1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women's authority over men?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Apr 11, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, around here, I'm the 'master' of the Refrigerator, more than is my bride. And both of us are far more concerned when we stare at the refrigerator looking for one thing, we notice something staring back at us. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ed

#21 EdSutton, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  2. PK

PK New Member

your exactly right! WOW!!
    Do think our government would be better if it was ran like the church? Shouldn't the module of the church and the home be a module for everything else. After all God did design it's structure.

3. mactx

mactx New Member

I been thinking on this. I think it is more telling that God gave women direction of where they were to be, not where they are not to be.

No there is no prohibition from women working. However if they can not manage their home, how could they manage a job or a country? Just as the Bible says if a man can not mangae his duties in the home he has no place as an elder or deacon.

Yes I am an unltraconservative fuddy duddy, but I figure, God is very good at telling us all we need to know to follow His will for our life, not just His will for the church. I figure HIS words come through Paul for women to be silent means just that, women are to teach women and children, period.

Claiming Paul's letters out of date or for his time only, is a bad move, because Christ claimed that what ever the apostles bound on earth would be bound in Heaven too. Basically what they said for a Christian to do, we are to do because Christ sanctioned it. So following the logical road on it, calling Paul out of date means calling Christ out of date since He inspired Paul. :flower:

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget Huldah the prophetess:

2 Chronicles 34:22 And Hilkiah, and they that the king had appointed, went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvath, the son of Hasrah, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college and they spake to her to that effect.
    23 And she answered them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Tell ye the man that sent you to me,
    24 Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the inhabitants thereof, even all the curses that are written in the book which they have read before the king of Judah:
    25 Because they have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the works of their hands; therefore my wrath shall be poured out upon this place, and shall not be quenched.
    26 And as for the king of Judah, who sent you to enquire of the LORD, so shall ye say unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel concerning the words which thou hast heard;
    27 Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard thee also, saith the LORD.​

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a huge difference between a prophet and a pastor. A prophet has no authority other than the word that they say directly from the Lord. We know in the New Testament, women are allowed to pray and prophecy in the public gathering - but they were not to teach or have authority over a man.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

There's a difference in saying "Paul's words don't apply," (I don't), and saying, "Let's faithfully apply the text." Paul was talking about the church, not government.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually if you are an "unltraconservative fuddy duddy" then you are probably a literalist when it comes to Scripture.

If you are then please note that according to the following literal text in 1 Corinthians a woman is forbidden to speak in the church.
    There are no exceptions in this passage as to whether they can teach other women and/or children, but are to be silent, period.

1 Corinthians 14:34
    Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak;
    but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Just curious about one thing, if women teach children in Sunday School in your church how do you address this passage?

Do they sing, pray aloud or give testimonies in church?

Forbidden, is it not according to this passage?

HankD

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Ann,

How do you interpret the post and the Scripture (below) I made just after the one I did on Huldah the prophetess?

1 Corinthians 14:34
    Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak;
    but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Are women allowed to teach anyone (other women, children) in the local church according to this passage?

Just an FYI, I believe they are but one has to compare Scripture with Scripture, but let me know your answer anyway.

Thanks
    HankD

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, let's not just take one or two verses out of context but let's measure it against the rest of the writings in the book.

Looking back at chapter 11, Paul says "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven." So here we see that a woman is able to pray and prophesy. It would be in public since 14:3 says "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort." So, women are allowed to pray and prophesy in the church congregation.

Now, let's see the verse in light of that: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. " and then verse 40 states "Let all things be done decently and in order."

So, I think we can comfortably understand that women are not to speak in the learning time - that things should be done decently and in order. If they have a question, they are to ask their husbands and not interrupt the service to ask questions. They are to be silent and not interrupt the teaching or even other's prophesy. I'd say that this is an important thing for us wives to understand. Go to our husbands for discussing Bible issues and let them teach us and answer our questions. I know that for me personally, it's led to some excellent discussions with my hubby and I've learned a lot and he's even had to learn sometimes to be able to answer my questions.

Here is a chapter from Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood that addresses this issue. It's long but very good.

http://www.cbmw.org/images/onlinebooks/rbmw/silent_in_churches.pdf

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Good question...but????

Does the Bible give any kind of rules on "secular" positions?

AJ

11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I wont go into this, but just to say....that the Bible is timeless and never out of date.

