1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WOMEN PREACHERS

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brother James, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ummm, Care to back that up somehow?

I don't have a clue? Where did that come from and moreover... Why would you say it... to what end?

2. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Tell me how the bishop can be the HUSBAND of one WIFE, if the bishop in your church is a woman? Please answer the question.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. Many so much so that instead of simply submitting to what God says, they determine to submit God to their tests of fairness. God established the order for men and women.

The humble accept it... the power-hungry dispute with God over it.
    No bigotry... not repression. Just obedience.
    Hate themselves? What an incredibly pompous, arrogant assumption.

Care to show some proof that they hate themselves or are unhappy living in accordance with God's Word?

My wife is neither oppressed nor the victim of "bigotry". She is biblically submitted. We have a great relationship that is the envy of people who know us that think more like you. Funny, God's ways aren't man's ways...

Universally, I find that the closer men live to the biblical servant-leader role and women live to the biblically submissive role... the more content and satisfied they are both as individuals and couples.

OTOH, the more women try to behave like men, usurp authority, and rebel against God's order... the more miserable they are.

Likewise, men who rebel against and reject their biblical role, responsibilities, command to love, and manner of leadership are alternately hen-pecked cowards or abusive ogres.

A survey just came out by Pew that basically reflects the more someone leans toward conservatism and values traditions... the happier they are... Interesting how God's Word predicted this would be the case. All Pew would have had to do is read the Book.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am even more interested how a pastor can do that job without teaching or usurping authority over men.

Basically, this person calling themselves a superbaptist rejects the authority of Paul's writings... claiming he is a "red letter" Christian. But he won't find authority for women being leaders over men in Christ's words either... so he claims to meditate and base his beliefs on what some spirit is telling him. Never mind that this spirit is telling him things contrary to scripture.

The one thing he proves is that the Baptist label is all but meaningless since those with very un-baptistic beliefs find it a convenient monicker... and can freely use it.

5. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

As sad as that is, the Baptist denomination overall has very stubbornly held its biblical ground, compared with any other denomination I am aware of, even though it is fast losing ground.

Wherever I go, at least in the South, the best, and sometimes ONLY chance of finding a biblical based church is to look for a Baptist church, usually a smaller one.

It may not last much longer but, for now, the overall Baptist connotation is still intact, I believe.

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yes, the Baptist ChurcH may not be found much longer, right after the rapture only professing baptists will be around and they will eventually cave in to the pressure to remove "Baptist" from their name.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that Baptists held ground so long as it was less a denomination and more a set of biblical principles/distinctives.

I don't mind people like superbaptist on one extreme or Fred Phelps on the other believing whatever they want to believe... but it sickens me that they do so under the banner of a set of ideals that contradicts both of them. Neither of them express hold to baptistic beliefs but both bring dishonor to the label by claiming it publicly.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would actually suspect they'll continue right on being "Baptist" but not baptistic after the rapture.

Many churches who are dropping the label now are doing so not because of pressure... but for the very reason I cite. When virtually any beliefs, practices, or doctrines can be called "Baptist", why would you want to continue to be associated with them?

I am a Bible-believing child of God. Baptist is just a label. Convenient short hand for what I believe. So when the label no longer indicates those beliefs... I am more than willing to operate under another banner.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

But that is exactly why we all should stick to what we know instead of what we presume.

10. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Ouch!! :mad: and oh so funny [​IMG]

11. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

I think that's right on. I just wrote about that in another thread here:

Baptist Name Being Obscured

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you explain this comment? I am not following you.

13. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Eve was the first preacher!

14. BroShane

BroShane New Member

Would you mind giving a little clarification of that statement? I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say, and the basis for it.

Thanks

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What defines a Baptist is the Baptist distinctives. Yet, there are many who have "added" additional requirements to what is required to be baptist. If a church adheres to the Distinctives, they're Baptist, whether they have the label on the shingle or not.

