1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Preachers - could they be okay?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 10, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Enlighten us.

Ed

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #42 Jerome, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree with you, here.

Didn't Mrs. Sunday, the wife of Billy Sunday go around the country speaking or preaching in churches after Billy went home?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are in the active voice too.

I agree with you but I also find that so many pastors today are taught by the bulldogs in leadership to take these qualifications not as a responsibility and function but as an office.

I believe that a lot of our denominational leaders today are encouraged to be greedy and do not qualify for their position.

Frankly I am shocked at how many support denominational leaders who live lavish lifestyles. When people come from other countries they are shocked at what they see and hear about. They cannot even comprehend why a person would need such a huge house and salary. That sort of thing tells a lot about their focus and what they value. Eventually everyone of those buildings will be torn down or restored. Thne money spent on them would feed and clothe many and reach them in tangible ways. But no we have greedy men leading denominations and ministries who live like pigs and are taking advantage of people because they can.

In contrast, anyone who lives in Houston knows the street named TC Jester. TC Jester was a pastor years ago who pastored in town and gave his life to helping people both spiritually and practically. When I lived there I heard it numerous times from people how often that up to 1/2 of his pay check was already gone because he helped people. How can any pastor prevent himself from being greedy if he does not humbles himself and see how others live? When we get down to their level we will understand what they go through on a daily basis.

Today the denominational leaders who are pastors do not want their salary disclosed in the church they pastor because they are afraid someone will say something. What school teachers are paid is public knowledge and full disclosed but not pastors. Can anyone explain why?

Why should any student who comes from a foreign country see such lavish living? Then we ask them to pay more tuition?

It's the old saying, "we must live simply so that others may simply live."

Yearsd ago I worked for a Christian man who was worth millions and shared his faith. He lived in an average home in an average neighborhood. I knew that he gave a lot of his money away. In the same city were pastors of churches living like kings.

When I look at the homes I have built over the years for people who are very wealthy and compare that to some of our denominational leaders I am schocked. We have denominational leaders living more lavishly than many rich people. A few years ago a friend of mine and I worked together to build a home for the president of a very well known company in the US. It is not nearly the size of home that one of the main SBC leaders lives in. Another gentleman I know who sold one of his companies for $630 million about ten years ago lives in a much smaller home than a lot of the leaders in the SBC.

Years ago I was fortunate to be under an older pastor who reached out to all kinds of people and spent a lot of what the congregation paid him. He did not pastor a very large congregation. What that man did changed my life. Near the end of his life people from all over bought him a lot and built him a very nice brick home in the city for him to retire in. When people are honored by those they have reached and want to help, God is glorified and our young people see what is important. It made the news too. Imagine what people thought when they heard that.

Imagine what it would be like if every time we drove down a street named TC Jester in Houston and were reminded of a pastor who gave himself to reaching people. Imagine what it would be like if we had streets named after pastors in cities rather than hearing about their lavish lifestyle and hearing about those who lived an immoral lifestyle and traking advantage of people in their congregation.

5. nunatak

nunatak New Member

gb 93433,
    Your post has much passion, I enjoyed reading it. :thumbs:

6. BaptistBarb

BaptistBarb New Member

For the life of me I do not understand why any woman would want to pastor or preach, no thanks.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's a great avatar :laugh:

Welcome to the BB, btw!

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Bob, it wasn't crude at all, and it wasn't meant to be funny. It was meant to make a point, which obviously escaped your heavy hand.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

McGee's response should have been for her to continue to teach until a preacher came to her aid.:wavey:

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Like it. No equivocation as you "teach" the Word of God. I personally believe a Missionary is a "teacher" to any one who will listen. I presently see you as a "missionary" teaching what you believe. In this case I believe you as you correctly "teach". All may not agree, which does not change the fact that your "mission" is, in this case, impart what you believe.

11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

But she is not a "Pastor". There were no Pastor's in her day. Moses was chosen to be the "head", and God did not brook anyone opposing Moses.

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Deborah was a "judge". The title is not the same.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Since preaching is, by nature, a position of authority and since women are forbidden from having authority over men in the church, women preachers are not "okay."

As for the mission field, the point of being there is to start churches. A woman can and should witness to men, but that is not the same as preaching.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is preaching "by nature" a position of authority? It is the sharing of truth. I'm not bound to listen to my pastor's preaching, but I am under my pastor's authority biblically speaking. The GC was not intended for men only.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It is telling people what God has said, what they are to believe, and what they are to do. It is not " the sharing of truth;" it is the proclamation of truth with a call to respond in obedience. It is to declare the lordship of Christ and call people into obedience to it.

Your pastor's authority starts with his preaching.

What is the GC?

16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Please give scripture where Jesus said the woman is to be the head of the man. From Heaven He says it is not so -- "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God", I Corinthians 11:3l.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Despite the numerous hermeneutical gymnastics on 1 Cor 11:5, I still believe Paul says that women prayed and prophesied in the local assemblies.

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God", I Corinthians 11:3l.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's prophecying and teaching, too. There is no authority in stating what God has said. The authority lies in God, not the one "sharing the truth."
    Scripture for that please.
    Great Commission.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Biblically, there is authority in some kinds of prophesying and in all teaching. and women are not permitted to exercise autohrity in the church. There is no authority in stating what God has said, but that is not what preaching is. I am increasingly convinced that much of the problem in modern Christianity is that we have no grasp on biblical preaching.

It's the very nature of the pastoral office. Ability to teach is one of the two skill qualifications for pastors. And those elders who rule well in preaching and teaching are worthy of double honor. It is impossible to preaching and teach without authority.

Okay, women are not excluded from the GC, but the GC isn't preaching either.