1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Womens hair

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Danny Hurley, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Wouldn't wearing a veil or a hat draw unwanted attention to a woman, and cause a distraction in church?

love,

Sopranette

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I have heard that the word 'head' in this verse is referring to her husband (see 11:3)

3. DonnaMartinez

DonnaMartinez New Member

IMO you are using this so called "command" out of context. Dont just pick one verse and read it. Continue reading.

1Cr 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering.

1Cr 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Edited to add : Just for the record I have long hair.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Curious DHK, are you married? And if you are, does your wife obey this command? And if she does, how does she?

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! Wearing a hat or headcovering doesn't make someone any holier than anybody wlse. Not wearing one doesn't make someone less obedient to Christ.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I doubt it. I know I wouldn't pay anymore attention to a woman wearing a hat than I would if she didn't wear one. More than likely, I would assume that she just likes wearing hats rather than assuming anything about whether she's submissive to her husband or not.

7. standingfirminChrist

Whatever would make you think a hat would be distractive?
    [​IMG]

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Oh, my! What poor creature gave up the ghost for that creation (and doesn't she look thrilled to have it attached to the side of her skull) ??

love,

Sopranette

9. AAA

AAA New Member

The Mennonite and Amish still believe in the Head covering doctrine...

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Next thing we know, we'll be given the size, color, measurements, and appropriate fabric for the best, most spiritual headcoverings, at which angle we should be wearing them, when and where to wear them, and whether or not we must use bobby pins or clippies. Oh yeah, and at what age we need to start wearing them.

Yes, I'm poking fun, but really, this sort of thing gets ridiculous after a while. When will people stop focusing on what we women should or shouldn't wear and start remembering that God looks at the heart, not the HAT?

11. Danny Hurley

Danny Hurley New Member

The question to begin with was why did paul say? For this cause ought a woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

12. standingfirminChrist

Does hat size define spirituality?
    [​IMG]

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Scripture is clear on this matter. I'll give you my position by expounding the passage so that there will be no question in your mind as to why a woman should wear a head covering.

First:
    1 Corinthians 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
    --Paul calls this an ordinance, which means a command. I find it interesting that he goes from this problem in the church right to the Lord's Table. This was a command in the church in as much as keeping the Lord's Table was a command. It is a command.

Second:
    The Greek word "uncovered" in verse 5 is "akatakalupto".
    The Greek word for "covering" in verse 15 is "peribolaiou," a completely different word.
    Thus, the covering in verse 15 is not the same covering referred to in verse 5. Neither would the verse make sense if it were inserted there.

Third:
    The ASV properly translate the word "akatakalupto" correctly as "veiled," as referring to a head-covering.

Four:
    The word "periboulaiou" is an obvious reference used in contrast to verse 14 to contrast the short hair on men.

Five:
    Now most importantly of all consider the entire passage which gives a series of arguments of why women should wear a head covering:

1. Because of the headship of man (vs 3-6)

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
    --This is the theme of verses 3-6. She must cover her head (veil or hat) in order to show that she is in submission, or that her husband is the head of the home.

The head of the man is Christ, and head of the woman is the man.
    That is the principle expounded on in the next two verses.

The ASV shows this well.
    1 Corinthians 11:5-6 But every woman praying or prophesying with her head unveiled dishonoreth her head; for it is one and the same thing as if she were shaven.

6 For if a woman is not veiled, let her also be shorn: but if it is a shame to a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be veiled.
    --It was a shame and a disgrace either to be without a head-covering, or to be shorned/shaven. So choose which you would rather be. That is how important this command is.

2. Because of God's order in creation (vs 8.9)

1 Corinthians 11:8-9 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

--The man was created first and the woman second. This is God's order. For this reason also a woman ought to wear a head-covering. It shows order in God's creation.

3. Because of the angels (v 10)

1 Corinthians 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
    --You may never fully understand this verse, but take it by faith for the Bible says it. The fact is that the angels have never experienced redemption. They desire to look into it. The word power is the word for authority.

1 Corinthians 11:10 for this cause ought the woman to have a sign of authority on her head, because of the angels. (ASV)
    --The head-covering is a sign that the woman is under the authority of the man.

4. Because of a sense of propriety (v 13)

1 Corinthians 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
    --The word "comely" means: suitable, proper, right, fit. It is just the right thing to do. That is what Paul is saying. He saying matter of factly: You judge: Isn't this common sense--it is the right thing to do. Common sense tells us that.

5. Because of the natural order of things (the distinction between male & female and the woman's natural covering; vs 14,15)

1 Corinthians 11:14-15 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
    --There is a distinction between the hair of the woman and the hair of a man. Even nature itself teaches that man has short hair, and it is a shame for a man to have long hair. In most cultures the male has the short hair. They automatically know that. The long hair on a woman is a glory to her. It makes her beautiful. Most men prefer long hair on a woman. Long hair on a man quite often makes a man look effeminate. Does not nature itself teach you... It should.

But then we live in a wicked and adulterous generation that Jesus spoke of.

6. Because of the practice of all the churches (v 16)

1 Corinthians 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

--This is one of the strongest arguments, not the weakest as some would suppose.

Paul says we have no such custom--that is the custom of being contentious. If any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom. It is not our custom to be contentious, neither is it the custom of the churches of God to be contentious.

It is the custom of the churches of God to wear a head-covering. So if you are disobeying the Lord in this matter don't argue with me, your argument is with God, Paul is saying. Don't be contentious with me. This commandment is from the Lord, and all the churches of God practice it. It is God's command.

This is an airtight argument that women ought to be wearing head-coverings in the services of the church.

14. PastorSBC1303

Thanks, now can you answer my questions....

Thanks.

15. Beth

Beth New Member

I don't always agree with your posts

but this really WAS funny, Standing in Christ, ROFL!

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes I am married.
    My wife wears a head scarf. It is something that she can easily carry with her and does not look gaudy or unfashionable.

17. Danny Hurley

Danny Hurley New Member

So are you implying it is ok for a Sister in the church to cut her hair or covering as paul said, so long as she wears a hat?
    Why does a man have to keep his hair cut? If the hair does not matter, then can a man wear a hat?

#37 Danny Hurley, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  18. PastorSBC1303

Thanks for the answers.

19. Beth

Beth New Member

Oh MY

This one is even better!!!

Ok, something constructive...I am enjoying reading this thread...this is certainly a subject which has been discussed quite a bit on forums.

20. standingfirminChrist

All right all you ladies... do you have your head coverings secure? Great!! Let us pray...

[​IMG]
    Seriously, there is no set definition for the head covering. And scripturally, I cannot find that the women must wear one unless they have no hair. Their hair is their covering.

#40 standingfirminChrist, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008