1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Sunday School Teachers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gregory Perry Sr., Jan 20, 2005.

1. Gayla

Gayla New Member

donnA, I see no accusation anywhere.

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

1)yes...with exceptions
    2)women of all ages, both sexes under the age of 18 however, I think it's important to have a male leader around for the adolecent boys
    3) NO and vice versa
    4)well, i'm in that position. Sadly, my church is so small that there isn't a guy qualified to teach with me. I'm praying for one though.
    5)i'm sure the rest of you will beat this question in the ground so I'm not going to bother

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

No, you misunderstood. A young woman alone with an older teen boy could give cause for 'gossip' or 'temptation'. That would be the appearance of evil.

Our pastors will not counsel a woman without another adult present for that reason. We should avoid any situation that might harm our witness and, in my opinion, that would include a single young woman alone with a young man in her youth group.

Diane

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Our pastor leaves the door open, with the secratery in the other room(office), unless he is not alone with her(the woman seeking counseling) then he closes the door. In the past I've taken another woman or my husband with me.

7. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Hopefully I have misinterpreted that me teaching my boys is the appearance of evil??? I am completely pure of heart with them. How can someone gossip about that! I don't understand.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

In 'someone's eyes' this could be an appearance of evil if you were alone in a closed room with a young man. We are to avoid even the appearance of evil so our testimony won't be harmed. [​IMG]

9. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Well I think we know how I feel about people perceiving things wrongly and assuming things they shouldn't. You,I, and some of the other ladies already went down that road on the ladies forum. I don't want to have to hash that one out again! [​IMG] I'll stay away from the firing squadron on that debate.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why does she have to be alone with the door closed?

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Tim 2:11-14 "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."

Pretty clear. Because of the ability for Eve to be deceived and lead man into sin, the rule for church conduct is NOT to have women teach/lead men. Rather they should be silent.

NOT a happy subject for "liberated" women, but it is clear.

If a woman stood up to teach me in Sunday School, I would walk out. Without question.

Oh, wait, we don't HAVE Sunday School in our church!

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Dr. Bob, my husband and I have said the samething if a woman was going to teach we'd leave.

13. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Why would a woman want to teach grown men? I'm sure someone has an opinion.

14. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

I stick by my posts that were in the deacons thread. Women are unable to appropriatly teach a male. because there are bullying problems, bullying problems with boys are very different from girls, boys dont keep grudges they will go strait to fighting (as i did) when this happens they will keep a sertin boy from places by threats of violence. It is harder for a woman to see this happening because they look for other things(I know this by experience of woman teachers not seeing boys being picked on as well as a man). I do not mean that women can not see any boys bullying eachother but when they did they would try to protect the weakest one by punishing the others and asking qwestions which end up getting the kid picked on even more, if it wasent dealt with that way and the defending boy fought back the entire group would be punished when it was clear it was out of self defence.
    Another point is the activities, the activities within my sunday school classes were very aimed at girls among most women teachers (such as singing songs that have hand motions to them, colloring, and crafts which end up with flower pots or braclets). I would would have to carry crafts that were embarasing to hold all through the service. The male teachers would have seen a boy being bullyed easyer and would have gone about it to encurage the kid to stand up for himself, and a male would be better with boys activities. in conclusion there should be a male teacher in charge of male students. It would have made my life easyer as a student and now what i say can help another kid.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mrs. Criswell taught Sunday School for years at FBC, Dallas.

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: gb....just cause Mrs.Criswell did that doesn't make it right...The Bible IS clear on this subject.She subjected everyone in her class to the possible fallout that always comes from clear disobedience to the Word of God.That is just MY OPINION...and I will add that this has NOTHING to do with the state of her salvation...since I'm sure some may jump all over me for "judging".1 Timothy 2:9-15 is STILL in the Bible today and men and women are still expected to obey it.On that I stand.

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: One more point to question here....If a woman is teaching "under the authority" of the pastor,does that make it OK?Is there scripture that gives a pastor this kind of authority?Folks...I'm NOT trying to start trouble...just trying to get at the truth.Food for thought.

Greg Sr. [​IMG] :confused: [​IMG]

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well the early church did not have Sunday School until about the 1800's. So I am not sure how you could equate Sunday School with pastoring a church. My point was that if I remember right Dr. Bob went to FBC, Dallas or had some kind of connection there years ago.

19. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

I teach the middler class, though most of my kids have chosen to stay in my class instead of moving up when they're eligible to. My oldest daughter is the only student in the teen class. (We have a small church at the moment).

My twin sons are the only boys in my class. They will be 14 in a few months. My husband coomes in my class with me and helps, but to be totally honest, he is not a teacher. It's just not his calling.

Anyway, I don't mind teaching my own sons, but if there were other young men in our church, I would certainly speak to my pastor about getting one of the men in the church to have a class for them. There is a lady who teaches the high school class. I don't know what I'll do if my twin boys decide to move out of my class and into the high school class. I need to discuss that with my husband.

Funny thing . . . when we first got married, the church was bigger and the older kids were divided up by gender. Now that the church's attendance is off, this hasn't been an issue for several years.

All I have to say about the issue of appearances . . . if King David could be tempted by a woman he saw from afar, I don't think we can trust ourselves to be in precarious situations. We can never, ever say that it won't happen to us.

God tells us that Satan is sneaking about seeking whom he may DEVOUR! And if we get too prideful about "being in control" of what we do, then surely there w will be a fall somewhere along the line.

Julia

20. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Might as well add my $0.02 to this mix:

1) Should the end, therefore, justify the means?

2) Who, precisely, is to blame for the fact that we have so few men willing to step forward and teach young men?

The pastor's fault? Possibly.

The fault each of the men individually in that congregation? MOST DEFINITELY!!!!!

3) And, what,

a) precisely, is the pastor doing to rectify this situation?

b) precisely, are each of the wives doing to rectify this situation in each of their homes?