorist. When I took Greek grammar in 1976 at Temple Theological Seminary, Dana and Mantey was the text. On furlough in 1986 I took syntax (Brooks and Winbery was the text) and exegesis of Philippians. In none of those classes was the view you are presenting of the aorist taught. I taught Greek in Tokyo for two years in the late 1980's, teaching what I have been taught. Being over here it is hard to get the latest (until Amazon came along), and I've probably stagnated in that area. I'll investigate further.

On the meanings, we will agree to disagree. As a missionary and a grad of a 2 year full time language school, I deal with meanings every day of the year in Greek and Japanese (not to mention English, in which field I worked professionally before coming to Japan), so I am fairly confident in this area.

God bless.

John

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

hehehehe

There aren't many places to teach in Tokyo . . .

;)

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, I taught a little Greek down in Tokyo. He ran a restaurant in the Ginza. I taught him English! :tongue3: :tongue3:

Seriously, it was at the Grace Baptist Bible School, run by the BMM guys.

4. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I met that guy! But, he said he was Iranian . . . ;)

Seriously again, I used to know some Japanese that were studying about that time - they wanted me to teach English at one of the seminaries in Tokyo.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to keep myself honest here. I just looked at Syntax of New Testament Greek, by James Brooks and Carlton Winbery (c. 1979). It describes the aorist in general as punctiliar, but then describes the constative aorist in similar words to what Charles Meadows has been saying: "The constative aorist views the action in its entirity with no reference to its beginning, its end, its progress or its result. The action is simply stated as a fact" (p. 90). However, that still leaves the culminative aorist, gnomic aorist, epistolary aorist, dramatic aorist and futuristic aorist. To explain more than this would turn into a Greek lesson, and most who read this post are probably already bored with it anyway. Sayonara! :type:

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would have been fun! :thumbs:

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Don't rub it in!

;)

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member