Can we just honor the teachings of the bible (and Paul) that we like? and call the rest outdated?

Yes, women do alot more today that they did even 60 years ago (before WWII), but does that make it godly?

AJ

12. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I am going back to my original question.

If you wont accept a woman running your church, then how can you accept a woman running the whole country?

If a woman is forbidden to run the household, then how can she run everyone else's household?

do you think that just because the Bible doesnt name major corporations and governments that it is ok for women to rule there?

The bible doesnt mention pot or cocaine, but I believe that the overall message of the bible teaches us to abstain.

So, let me try to understand this......if the bible doesnt mention a particular topic...especially one that is relatively new to our culture.......then it is ok to partake of it, since it is not forbidden by word in the bible?

Some of you have let liberalism just overcome you, and you are trying to justify your desires of the flesh by claiming that God is not against it.....pathetic.

I have some desires that I fight with everyday, but I dont try to justify them so that I can keep going with them.

AJ

13. readmore

readmore New Member

This is not necessarily a "rule", but it may, you find, be relevant:

Romans 13:1
    So... If Hillary were elected President, would her power be ordained of God?

How about if she were a senator?

14. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I agree...if she is holding an office then we should respect that, and honor her leadership....

But, she is elected by the whole population, not just christians.

My point is this, should we, as christians, choose to put a woman in power over men?

Also, I have struggled over the scriptures that say that people who are in power are ordained by God....what about Hitler, Stalin, and Castro? Did God approve of their governments, or did He just allow it for a time?

AJ

15. readmore

readmore New Member

What if the choices were Condi Rice or Barak Obama?

Good point. I can't answer that one.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Governmental leadership is not new to this culture. Neither are female leaders (Deborah? Esther?)

I love the scorched-earth approach you take. If I vote for a female for president (won't happen this year...) then I'm for pot & cocaine use? Can someone say non-sequitur?

Wow. You went three whole posts before you start in with the name-calling. Just because someone disagrees with you (and they explain their Biblical position to boot) doesn't make them "liberal." I wouldn't serve under a woman senior pastor. But (although I wouldn't vote for Hillary) I couldn't rule out voting for a female president...depends on the alternate candidates, the situation, her qualifications, etc.

ajg, how 'bout let's have discussion, and let's forego the name-calling, 'K?

17. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I did not say that, what I said was that just because the Bible doesnt "name" a particular topic doesnt mean that God approves of it. I never said that if you vote for a female president that you are for pot and cocaine use.....all I said was that Pot and cocaine are nat named by word in the Bible, and neither is a female president, and that many would say that since it is not forbidden by name in the Bible, that it must be ok.

And yes....if you are for abortion, and homosexual marriage, then you are a liberal.

If you think that women should serve in authoratative positions over men, then you are a liberal.

BTW......I never called anyone a name.....look at my post. I was referring to liberals, but not naming any. But you came out of the woodwork and declared yourself a "liberal" by being offended by my post.

And yes.....I am a "conservative", and you can feel free to call me one.

AJ

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Nice ad hominem.

I am not for gay marriage, nor abortion. If you would ask, before assuming, I would gladly tell you.

I'm "offended," as you put it, (I find it humorous, actually. Not much gets me riled)......because you are name-calling when someone just might disagree with you on one issue....even though we agree on so many others. I just find that kind of behavior immature.

By the way.....the BB isn't like some other boards you may have frequented. Name-calling and inflammatory posts aren't nearly as accepted here as on other sites. Just FYI.

19. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I dont get this, I didnt call names or post an imflammatory post.

Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?

AJ

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Not at all. I just expressed my opinion earlier that Paul's admonition regarding women was an ecclesiastical one, not a political one. e.g., I have issues with a woman senior pastor because Scripture does. I do not have issue with woman political leaders because as I understand Scripture, no such prohibition exists.

You wrote the following:

You don't think this is inflammatory? Keep in mind--your post has to do with women in politics. We're not talking about the doctrine of Salvation or the Trinity here. I think it's way over the top to use that kind of rhetoric on an issue such as this.

Furthermore, I just wanted to clear my name. Just because I might vote for a female does not mean I am pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage. I simply have to point out that distinction, because it is enormous.

Since you feel I am fight-picking, I'll leave this conversation as it is, and not cause further acrimony. Good day. :wavey: