1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Sunday School Teachers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gregory Perry Sr., Jan 20, 2005.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

;) Ok...here we go..We have another thread in here that deals with women deacons (or not)that has touched...or should I say SLAMMED head on into the subject of women teaching sunday school.It was "off topic" in the other thread so I'll put it to question over here.I do have a personal interest in this topic since it is an issue I have encountered in my own church.I won't give specifics on that just yet or quote any scriptures at this time...I just want to see what everybody individually thinks about it.I will offer my own opinion in a later post and give the scriptural basis for it.For now I'll just frame the topic with a few questions.
    1)Should women teach sunday school classes?
    2)If so,what age groups should they be teaching?
    3)Should a woman EVER be put in the position of teaching an adult man?
    4)Should a woman EVER be put in the position of teaching an adolescent male teenager?
    5)What is the SCRIPTURAL basis/foundation for any of the above?
    6)In what ways CAN any woman scripturally serve the Lord in a local New Testament church?

Remember folks..This is NOT a discussion about women being Pastors,Deacons,Elders,or Bishops.It is a discussion about womans rightful GOD-HONORED place of service in His local church.Let's try to stay ON-TOPIC and remember to PRAY BEFORE POSTING!Shoe leather really doesn't TASTE very good.

I will say only one thing more for now.It is IMPOSSIBLE for anybody to stand before a group of people for the purpose of teaching the Word of God,and NOT do it with AUTHORITY.The Word of God MUST be taught WITH AUTHORITY.That is part of this issue that figures into the answers about it.

Fire away people....but remember to have grace about it...and be nice!

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Yes.
    2) Any age.
    3) Yes.
    4) Yes.
    5) Sunday School is not an institution found in the Bible. It is a man-made convenience.
    6) Any way not prohibited by the Bible, such as being an elder or deacon.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck staying on topic -

They may

Any age, instructing girls or women

Never

4)Should a woman EVER be put in the position of teaching an adolescent male teenager?
    I would never allow it, but know many churches that use husband/wife teams

They have been discussed here a gajillion times

6)In what ways CAN any woman scripturally serve the Lord in a local New Testament church?
    Cannot pastor, deacon or teach (position of authority) over men. That eliminated, she can serve in any other capacity.

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Ken...interesting answer on #5.Shouldn't our churches be following a scriptural form or "structure"?Hummmmmmm.

Greg Sr.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thanks Dr.B....I'm in agreement with most of what you said.
    I don't believe in "luck" so I won't let that bother me...and I'm fairly new here and have an inquiring mind so we'll go for the next "gajillion"....LOL

We have a situation in my church that involves a very wonderful christian lady teaching an adult SS class.I don't attend the class but many of the adult couples do.I have spoken to my pastor about it and he replied that she does it under his authority.He doesn't,however,believe in women preachers/pastors or deacons.

Greg Sr.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the Sunday School is not mentioned in the New Testament, I know of churches that won't have a Sunday School - at least not one divided into different age groups.

I have been in two Sunday School classes since I became a Southern Baptist that had a woman teacher(my current one does) and I have not found myself to be uncomfortable with the arrangement.

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Ken,Like I said...the issue that causes the controversy is authority.The Word of God must be taught with authority.It's an authoritative Book from cover to cover.The issue boils down to what the Bible says in 1 Timothy 2:11-14.It's a sticky issue in this day and time I know.I've just personally never been comfortable sitting under a woman teacher since the Word of God should be taught authoritatively and the woman is commanded NOT to usurp authority over the man in this passage.I have no problem however with a woman giving testimony,singing,or teaching young children or other women.I have been a member in Independent Baptist Churches and am now a member of an SBC church with a very strong Bible preaching pastor.It is where God led me after a long season in my life away from church.But,I do have some standards/convictions that differ.I try to base what I do and what I believe strictly on the Word of God.The only thing that REALLY matters is the will of God.

Greg Sr.

8. Gregory Perry Sr.

One other thing...I do NOT believe that this is an issue that should be divisive to the point of splitting a church or causing a big uproar.But a lot of people do have a major difficulty with it.I just believe that we as christians have an obligation to stay on track with what the Word of God teaches....Dr.Bob....what's your point of view on this passage of scripture?Just curious.

Greg Sr.

9. mioque

mioque New Member

My church has the husband-wive sundayschool teacher thing.

1)Sure
    2) 3) 4) We don't have sundayschool for people over the age of 13 in my church.
    5)Sundayschool is purely an extra-biblical tradition.
    6)any non-leadership capacity?

10. 2Timothy4:1-5

2Timothy4:1-5 New Member

If there aren't any men in the church that are qualified (as was the case at a church I used to attend many, many moons ago) then I see nothing wrong with a woman teaching the class, as long as she is qualified.

Kenneth

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

I would say no. Unfortunately, of our 13 Sunday teachers, 10 are women and 1 is a husband wife team. We haven't been successful in finding men that will put on the role of teacher.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Kenneth...I would consider that...but it's not the case here as far as I can see.

Greg Sr.

