1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women teachers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

We just moved and visited a SBC church today and the Sunday School class was taught by a woman. I was told her and a man take turns every Sunday in teaching. Would this bother anyone today? I have set under a woman before in past churches, but now I truly feel Scripture says men are to teach men, and that women are not to teach men. She did a great job and was I could tell she knew her Bible very well from the answers she gave to those who raised questions. Otherwise the church seems to be great; the Pastor and the fellowship are wonderful. I think I could sit under a woman again, but would you all advise us to look elsewhere for a church? Thanks

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go as the Lord leads you. I would point out, however, that scripture (New Testament) actually shows women teaching men. The scriptural reference against women is in 1 Cor 14, and is referencing women speaking out of turn in the church service.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, I'd disagree with this. We see no examples of women teaching men in the church and Paul's instructions against it are pretty clear.

I'd not be comfortable with a woman teaching a class at church by herself unless it was just for the women or children. We HAVE had women teaching along with their husbands but not a woman by herself.

4. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

I see nothing wrong with attending a Sunday School class taught by woman alone, or a woman and man team. I have had several women Sunday School teachers over the years. And all of them have been good teachers. I cannot say that about all of the men teachers I have had.

In my opinion it depends upon how receptive you are to a woman teacher. If you are against a woman teaching your class, then maybe you would get more out of a class taught by a man.

As suggested, let the Holy Spirit guide you.

...Bob

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

6. slave 4 Christ

slave 4 Christ New Member

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got me there; the examples I was thinking of were in households, not the church proper. Good catch.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Also notice that it was a wife with a husband when this teaching took place. I'd hope that in many cases, a husband and wife WOULD teach together because I think there are different perspectives that are quite important.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you. :)

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

As long as the woman is operating under the authority of the pastor, I don't think this is a problem.

11. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Most men I've heard can't teach exegetically to save their lives. There may not be Scriptural precedence, but I say let the women try. My wife is theologically deeper than most men who teach in our church. There's no Scriptural basis for much of how the modern church operates, but that hasn't stopped us yet. :BangHead:

12. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I will put it to prayer and trust the Holy Spirit will guide me. Again--Thanks and God bless!!

13. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

There is not one place in the NT showing women teaching men that I have ever seen Don.

Some passages are interpreted assumtively then the assumption taught as fact.

(sorry Don, I see you already addressed this)

#13 preacher4truth, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I travel often and the last time I walked into a church and was told there was a woman pastor,I turned to walk out,a deacon said why are you going?
    I explained I needed to leave so not to dis-obey God.
    He said I am sorry you feel that way. I explained how I felt about it has nothing to do with it.....but that the scripture is clear on it.

15. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

So, did you make it to a church that morning?

...Bob

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If a woman teaches under the authority of the pastor then she is not usurping the authority of a man. I can't see anything un-biblical about it.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No....I was out in nevada in a place called battle mountain, i only saw a RC church....so I listened to some sermonaudio sermons

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let a woman in quietness learn in all subjection,

12and a woman I do not suffer to teach, nor to rule a husband, but to be in quietness,

13for Adam was first formed, then Eve,

14and Adam was not deceived, but the woman, having been deceived, into transgression came,

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly, that's about a woman and her husband, not a woman and all males everywhere.

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe there is a difference in a woman teaching Sunday School, and pastoring a church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.