As for the issue of women preachers, it's not a topic in the Distinctives, so to claim a church with a female pastor cannot Baptist is an incorrect claim. Liberal, perhaps. Baptist, no.

Now, on the area of female preachers, there is no scripture that forbids a woman from preaching. There are scriptures which can be interpreted to forbid women from pastoring. But preching and pastoring are two different things.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What defines a Baptist is the Baptist distinctives. Yet, there are many who have "added" additional requirements to what is required to be baptist. If a church adheres to the Distinctives, they're Baptist, whether they have the label on the shingle or not.</font>[/QUOTE] Yes. But you can't deny most or all of them and still be accurately called baptistic.

Yes and no. If it is an argument about what the Bible says concerning the subject then you can make this case. But if it is a denial that scripture is the authority for what we should believe about the subject- then no, one ceases to be "baptistic" when they reject scriptural authority.

That's true with one additional exception. Women are forbidden from teaching men. The context seems to indicate "in public" rather than private witnessing (aka preaching) or discipleship.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

IMO, you can't deny any of them and be called such.
    Suffice it to say there's much debate over the overall context. No need to rehash the whole debate again. As far as being Baptist in regards to the verse, debating the interpretation of the verse is, imo, permissible, and does not "deny" scripture. IOW, I think the issue for Baptist churches fall under the Distinctive of local autonomy on such matters. If a local church interprets scripture to permit women in roles fo authority, then it doesn't mean they're not baptist. Again, they may be liberal in this specific area, but still baptist.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

IMO, you can't deny any of them and be called such.</font>[/QUOTE]
    I was trying to be a "kinder, gentler ScottJ". :D ;)
    Suffice it to say there's much debate over the overall context. No need to rehash the whole debate again. As far as being Baptist in regards to the verse, debating the interpretation of the verse is, imo, permissible, and does not "deny" scripture. IOW, I think the issue for Baptist churches fall under the Distinctive of local autonomy on such matters. If a local church interprets scripture to permit women in roles fo authority, then it doesn't mean they're not baptist. Again, they may be liberal in this specific area, but still baptist. </font>[/QUOTE]There are some here that go beyond that. One in particular states that Paul's writings aren't scripture nor authoritative... and worse yet, represent bigotry toward women.

For my purposes, it takes significant denial/twisting of scripture to justify a female pastor. Whether that church continues to operate under the Baptist banner or not... they have ceased to be baptistic in their respect for scripture.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And you succeeded. Alas, I failed to acknowlege that [​IMG]

Clearly, it's one thing to debate and disagree interpretation and application (and still be Baptist), but it's a whole other thing to deny with a broadbrush the authority of any scriptural writings.

I disagree. I've heard the arguments in favor of, and, while I personally disagree with the conclusions, I don't think it takes the twisting you cite. Just so we're clear, I don't approve of women pastors for Baptists, but I'm SBC and that may have something to do with it ;)
    As much as I disapprove of female pastors, I disagree with your conclusion here. Again, the issue of ine of interpretation, and therefore, such interpretation is protected by the Distinctives. Yes, that church may qualify as liberal, but they are not disqualified as being Baptist.

20. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

You know who dishonors the Baptist Church, those haters, who in the name of Christ, kill and repress.

It has been difficult for me to stay in the Baptist church when so many have brought embarrassment and shame to our Name.

My church is very loving and thankfully there are many who are still. But, it is true, we had to divorce ourselves from those that profess hate. Many in the SBC are still very loving, and many are not. ABC, on the other hand, has been everything I believe Christ intends.

I invite any here to join us in Christ's love. You will look back and see the trail of sinners left professing to be Baptists themselves and you will feel relief to be equally yolked with those who welcome you with loving arms.

Anyone with a soul is qualified to minister, women included. In the time of Corinthians, they were uneducated and brought discord to the church. This is why Paul specifically hushed them. I only wish some men I have met in the church, would sit down, read and listen for a change!