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gib...I strongly suspect that that is the case in most places where this dilemma exists....namely ...finding dedicated spiritual,godly men who are able and willing to step up to the plate..so to speak.God bless the womens hearts that they desire to serve...but I believe that it would be better to have no class at all in a specific age group rather than put the women into a situation they are not(scripturally)suited or intended for.Years ago,I attended Trinity Baptist in Jacksonville,Fla..Dr.Bob Gray was pastor at the time.He taught the adult class in the main auditorium and then went straight into preaching at the 11am hour.Not to say that that IS the correct model for EVERYBODY...but it definitely worked well there...and at the time Trinity was running well over 2 thousand in SS and preaching services.JMO

Greg Sr.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have a question no one ever answers. How do you know when boys are too old for women techers? At what age do you determine them to be men and can not be taught by women? And how do you make this determination?

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yes.

Any age women and girls. Boys up to about 11 years old in a mixed class only.

No. Not PUT in the position in a church setting but witnessing outside the church is fine.

ONLY With her husband as lead teacher in a mixed boy/ girl class. Some churches have so few teens that it's not possible to have classes for boys and classes for girls. A class with one student will become a class with zero students. Teens are very self conscious already. Our college aged classes are taught by a husband wife team to avoid any appearances of evil from a man being alone with a young college woman and vice versa.

The age of accountability is based on this passage of scripture. OUTSIDE Of scripture I would suggest that when a boy reaches puberty it is no longer 'seemly' for a woman other than his relatives to be alone with this young man. Jewish tradition is also, honestly, a reason for using this age.

Teachers for women and girls. VBS teachers for girls or younger children. Choir / handbell leaders for or women. Pianist/ Organist. Soloist. Voluteer in office. Witnessing. Card writing. Contacts by phone or hospital/ home visits. Cooking for church functions. Helping clean a small church. Teaching other women crafts, etc. Sewing for the nursing homes. Driving church members to doctor's appointments. Working in the nursery, children's church or extended session for other age groups. Assisting her husband in HIS ministry for the church.

The Hebrew word 'ishsha, "woman, wife," is thought to be derived from a root '-n'sh, "to be soft, delicate." While it is similar to Hebrew 'ish, "man", there is an intentional contrast in the meaning, for 'ish seems to come from a root '-y-sh, "to be strong"... It's important for us to recognize that when God created mankind (Hebrew 'adam), when He made human beings in His image, He created them both male and female. Therefore the image of God appears equally in both, and the peculiar personality characteristics of each sex are needed fully to mirror the nature of God. The very word 'ishsha for "woman" suggests her special God-given sensitivities and gifts in the emotional realm. Women have a special sensitivity to human needs which enables us to understand the situations and feelings of other people.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

?

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Why the question mark Donna?

seem·ly (sēm'lē)
    adj.,
    Conforming to standards of conduct and good taste; suitable: seemly behavior.
    Of pleasing appearance; handsome.
    adv.
    In a seemly manner; suitably.

Abstain from even the appearance of evil. Give no cause to the enemy for anyone to question our actions.

Haven't you seen on the news how many female teachers (public school) are having sex with teenaged boys? We had two arrested in our area last week. We also had a couple of coaches arrested for having sex with teen girls. A police officer placed in our middle school as a 'counselor' to boys and girls solicited oral sex from a few very young middle schoolers. In my mothers church in Florida, the youth leader got a 16 year old girl pregnant. He and his wife are going to adopt her baby.

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Can't really add much to Dr. Bob's view. Except maybe some Scripture.
    2Ti 2:2
    And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Paul is addressing a young Preacher/Pastor here. It is clear that it is the Pastor's responsibility to teach the faithful men of the church who then teach others. I think this principle extends to our Sunday School model.

Next, ...women.

Tit 2:3
    The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
    Tit 2:4
    That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
    Tit 2:5
    To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

This is all I can find as a direct Scriptural injunction for women who would be "teachers". To break it down, this says the older women (Age wise or possibly mature in the Lord) are to teach younger women the things which characterize a Godly woman.

In light of these passages, I would echo both Dr. Bob ( :eek: ) and Diane.
    Who would have thunk I would agree with that "recovering Pharisee"? [​IMG] :D (All in fun Bro.)

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

So now your accusing me of seeming to be evil? Of appearing to be evil?
    Well, I want that proven, you can not accuse people without evidence. Which you have repeatly done on this thread and the other one.

How many is that (who've had sex with teachers) out of the total of how many boys over 12 who are in schools? Is that 1 in 10, 1 in 100, 1 in 1,000, or 1 in 10,000 students? You seem to know based on the evening news.
    And have you never seen this happen outside of schools, like in families, in day care, by strangers? Do you honestly think someone has to be a teacher of the unger age person they have sex with them? Well I hate to disappoint you, but it doesn't work like that. Just check your local news. Children are sexually abused all the time, and for the most part it is family members, or other people they know or trust, those in charge of them ,like daycare providers(remember the McMartin daycare sex child abuse scandle?). What we get in our local news is parents, both mothers and fathers, and then sometimes older siblings, strangers, and daycare providers, we have not had a teacher verses student.
    If a grown man wants to have sex with a girl, they are going to find one, he doesn't have to be a teacher or youth leader to do it. Besides that says a father can not be around his daughter after she begins puberty. Like if he is going to do it puberty matters to him.

20. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

who was it that taught the largest sunday school class, with both men and women in attendance, at 1st Baptist Dallas while W.A. Criswell was pastor? I believe that was his wife. I think that I will trust Dr Criswell on this one, as long as the teacher is under the authority of the pastor she is within God's will as a teacher of both women and men.